Custom Windows 7 installation

PC related discussion and other issues.

Custom Windows 7 installation

Postby MELVIn on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:37 pm

So I just learned that you can install any version of Windows 7 from any consumer DVD of Windows 7. Which means that you can install Windows 7 Ultimate from a Windows 7 Home Basic DVD, by altering or deleting the ei.cfg file found on the disc. This works because the version is determined by the ei.cfg file, rather then the CD key itself.

The only info I couldn't find was: If I choose to install Windows 7 Ultimate from a Home Basic DVD, can I still use the Home Basic CD key to register windows? Or am I forced to buy Windows 7 Ultimate to get the key to be able to register?
Interlopers.net steam-chat.
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
MELVIn
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: Custom Windows 7 installation

Postby Major Banter on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:42 pm

I use a TOTALLY LEGITIMATE COPY. It's completey NOT PIRATED AT ALL.

It was bizarre Melv, I didn't know what the PC SHOP WHICH WASN'T MY H4XOR MATE had specifically done, but when the "enter CD key" doowhack came up, I could simply hit 'next' and install any version I liked. Must have BEEN A GLITCH.

Unless SOMEHOW something was deleted. I don't know if it was the .cfg you're on about, but I suppose it's possible. You can always test it, the installation is unwindable up to the point of actual rewriting of Windows.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MELVIn on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:21 pm

Well that's how it's supposed to work. You can always bypass the CD key durring installation, but to be able to get updates and whatnot you'll need it. That's how it works with TOTALLY LEGAL copies anyway... maybe your totally legit pc shop h4x0red your DVD to bypass that whole deal.

The reason for being able to install Ultimate from a Home DVD is if you've lost your Ultimate DVD. This means that you can borrow your friends home DVD to install your Ultimate again. But it still didn't specify if you can use the Home CD key or if you have to use your old Ultimate key.

EDIT: I finally found what I needed. It says "You'll have to use a product-key matching your current installed version of Windows 7."

This information is still mighty useful, in case you didn't make a backup of your DVD and your 6 year old cousin who you only see once a year decides that your Windows DVD would be best to use to try out your metal clippers. FML.
Interlopers.net steam-chat.
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
MELVIn
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby xoqolatl on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:15 pm

Why would you need an original CD anyway? The only thing of value is the license, here represented by an activation key. You can download an ISO image of whatever version of Windows you like, install whatever version you like, and enjoy full functionality (yes, including updates). Only after that trial period you have to enter a key matching the installed version.
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Hardware & Software