Map Battle 26 - Underground

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 26 - Underground

Postby Habboi on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:02 am

I'll be happy to give them the vmf.

I'll have a piece of that. I like the whole structure of it and I'd gladly finish it sometime if you'd let me.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jister on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:42 am

Habboi wrote:As far as I'm aware it finished at 00:00 ;O Good luck to everyone and vote not for how nice it looks but for how much 'WORK' went into it ;P

exsqueeze me but it's all about the looks habboi, dont matter if its one brush and toke you 5 sec, or you're living on the edges of insanity with your brush count and got a long beard now!
It's just about the looks, how sweet can you make a screens look! thats what this is about, plain flat sweet eye candy! :D

haha just think: I can make the most crappy shit and take ages even if i used a truckload of slaves, take the pyramids for example... lol no no I'll stop already...

edit: damn couldn't leave this one out: it's like a super fat guy saying; "hey baby it's not about the looks! just think bout all the hard work I've put into looking like this!!" :smt005

k k k k no I'll shut up.

novorod wrote:

too bad about the soldier walking there, it kinda ruins the monumentality of the whole scene.the shot without human reference look way bigger then they are.
Last edited by jister on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Mephasto on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:09 am

that is good for novorods first work, reminds me of new wolfenstein (that underground base screenshot)

well.. i dont think it should be judged by work done, its about looks like jister said. But if you look previous work what deathmonkey, PaulH, Cremator and Generalvivi have made you notice that custom textures and models support greatly theyr scenes. So it makes effort worth it.

i myself prefer unique looks that feel fresh and diffrent from valves scenes and materials. In this case i would vote for jister IF something greatly better wont appear in last minute.
Mephasto
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby jister on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:45 am

Mephasto wrote:that is good for novorods first work, reminds me of new wolfenstein (that underground base screenshot)

well.. i dont think it should be judged by work done, its about looks like jister said. But if you look previous work what deathmonkey, PaulH, Cremator and Generalvivi have made you notice that custom textures and models support greatly theyr scenes. So it makes effort worth it.

i myself prefer unique looks that feel fresh and diffrent from valves scenes and materials. In this case i would vote for jister IF something greatly better wont appear in last minute.

:D thx! but hold your horses, voting hasn't started yet. :wink:
and yes custom content always helps.
although i prefer some one who can still give a fresh look with content you've seen over a thousand times, use in a hundred different ways. problem is, you don't see that so often.
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Habboi on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:49 am

Well that's good to hear, glad I used about 98% custom content :-D And I'm voting for the map with most hard work because it's just fair and I think they deserved it. I mean for example the egyptian entry while not amazing visually has a lot of work put into it. I think that's a good entry because he learn't so much.

Otherwise it'll be the big 3 that always win.

Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Shadow801 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:19 pm

lol i'm going to come last :D :D Aww Well, I did learn some things in the proccess.

I've been learning so much recently..

My last was this

Image ( Lol What quality )

Anyway, I thought this finished last night?
Shadow801
Regular
Regular

Postby Habboi on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:24 pm

That's pretty good mate. Love the shadows. I noticed your finger nails are white which means you didn't buildcubemaps. You should learn them if you already haven't! :D

Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby novorod on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:59 pm

jister wrote: exsqueeze me but it's all about the looks habboi, dont matter if its one brush and toke you 5 sec, or you're living on the edges of insanity with your brush count and got a long beard now!
It's just about the looks, how sweet can you make a screens look! thats what this is about, plain flat sweet eye candy! :D

I agree. It is all about the good idea for shot, lighting and shadows. It's similar to photography - you can make an outstanding photo out of nothing. The good idea is the key. In my opinion, in competition like map battle, it is better to think about shots first. Then start building map with this 'concept image' in mind.

jister wrote: too bad about the soldier walking there, it kinda ruins the monumentality of the whole scene.the shot without human reference look way bigger then they are.

I really wanted to make this shot with soldier in the middle, despite the consequences. I wanted to make the image look symmetrical.

Mephasto wrote:that is good for novorods first work, reminds me of new wolfenstein (that underground base screenshot)

Thanks Mephasto. I was thinking about making a german base from WWII period, but modelling U-Boot out of primitives would be... Confusing. :-)
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. A.C.C.

novorod

Postby Jest@ on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:08 pm

Wurgh, sorry lads, had some unexpected turns of events yesterday, so we're a little bit late finishing :) Great to see a flurry of final screenshot - and some great improvements! - at the last minute, I'll get the vote up tonight.

As always, thanks for taking part guys!
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Design Section