Map Battle 7: Skyscraper

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Postby R_Yell on Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:28 pm

And these are my final screenshots:

Image Image Image

There are a few errors, but had no time for much more. The damn road overlays gave me some problems. Hope some day I'll make a real map from here.
R_Yell
Regular
Regular

Postby Dude But if ... on Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:33 pm

my screens will be an hour or 2 late if that can be accepted as i will not be home sorry abouty this but its as it is.
Dude But if ...
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Terminator on Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:39 pm

Well, the power died across campus this morning, putting an end to any hope of a last-minute compile. Some transformer exploded or something. As far as I know, my dorm, another dorm, the dining hall and the PE center were powerless. The outage lasted for several hours...

Oh well. Looks like my above image is all I will be able to muster for this map battle.
Perhaps next time...

Speaking of which, nobody said anything about my idea for basing it at sea... :?
Feed your ambition, and find your inner strength.
FedCom: dare to push yourself beyond all limits!

Visit our website, and find the future you've been looking for!
Terminator
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Kolezan on Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:05 pm

I'm compiling my map as i write this. Hopefully it will not take more than one hour, 'cause i have to go to bed aswell... ¬_¬
Kolezan
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Blink on Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:21 pm

38 Minutes to go
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby cur_sed on Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:36 pm

Alright, I'm finally as done as I'm ever gonna be.

When this comp was announced, I'd recently returned from the US and, most importantly, New York. I absolutely loved the place, so straight away I knew where my map would be set. But what would be my map's focus?
Why, the most beautiful and iconic (albiet not the tallest) building in NY. The Chrysler building.
So, with the help of Google earth's 3D builidngs feature, I have recreated the chrysler building and its surroundings, a total of over 40 genuine NY city blocks. Of course, I've used a little artistic licence in the order and positioning of certain blocks (Plus, there's not a huge park within 2 blocks of Chrysler, in case you were wondering), but many NY landmarks are there. For any NY enthusiasts, we've got the Metlife building, the NY public library, Trump World Towers, the UN headquarters and more.
Anyway, I've got a few WIPs for y'all first.
Is an early shot, from when I had had re-arranged some of the buildings on Lexington ave, moving the Chrysler a block east.
Initially, when builiding my 3D skybox (the level itself is only 3*3 blocks), I freestyled a bit and made up my own buildings... as you can see, that was a pretty resounding failure. Image
After going back to Google Earth to measure up the -real- buildings in the area, I built the 3D skybox up, added water then textured the whole thing,
TBH, I sometimes suspect my Skybox is better looking than the focus of my level (it certainly took longer). Here's a bit of a glamour shot of the skybox, complete with pretty water reflections.
Anyway, by the time I was finished, compiles were taking 6 odd-hours (which made for a lot of pain when I, say, accidentally tied a skybox wall to a func_detail and ended up with a leak.), but it all came together in the end. Here are a couple of shots that I'm not submitting as an entry, but that I wanted to pimp anyway.

looking NE from 41st and Lexington, we see the Trump world tower in the background.

looking NW from 42nd and 3rd ave, we see the distinctive Metlife building towards the centre of the picture, plus the New York Public Library in the far left.

The next 3 are my official competition entry pics.

Looking mearly straight down on Chrysler from about 400m in the air

Looking up at the famous building from 44th and Lexington.

Just the top of the tower peeking out from amongst the surrounding buildings, this shot was taken from virtual 2nd ave between 43rd and 42nd.

Anyway, there's my entry, hope y'all like it.
cur_sed
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Jest@ on Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:49 pm

*sigh*

fuck's sakes.

a combination of too much custom content, hammer failures (at the LAST FREAKIN' SECOND!) and a last-minute change of heart about the surrondings means i'm out. i put in a LOT of work, but now....denied by the PC gods.

Anywa, cur_sed, i love yours - i was gonna do the Chrysler, but i thought the suroundings would be too hard - something you've risen to the callenge of admirably. It looks gorgeous, good work (bastard!)

EDIT: I reeeeeeeeeally must stess how fucked off I am about this. grrr... I came so close, but so far....I'll post some pics late in Art & design to show you what I had.
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ScarT on Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:59 pm

Yeah I failed too, I stopped working on my map in the middle of the week, due to too little spare time :? - But it really got me back into mapping and the whole fuzz about it :)!

I like cur_sed's, even though the textures don't align, but it's obvious why :) (not an offense or anything!).
ScarT

Postby Blink on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:10 am

Ok, the competition is over now. It's quite dissappointing that we only had two final entries. So many said they would enter yet complications mean we ar left to vote between two maps.

Cheers to the people who entered and tried to get something done. My next battle should be a bit easier for you and will test your displacement skills, so get them fine tuned. It will be announced Monday night.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Previous

Return to Design Section