Advanced prop_physics

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Advanced prop_physics

Postby Tutorial on Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:58 pm

category
General Half-Life 2/Entities

description
A few examples of what you can achieve with prop_physics entities.

keywords
advanced, prop, physics, prop_physics, physic.

This is an advanced tutorial on using props physics for things such as pictures on a wall, computers on a desk, etc. The CSS map "Office" is a good example of using props_physics.

To start off we need to recognize what models can be used as prop_physics and what models can't. Not all models can be used as a prop_physic and if they are then they will be deleted from the map during compiling. 3 example models that can be used as prop_physics are, "models/props/cs_office/TV_plasma.mdl", "models/props/cs_office/offpaintingb.mdl", and "models/props/cs_office/Table_coffee.mdl".

First off lets start by creating a flat screen T.V. that hangs on the wall. We want the T.V. to stay on the wall and fall off when its shot at. First place a "prop_physics" entitie into the map. Then open up the entitie's properties and click on "world model" and then "browse" to select the "models/props/cs_office/TV_plasma.mdl" model. After this we need to specify that the model will not move until it takes damage. Click on
"Health Level to Override Motion". Type in a number (30 will be good for this model). This specifies how much damage the model will take before it breaks and falls to the ground. Let's add a little fun to this T.V. by making a small explosion that occurs when the T.V. breaks. Click on "Explosion Radius" and set it to a small number like 5.

That's it for the T.V., you can use this same method to make pictures on a wall. Just make sure the pictures have a 0 explosion radius. It wouldn't be very realistic to see a picture of someone explode off of a wall.

Here's a before and after pic of what the T.V. should look like if made properly.

Now for models that will lay on a surface such as a table on a floor or a computer on a desk. This is basically the same exact process as making the T.V. except for a small change.

Let's make a computer that will sit on a desk and explode into pieces when shot at a few times.

Create another "prop_physics" entitie and choose the "models/props/cs_office/computer_monitor.mdl" model. Set the "Health Level to Override Motion" to a number around 50. Now go to the "Flags" tab and select "Motion Disabled". This will keep the player from bumping into it and moving it. The model won't move now until it takes enough damage. Now set the "Explosion Radius" to a small number such as 1.

Well that was it. You can use the same method for the computer as a table. Just make sure the "Explosion Radius" is set to 0.

Here is a before and after pic of what the computer should look like.

That was easy now wasn't it. I hope this has helped expand your knowledge on using "prop_physics".

Spartan 34
- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Postby Spartan on Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:07 am

Woot my first tutorial ever.
:smt020
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby shaun_amos on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:07 pm

I believe it is supposed to be Prop_physics_multiplayer instead of prop_physics
Prop_physics_multiplayer seems to be the one with the Health to override motion value
shaun_amos
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Spartan on Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:44 am

I believe it is supposed to be Prop_physics_multiplayer instead of prop_physics
Prop_physics_multiplayer seems to be the one with the Health to override motion value

Its the same thing as a prop_physics except that it is too be used in multiplayer. I'm going to add more to this tutorial soon.
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Serever on Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:59 am

prop_physics_multiplayer also behaves differently. its friggin shit and gay.

you know the barrels on dust2, how when they get in the way theres no way to get past them cause they repel you? tahts what prop_physics_multiplayer is
"Hey Scott. It's Dougal. Can I have my hair from the 1980's back?"
Serever

Postby Spartan on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:14 am

prop_physics_multiplayer also behaves differently. its friggin shit and gay.

you know the barrels on dust2, how when they get in the way theres no way to get past them cause they repel you? tahts what prop_physics_multiplayer is

That's why we use them in multiplayer games only. Its not as much of a hit on the system as a regular prop_physics which has more realistics physics.
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Serever on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:31 pm

meh, if a few barrels is too much of a hit, get a new system :wink:
"Hey Scott. It's Dougal. Can I have my hair from the 1980's back?"
Serever

Postby SupremoPete on Wed May 25, 2005 11:04 pm

Typical, im having a problem with this. I added a few computers, a phone and a few mugs onto a desk and a couple of chairs too. When i load up in game, the chairs are there but nothing else appears. I then jump on the desk and knife the desk to see if stuff is there and then the stuff appears :S Any idea why this is? Sorry, im a noob to mapping
SupremoPete
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Blink on Wed May 25, 2005 11:13 pm

Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby SupremoPete on Thu May 26, 2005 12:20 am

Thanks for the help. I have a feeling i might need this forum a lot in the future
SupremoPete
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Advanced prop_physics

Postby chevasbr on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:35 am

work nice.. tnx alot
chevasbr

Postby chargers5583 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:45 am

This did help me very much with prop_physics. Isn't there a flag to set it that it doesn't move till you hit it or something?
chargers5583

Postby spare8ball on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:08 am

yes you flag Start Asleep... or something related to that statement.
spare8ball
Regular
Regular

Return to Tutorials