Double Door Frames

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Double Door Frames

Postby Tutorial on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:00 am

category
General Half-Life 2/Architecture

description
Very similar to the above but shows you how to create space for two doors to open at once.

keywords
double doors, door, doors, frame, door frame, double door frame, door way.

Double Doors

Okay this is really just a continuation of Blink’s brilliant tutorials on doorways and the prop_door_rotating entity. If you haven’t already, have a read here.

http://forum.interlopers.net/viewtopic.php?t=1966
http://interlopers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6549

It should help you a lot to understand what’s going on, and why I’m doing certain things.

Okay, first of all let’s set up a wall for you to put your double doors into. No point in a door, if there is no wall eh?

Make a brush 512 long x 128 high x 16 deep like so;

Okay, next we are going to make half of the door frame we need. Using the clip tool, clip the top 16 units. Like this.

Next select the bottom piece and clip it like so.

Good, now we have the basic outline of the doorway. Next up is the frames.

Now select the middle piece and scale it down to the right so that it covers half of the area it did before like this, then apply the dev/measuredoor texture to it. You should end up with something like this. Align the texture to the left edge.

Now, using the dev texture as a guide, clip around the edge to create the doorframe. It should be 4 units thick. Use vertex manipulation to neaten up the edges. Then give the whole of the frame a nice coat of nodraw. You should have this.

Now select the outside faces and apply a door texture such as the one I have used here wood/wooddoor019a. You may have to
Also texture the inside of the frame with a texture that matches it. I used some nice light wood here.

Lovely, now let’s make the other half of the doorframe. Select both frame brushes and holding shift, move them to the right into the space where the other half will go. Excellent, now with both brushes still selected, rotate them through 180°.

Okay, now select all four frame brushes and tie to entity (Ctrl-T) Tie the brushes to a func_detail.

Now for the doors, insert a prop_door_rotating 54 units from the bottom of the doorframe, and one unit away.

On it’s properties find the world model, and change it to models/props_c17/door01_left.mdl

Now select a skin you like from the 14 (I think) that are available, by changing the number in the skin property. I think mine looks pretty snazzy.

Next, just copy across the door to the other half of the doorframe, making sure to keep the origin one unit away from the edge else there will be a noticeable gap between the doors.

Now, to make sure that both doors open and close at the same time (if that is what you wish) give them both the same name.

Your finished product should be similar to this.

Once you’re done compile and test. Might want to try building a room and floor, but there are tutorials for that somewhere.

Flufd
- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Postby Flufd on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:47 am

Cheers, my first tutorial :O
Flufd
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Double Door Frames

Postby Grantax on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:25 pm

Your name is in the bottom of the tutorial, so no need to worry.

Tutorial wrote:Flufd
Grantax
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Flufd on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:10 pm

I was just thanking whoever put it up there
Flufd
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Grantax on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:36 pm

Ok, I guess that's blink.
Nice tutorial :smt023