I-Doser

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Re: I-Doser

Postby RefaelBA on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:41 pm

klyemar wrote:
coder0xff wrote:
no00dylan wrote:You can't make one suffer without them knowing, because a part of suffering is being aware.

Does that mean an animal that isn't self aware can't suffer? ( just for the sake of argument :twisted: )

That's a good question. In my opinion I don't think an animal that isn't sufficiently aware can suffer, at least in terms of emotional stress. I remember watching a video a couple years ago where researchers were trying to figure out if animals experienced stress like humans did. They were checking blood cortisol levels in different animals to see if they remained stressed after a bad experience, like a lion attack. Humans can have heightened levels of the hormone even hours after a stressing event since we're capable of rehashing it again and again in our minds. Deer that had been chased by a lion had an extremely high level immediately after they ran away, but it would be down to normal after a few minutes, like they had forgotten that had even happened (munch, munch, munch, oh shit run!, munch, munch, munch). Apes on the other hand, would have very high levels of the stress hormone hours after something as small as a social altercation with the alpha male, over some females. Since they're cognitive animals, they were actually experiencing what could be social stress and anxiety, unlike the deer that were fine just minutes after having their lives threatened.

This is a great discussion. Personally I believe that physical suffering, meaning pain, is something that every living being with nerves could experience. As for EMOTIONAL stress, well that really depends on how you define that.
I think that most animals, when facing danger, try to avoid it and feel stressed or frightened during their run. Running away from danger is the most basic instinct every living being has, and I guess that a mechanism of fear or stress causes the animal to flee and concentrate on the danger, for a better chance to survive. More complex feelings like anger can also be seen in nature but not everywhere - it takes a more complicated mind to be angry (for instance, a you can piss off a dog, but not a cockroach, wouldn't you say?). I believe that a mother cat who's seeing her cubs fall into some tragedy feels a certain level of stress, but I don't know if it shall mourn their fate. I think that animals' ability to feel it pretty limited, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure many pet-owners will disagree. Most of them will be dog owners though, and maybe a few cat owners, but not fish-owners. See my point?
Social stress is another thing completely, I don't think that a lot of animals if any, can feel embarrassment, shame or compassion for instance. To feel these requires things like morals and a social code. Most animals' life is much more simple than this.

As for I-Doser, it has really verified a thought I had before: that everything we feel and experience is in our minds. And that is the most powerful thing in each person's existence. We experience everything through the mind, and the implications are really drastic: we most likely have no soul or anything that isn't material in our existence; there is no such thing as life after death, once your mind is gone that's the end of it; all religion is really a bunch of myths carved together from delusions and legends; and oh-so-many more sad truths. I had suspected those in the past, but seeing how powerfully our mind affects our perception, I'm pretty sure by now.

There are also positive results to this discovery: Any kind of investment in our minds is a good thing, like meditation, yoga, or even mantras that can change the frequency of your brainwave if practiced correctly; knowing that it's all in your head allows you to partially control the way you experience the world; realizing that the world around you is affected by the way you see it may help overcome some obstacles or understand that things aren't always as bad as they seem when you're down; and oh-so-many more great truths.

Cheers, I learned a great lesson from this experience.
RefaelBA

Postby klyemar on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:37 am

As for I-Doser, it has really verified a thought I had before: that everything we feel and experience is in our minds. And that is the most powerful thing in each person's existence.

I work at a vitamin supplement shop and pretty frequently people ask me if I think the things we sell work or if it's all just psychosomatic, and it only works because they expect it to. The brain has some amazing abilities, like Dylan said, it can even give you a separate personality with a peanut allergy; so I just say that I don't really know, but I wouldn't necessarrilly split hairs if it does work.

dm_villa third beta is now available for download!
klyemar
Regular
Regular

Postby coder0xff on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:08 pm

Alright, don't split hairs. But be reasonable and don't charge people for "doses" of a couple pure tones mixed together and pretend like they're something they're not.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ghost12332 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:05 pm

I read a great study about the Placebo effect in time.

For the first test, they gave patients a codeine like substance through an IV. The patient had the usual symptons, respiratory depression, lower heartrate, etc, and felt the effects.

After doing this several times they injected a placebo, that in reality did nothing. They simply told the patient it was the same opiate like substance, and WHAM! Resipatory depression, lower-heartrate, opiate like state of Mind.

----

The 2nd test was even more awesome. They gave the patient an immune booster dissolved in kool aid. After doing this several times, they simply gave him kool aid. His immunue system gave the same effects as when the supplement was in the kool aid.

-----

The placebo effect is an amazing thing, read up on it further. Very interesting read.
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby klyemar on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:08 pm

coder0xff wrote:Alright, don't split hairs. But be reasonable and don't charge people for "doses" of a couple pure tones mixed together and pretend like they're something they're not.

I just went off on a tangent, I wasn't even talking about the original subject. :shock:

klyemar
Regular
Regular

Postby coder0xff on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 pm

klyemar wrote:
coder0xff wrote:Alright, don't split hairs. But be reasonable and don't charge people for "doses" of a couple pure tones mixed together and pretend like they're something they're not.

I just went off on a tangent, I wasn't even talking about the original subject. :shock:

Ah. Sorry if I sounded angry or was offensive. That was not my intention.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby klyemar on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:17 pm

Nah it's all good man, there's nothing but love in here. :smt023

klyemar
Regular
Regular

Postby Nixt on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:40 am

... I just tried it out. My face is melting
Nixt
Regular
Regular

Postby RC-1290 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:43 pm

These things sound very much like my washing machine, so I think I've become immune over the years...
Where am I?
RC-1290
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Jangalomph on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:51 pm

Yeah, when i tried the alcohol one thing.. I felt very very very sick at first. I thought i was gonna puke ><
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Previous

Return to Serious Discussion