Google Chrome - New Web Browser

PC related discussion and other issues.

Re: Google Chrome - New Web Browser

Postby Darkshoal on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:31 pm

I'm quite fond of it so far, it loads pages alot faster compared to FF3, the omnibar functionality is alot nicer than the Firefox equivalent though. My only complaints would be the really irritating lack of plugins or any customisation ability (I hope that the blue scheme isn't hard coded) and the lack of middle mouse scrolling.

I hope that they can get some sort of plugin/extension API set up ASAP. Other than that its really quite nice for a beta.
Darkshoal
Regular
Regular

Postby dragonfliet on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:49 am

LOVE how fast it is. Very nice. I don't really care for the way it looks aesthetically, and I truly hate that I don't have middle mouse scroll. The clincher, however, is that I no longer have my gestures add-on. I'm going back to FF, though this is a pretty good browser.

~Jason
dragonfliet
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dissonance on Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:44 am

Windows only.
FFS, Google.
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby otihome2469 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:46 am

its better than internet explorer from what i've seen but fire fox cant be beat in its simplicity and functions.
otihome2469
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:48 am

otihome2469 wrote:its better than internet explorer from what i've seen but fire fox cant be beat in its simplicity and functions.
you can say whatever you want, but google chrome has a lot more simplicity than even the most naked firefoxes.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:04 am

zombie@computer wrote:
otihome2469 wrote:its better than internet explorer from what i've seen but fire fox cant be beat in its simplicity and functions.
you can say whatever you want, but google chrome has a lot more simplicity than even the most naked firefoxes.

That made me smile. Yet this browser is pretty sweet, I'm going to spend some more time with it though before I start making it my "Default Browser".
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Undead Caesar on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:15 am

The speed of it crushes Firefox, but WHY GOOGLE, WHY DID YOU TAKE AWAY MY SCROLL BUTTON. I'm lost without it. I spend at least 2 seconds on each page trying to scroll down with the middle mouse, and then I remember that I can't anymore.

May change to default browser, may not. I dunno.
Undead Caesar
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby MaK on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:52 pm

I like it, very simple! The lack of a middle scroll thing does bother me, and when you highlight links I don't like that fadey blue bar. I don't know if it's me, but text does not appear to be anti-aliased.

EDIT: I just noticed that the new clickable zoomy pics on Interlopers don't work on Chrome well at all.
MaK

Postby Natus on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:10 pm

It's a great browser alright, loving all the features of it so far, and the speed, oh lawd it's wonderful.
However, the EULA is a load of shit.
http://gizmodo.com/5044871/google-chrom ... -to-emails
Natus

Postby ScarT on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:38 pm

Two words guys! Open source. There's bound to come loads of awesome stuff! As far as I've been told (haven't investigated) there should be plug-in support already.
ScarT

Postby ghost12332 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm

11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Google just OWNED you. HAVE FUN WHEN THEY STEAL YOUR NEXT PATENT.
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby Darkshoal on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:12 pm

Theres also a nice bit about not modifying or reverse engineering it. I know thats standard for most programs, but is a little extreme when you're going to be able to look over the source code at your leisure.

After looking at the EULA, de-installed until I can be bothered to find a way round it (probably involving source code somewhere)
Darkshoal
Regular
Regular

Postby Jest@ on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Undead Caesar wrote:The speed of it crushes Firefox, but WHY GOOGLE, WHY DID YOU TAKE AWAY MY SCROLL BUTTON. I'm lost without it. I spend at least 2 seconds on each page trying to scroll down with the middle mouse, and then I remember that I can't anymore.

I'm starting to wonder if the mouse-button thing is a Webkit issue, 'cos Safari for Win does the same thing. I assumed until now it was just Apple not catering for us, the unenlightened masses with our many clunky buttons.

Oh, and speaking of webkit issues... Chrome has safari Carpetbombing bug! (sorta, but not as bad)

Oh, btw, in the comic strip that tells you all about Chrome under the hood, when talking about sandboxing security, process boxing etc, they do talk about plugins - so presumably plugin support & api are on the way.
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ghost12332 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:52 pm

Lol. Thats awesome. Google really managed to fuck this one up. Hopefully they won't deny it like apple.
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby Puhnkss on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:53 pm

They've now changed the EULA apprently...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2329414,00.asp

http://blogs.computerworld.com/chrome_privacy

I might switch to one of the future versions tho... who knows. :smt005
Puhnkss
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware & Software