7 sucks

PC related discussion and other issues.

Re: 7 sucks

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:35 pm

TicTac wrote:
zombie@computer wrote:
joe_dirt976 wrote:maybe its because you have upgraded from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit one?

you cant upgrade that. you'll have to reinstall.

I didn't know 32bit systems still had the (x86) folders, seeing as those are only for distinguishing between 64bit programs and 32bit

meant this
see? you cant upgrade windows x64 to x86 or vice-versa. It always means a complete reinstall.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Syphon on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:17 pm

Wait, did that say the EU version does not have Windows Media Center?
Syphon
Regular
Regular

Postby Armageddon on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:01 pm

I fixed my problem. And yes EU doesn't come with Windows Media Player. I upgraded from WinXP 32-Bit to a Win7 64-Bit with a fresh install.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Ich 666 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:20 pm

My german Version of 7 has mediaplayer and iexplorer. Is this really missing in EU version?
Ich 666
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:25 pm

Ich 666 wrote:My german Version of 7 has mediaplayer and iexplorer. Is this really missing in EU version?

apparently. Got both as well. Guess it applies only to poor countries :shock:
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dionysos on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Prolly something about the new rules the EU handed down to M$ regarding monopoly etc.

I recently was tasked to "configure" a friends netbook running Windows 7 Starter out of the box. I was seriously wtf'ed when I found out that you *can't change the desktop background* in starter, at least not without tweaking........ and they wonder why people pirate.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby Armageddon on Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:43 pm

Well now I've got another problem. Windows 7 shuts down ANY program that doesn't respond for about 2 seconds. So when I compile my map and it goes to run vrad.exe it doesn't respond for just a little bit like always. And Windows 7 shuts it down! And my lighting in-game looks like crap! And my particles are fullbright!
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby snufflez on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:40 am

zombie@computer wrote:
Ich 666 wrote:My german Version of 7 has mediaplayer and iexplorer. Is this really missing in EU version?

apparently. Got both as well. Guess it applies only to poor countries :shock:

Yeah well, iexplorer and WMP both suck anyway, the second that I got windows 7 up and running the first thing I did was download firefox, VLC, and itunes (knock it if you will, itunes is pretty solid for everything I need it for!)
Dongs.
snufflez
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby nub on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:54 pm

True, I only listen to music via iTunes, and I download the Combined Community Codec Pack EVERY time I reformat, along with Media Player Classic. MPC > All. Internet Explorer and WMP are bloated now and are a hassle to use. I like the simple list layout for my music library that WMP abandoned in version 10 (or maybe it was 11).

And of course I get Firefox. Although Firefox has been pretty crappy recently. Randomly making pages not load as if they didn't exist. I tested the issue with iexplorer and I didn't get any problems. Scanned like shit for viruses, nothing. I think the recent update has pretty much fixed it though.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby snufflez on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:54 am

A lot of people I trust about that kind of stuff have been saying that google chrome is pretty sweet.
Dongs.
snufflez
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby cypher543 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:51 am

snufflez wrote:A lot of people I trust about that kind of stuff have been saying that google chrome is pretty sweet.

Yeah, until its supposed "sandbox" feature takes a shit. ;)
cypher543
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Psy on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:16 pm

Erm, I have WMC with my copy of 7 and, also, what the hell happened to the web browser ballot?
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby arieas on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:58 pm

I got win7 just a week ago, and its not bad at all. Only issue I have had is with its saying I Ran out of storage memory when copying from a external drive to internal, when I had way over 970GB free... and the dvd/cd read is extremely tacky and slow on burnt dvd's. Its fine with games and such, but dvd's I burnt ran perfect in xp but 7 just can't seem to handle it. It's probably the DVD's themselves.
I also had 60% of ram being used up for what I saw nothing. It always stayed at 20% maybe less or more, but it just got stuck. The cpu though seems to stick at 1%-5% for just general use. But windows cannot be used with my current modem, and it wont work with my printer drivers, which is older, but it does every to today's standard still, or at least at all I need for.

Don't source games not work well though with 64bit or is it duel/quad core processors?
Looking for Low-poly weapon modeller for a non-source mod, if you believe your awesome, message me!
arieas
Regular
Regular

Postby Terr on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:05 am

My current biggest pissed-off-ness with Windows-7 is this:

The play/pause/rewind/etc. media buttons. Every single time I pretty any of them it will launch WMP even if it's not running. Doesn't matter if another media player "caught" the keystroke and reacted to it. My solution was to disable WMP ("Turn Windows features on or off"), which is no big loss. But damnit, I couldn't find any sort of options short of that...

joe_dirt976 wrote:maybe its because you have upgraded from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit one?

Yeah. I have no problem (beyond the to-be-expected sub-par graphics card) running Hammer on my laptop, which is 32-bit Windows 7.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Psy on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:30 pm

arieas wrote:Don't source games not work well though with 64bit or is it duel/quad core processors?

They run fine for me.
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware & Software