Alan Wake!!!

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: Alan Wake!!!

Postby Dionysos on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:25 pm

It went from "you need a quad-core!" to xbox exclusive...

It looks pretty generic actually, and from all the scaling and "optimizing for one platform" I deduce that it will be... shallow.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby Chopium on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:29 pm

I suspect that a (truthfully) better PC "port" will come a while after the "xbox exclusive" is released.
Chopium

Postby Lobstar on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:37 pm

looks very Average for a game that has been that long in production. after Gow 3 i dont think i can play games like this.
New blog up and running :D
Visceral3D
Lobstar
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Morten1337 on Fri May 21, 2010 10:22 pm

I liked it. The story was alright, better than other "casual" action games. The gameplay was a little repetitive, but still a good game.
btw; easy achievements, unlocked over 50% of them by just playing through the story. \m/
Morten1337
Regular
Regular

Postby dewkl on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 pm

I think the game was pretty neat. Good voice acting and characters, with the exception of lip-syncing which never looks right. They all look like unenthusiastic dentist patients with their mouth idling halfways-open.

I don't think the game was scary enough. The mood and atmosphere is fantastic, but the pacing, while great, never gives you the time to get scared. There's never a sense of helplessness since the game always equips you with more than enough ammunition and weapons (though, takes them away after every episode). The AI is designed to increase the tension by constantly surrounding you. The game usually tells you when and where the enemy is appearing which makes you very in-control from the get-go. The game doesn't trust the player enough, always guiding you with a waypoint and objective. If you still manage to get lost, the narrator will explain it to you.

One of my main concerns was the excessive interface. There's a radar, health, objective and weapons cluttering your screen in addition to the vignette that sometimes makes it feel like you're looking through a pipe when in dark areas. The game looks great. The environment and architecture is also very authentic and coherent. While the game is paced well, there's not enough variation. The variation is only in the environment and narrative. After the two first episodes you've used every weapon in the game and fought about every enemy. The "puzzles" are barely puzzles, though they are never tedious. The core mechanics of the game are good, but I doubt it's fun enough to sustain another episode.

While the writing is good in my mind, there's a few weak points such as in the narration and sometimes unnecessary references (a reference to The Shining comes to mind). I just wish the ending was better. Hopefully the DLC will fix that. The enemies' dialog can be humorous at times, screaming with a demonic-twisted voice "Omega 3 fatty acids are good for your heart" before striking their chainsaw at you. There are some awesome references to Remedy's earlier games, most notably one taking place in a late-night talk show. There's also a new tv-series called "Night Springs", similar to Remedy's awesome fictional tv-series "Dick Justice".

The game is unlike other games I've played, it's a fresh experience compared to most other games. I also enjoyed the episodic structure. I still feel like there's a lot of missed potential here.
dewkl
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Previous

Return to Gaming Chat