Dragons Age Origins Cheats on Steam version???

Game discussion and other related chat.

Dragons Age Origins Cheats on Steam version???

Postby MayheM on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Ok So I had been playing this game for a while and hit a part where I just kept dying so I wanted to enable cheats. After all, I am more about the story then it is anything else. So I go online get the instructions and try them out. However apparently the edits to enable the console does not work in the steam version. Has anyone gotten this to work? Kind of lame that they have it set up differently for the steam version and the standalone version...

*edit* Stupid me, did a search and found it...

http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/pccheatsd/a/Dragon-Age-Origins-PC-Codes.htm
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dragons Age Origins Cheats on Steam version???

Postby Phott on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:28 pm

AGAGHAHAGHAG

I think cheating ruins experience... When you finally manage to get past a tough point you feel really good about yourself. Like when I killed that big ass dragon with awesome lewt after dying 10 times.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MayheM on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:18 pm

Honestly I have no issues with cheating at long as you are playing single player. I did manage to get past this one part now, though seriously I was trying for hours if not days to get by this one place and my party was seemingly useless. I turned the cheats off to fight the boss, I just hate the endless attacks that give you no time to heal. But to clarify, dying 10 times is no big deal, we are talking 30+. and to me that ruins a game. As I get further i and gain levels it gets easier for me but I am a level 6 fighting a shit ton of werewolves. Not fun when you get pounced and die before you even have a chance to kill one of the 4 werewolves attacking...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:46 pm

MayheM wrote:Honestly I have no issues with cheating at long as you are playing single player. I did manage to get past this one part now, though seriously I was trying for hours if not days to get by this one place and my party was seemingly useless. I turned the cheats off to fight the boss, I just hate the endless attacks that give you no time to heal. But to clarify, dying 10 times is no big deal, we are talking 30+. and to me that ruins a game. As I get further i and gain levels it gets easier for me but I am a level 6 fighting a shit ton of werewolves. Not fun when you get pounced and die before you even have a chance to kill one of the 4 werewolves attacking...

Well there's an easy solution to this (Depending on where you are).

Go to another area and return when you are stronger.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MayheM on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:36 pm

But that would be what everyone else would do, I don't think like that. I like beating my head against a wall...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:39 pm

MayheM wrote:But that would be what everyone else would do, I don't think like that. I like beating my head against a wall...

Haha okay, got nothing against people cheating really. I just avoid doing that.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cypher543 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:35 am

The only reason I buy PC games is for the cheats. :P Console developers don't seem to care about adding them anymore, which is stupid, because a lot of cheats are just debug commands that they use during development. Seems like more work to disable them than just leave them in for people that want to enjoy the story without restarting a level over and over again. That's the problem I had with Assassin's Creed 2. I was so ready to keep on climbing walls and experiencing the story, but I kept dying in one spot until I finally gave up on the game altogether.

Anyway, I couldn't get any of the Dragon Age cheats to work in the retail version. After entering them, the controls would lock up and I couldn't do anything at all. So I downloaded an addon with a one-hit God hammer. Problem solved. :)
cypher543
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby MayheM on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:51 am

haha the controls lock up until you hit the tilde again and then hit enter. it is not very straight forward bit it works..
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dewkl on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:14 am

I did the same after getting my old character save corrupt. I was surprised to see that you still get the achievements, many of which can be achieved by a cheat command alone. Nobody cares about achievements anyway.
dewkl
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby RefaelBA on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:24 am

That's true. Achievements are a nice touch, but personally I don't go over my head to get them.
I know some people treat achievements (or trophies on PS3) like fanats, and I don't get that. I guess they're 100% hardcore, and that's a little disturbing isn't it?

About cheating, well I used to do it a lot when I was younger, but not anymore. Today I just try my best to beat the game and if it's too hard, I try lowering the difficulty. If that doesn't work I might run a search for a walkthrough or some tips for the hard part I'm trying to get through.
In Dragon Age specifically, I remember more than a few extremely difficult parts. Sometimes you must recognize that you're not prepared well enough for the battle or that you're not strong enough yet, it's a part of the game.

Dragon Age will openly try to get you to think that some battles are simply too much for you, like in:
Highlight to read:
slaying dragons, especially Flemmeth, or when you try to run away with the princess from the castle and you need to fight the security forces on your way out, that battle is brutal. However I only heard it after playing the game, because personally I chose to submit myself to security at that point instead of just having yet another fight, knowing that it'll only get more interesting that way, and it did!
RefaelBA

Postby Terr on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Single player cheating is--used intelligently--good because it improves replay value.

Anyway, if you have a technical streak (which may be a bit more common on interlopers) there's a tool called Cheat Engine, which is basically a combination memory-editor and debugger. It does have a slightly unsavory reputation because it can be used for multiplayer cheats, but I won't detail that here and anyone trying deserves what they get.

Make sure Dragon Age doesn't use VAC in any way. It probably doesn't, especially since it's single-player.

Anyway, you can do things like give yourself infinite health with it by searching for the memory location that contains your health value and preventing decreases to it. That's probably enough to get you past an inordinately tough battle.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Return to Gaming Chat