Map Battle 32 - Streetview

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 32 - Streetview

Postby The Doctor on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:57 am

Why does Google Maps limit the Street View locations, but Google Earth has millions of the little things all over the world. Even the dumpy little town that I live in, with 2000 people has Street View.

Since the town I was going to use doesn't actually have Street View using Google Maps, I'm going to have to use the next best thing. Atlanta.
"We're the Moe Syzlak experience featuring Homer."
The Doctor
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby RawMeat3000 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:20 pm

MrMattWebb wrote:hmm. I want to do this but im already working on my city map...

Can't you do both? Use street view to help map a section of your city, then post it here? Or would that be against the rules?
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby Jest@ on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Hmm. I knew you could to street view in Google earth too, but I figured it was all the same places. You sure it's proper street-view, not just user-submitted photos? I'll have to check it out, and maybe alter the top post to allow Google earth too. The only downside is it's more of a pain to link to (takes longer to load)

@ RawMeat3000/MrMattWebb - To recap the rules on submitting previous work etc; if the entry is specifically worked on for the theme, and suits the theme, then it can be entered. It can't just be something sort-of-similar that you have lying around (although we'd never know if you haven't shown it before, I trust people to be good about it:) )

Edit: @The Doctor: I can't find any places where you can use streetview on Google Earth and not on google maps. For example, welcome to Ravenden, Arkasas - pop. 511.

The Streetview 'welcome page' map, with the blue markers, doesn't precisely show everywhere you can do it: the trick is to go roughly where you want, stay zoomed out (like, regional-level) and drag the streetview icon over the map, and hover before letting go. You'll see blue outlines and shading after a second or two that shows where you can do streetview.
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Doctor on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Jest@ wrote:Edit: @The Doctor: I can't find any places where you can use streetview on Google Earth and not on google maps. For example, welcome to Ravenden, Arkasas - pop. 511.

The Streetview 'welcome page' map, with the blue markers, doesn't precisely show everywhere you can do it: the trick is to go roughly where you want, stay zoomed out (like, regional-level) and drag the streetview icon over the map, and hover before letting go. You'll see blue outlines and shading after a second or two that shows where you can do streetview.

Yes I just figured that out. I guess the blue icons threw me off a little. So now at least I can move around in Google Earth to making searching easier, and then load the link up in a browser.

I think I'll stay away from that town too, for roughly my entire life, and the next.

Back to work I guess. Happy mapping everyone. I'll just shut up now, and return when I have something to show. :smt006
"We're the Moe Syzlak experience featuring Homer."
The Doctor
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby jenkins_08 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:40 pm

Jest@ wrote:But I figured there has got to be some cool architecture somewhere in the US...

...right? :P

You forgot Australia mate :D

Google has been all over Aus even past my house and i live in the middle of nowhere :lol:

Is that technically allowed? If i use my own house lol :-D?

http://maps.google.com.au/help/maps/streetview/
or
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?layer=c& ... ain_button

jenkins_08
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Noodles on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:51 pm

Bah, no UK coverage. And no Netherlands, I was looking forward to doing either Leidseplein or Rembrandtsplein with the HUUUUGE tv screen! :D
'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havershambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary Rawlinson End.'
Noodles
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby source-maps on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:23 pm

Noodles wrote:Bah, no UK coverage. And no Netherlands, I was looking forward to doing either Leidseplein or Rembrandtsplein with the HUUUUGE tv screen! :D

Yeah I wanted to do my hometown in the Netherlands :cry:
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Noodles on Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:59 pm

Hehe! I was all set to model the No.4 tram too...ah such great memories :)
'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havershambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary Rawlinson End.'
Noodles
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby 904 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:44 pm

Funny, I was poking around to see Amsterdam as well. Not that I'd make anything, but just out of curiousity.
Design Section Moderator

Postby mky on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:27 pm

mky
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ad_hominem on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:05 pm

mky wrote:http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.458262,-80.007505&spn=0.008588,0.01693&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr&layer=c&cbll=40.457662,-80.007541&panoid=KD0g-IcPQW09qFcP2RU2kg&cbp=12,310.45443546675455,,1,10.375837805207798

anyone wanna help me make this? :D

looool. I'd love to do something like that if I knew the van was going past...
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby 904 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:10 pm

I thought the same :) But check out http://streetwithaview.com/index.html, they have actually invited the google streetview team to capture it all!
Design Section Moderator

Postby k-dawg on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Sampsonia Way / Arch St, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

!!!!!Attack of the giant frozen chicken
waisted menkey wrote:i do however appreciate your efforts at telling me how wrong i am and how right you are. that's awesome!
:smt019
k-dawg
Regular
Regular

Postby Ottawagunner on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:40 pm

Im going to take a shot at this
THE BUSIEST SQUARE EVER
Wish me luck :D
Ottawagunner
Regular
Regular

Postby theblahman on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:10 am

k-dawg wrote:Sampsonia Way / Arch St, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

!!!!!Attack of the giant frozen chicken

Dude... turn the camera round and look in the laneway. Reminds me of Scout in To Kill A Mockingbird.

Lol'd so hard when I saw the guy.
I design (v4.1 released 23/2) and Tweet.
theblahman
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section