Today's generation is messed up.

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Re: Today's generation is messed up.

Postby MayheM on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Dionysos wrote:Seriously people, the reason "girls are attracted to bastards" is that the bastards are confident. It has nothing to do with them being assholes, even though not noticing of course isn't a sign of intelligence.

That's part of is, the other part is they think they can change them. There is a maternal instinct that kicks in and makes girls want to nurture a asshole into a nice guy. It is not until later when they realize they are better off finding a guy who is that way to begin with. I have heard from so many girls that they wished they payed more attention to me when we were in school. The comment on how great of a guy I was. I think for a good part of the girls in the world remember those guys who treat them well, and forget the douches that treat them like crap.

But really I think a big part of why kids are so messed up is because they spend so much time wanting to be older. They waste their youth. I did the same thing... I look back now and wish I had enjoyed the time more rather than wishing it away...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MayheM on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:39 pm

I just posted this in the random thread, but felt it should be in here...
http://www.break.com/index/scarface-school-play.html
This generation is messed up because there are people who think having kids do this is a good idea...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Smurftyours on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:57 pm

Are you seriously fucking kidding me. Kids acting out scar face at a elementary school. What the fuck is going on with my generation. I'll have to thank my parents when I am an adult, for not fucking up my childhood by not enforcing any rules. I'm still fucking amazed about that play.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby no00dylan on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:14 pm

:O

it would be less bothersome if she said

you eat popcorn and you're mean to people, that's great tony

not

you do coke and you kill people, that's wonderful tony

thats messed up... that and the guys screaming "YEAAHH!!" at the end... makes me sad...

this is pretty bad too:
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MayheM on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Dylan, there is no way in hell any responsible adult would ever allow their child to be a that play. No matter how they clean it up, the story is still about a drug dealer who kills people. The theme is so far above those kids heads it is ridiculous. I would say the same thing about kids doing Romeo and Juliet because it so had killing involved. Kids their age should not be introduced to violence like that. Let them be kids... But making light of killing is a bad thing. I am not one to blame video games and or movies for kids being violent, I think that argument is a bunch of BS, but kids this age are too young to be shown the ugly side of life or worse yet, glorifying it... I can not even begin to understand what they people responsible for this where thinking. I am actually a bit angry that someone allowed this to take place. I know that probably sounds crazy but it is really messed up...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby no00dylan on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:02 pm

MayheM wrote:Dylan, there is no way in hell any responsible adult would ever allow their child to be a that play. No matter how they clean it up, the story is still about a drug dealer who kills people. The theme is so far above those kids heads it is ridiculous. I would say the same thing about kids doing Romeo and Juliet because it so had killing involved. Kids their age should not be introduced to violence like that. Let them be kids... But making light of killing is a bad thing. I am not one to blame video games and or movies for kids being violent, I think that argument is a bunch of BS, but kids this age are too young to be shown the ugly side of life or worse yet, glorifying it... I can not even begin to understand what they people responsible for this where thinking. I am actually a bit angry that someone allowed this to take place. I know that probably sounds crazy but it is really messed up...

they could change it to where he sells baseball cards to people (since cards arent allowed at school) and instead of killing, being a bully, and instead of dying in the end he gets sent to the principals office. then it's a story about being nice to people.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zabiela on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:05 pm

no00dylan wrote:this is pretty bad too:

"YEARH AMERICAAA" "Only in Texas!"

Like what just happened was something to be proud of.

Also if you're fat and pick fights, please wear some fucking underwear, for the sake of onlookers.
Last edited by Zabiela on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zabiela
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Smurftyours on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:05 pm

Its still scar face no matter what color you paint it. And its still way fucking over a eight year old's head.
Last edited by Smurftyours on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Zabiela on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:18 pm

As far as that play, I'm all about educating kids about the realities of drugs and violence, but you can do so in ways that are much more productive than having the kids act out a ridiculously violent movie.

Sure you can use the movie Scarface to teach a productive lesson about drug use- drug barons die in a bloody fountain, and lead hopeless lives, but the kid acting as Tony probably wont get it, and will probably remember how cool it felt to act like a drug lord and cuss at everyone.

You can't lie to the kids- so you can't lie about the content and themes of that movie. You can however make responsible choices on what the kids will be a part of. Don't blind them, guide them.
Zabiela
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Phott on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:45 am

Yeah, poor kids learning about what they soon will be anyway through video games. To hell with the parents and teachers, right?
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Shr3d on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:28 pm

Truth be told, every older generation cries about the younger generations being fucked up. It's always been like that. We just have to have an awareness of that. Every generation will have issues, but I think it's a stretch to say that this very youngest generation is far worse than any other, it's too broad a statement.

edit: Having seen that play, I wouldn't say it represents an entire generation or even a significant part of it, it's just one play where the parents are probably celebrities off MTV Cribs (or total idiots, likely the latter).
Shr3d

Postby MayheM on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:13 pm

I will be honest Shr3d, I look at this upcoming generation and then look at my parents myself being in the middle and I can compare the three and see that we are on a decline. When you look at simple numbers you can see that there is something seriously wrong with many people today. For instance... This is a statistic that I read the other day and I feel epitomizes one big problem with the kids today. (today over 70% of African American children live in single parent homes) This is not meant to point fingers at one race, this is just a drastic change since at one point in the not so distant past that number was about 5%. I am talking in 30 or 40 years that number has gone way out of control. The numbers for the average family including all races is somewhere around 40%. In my opinion that is a contributing factor to the decline of this generation. Not the only thing involved but at least part of it...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dionysos on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Sounds very a-social.

Those percentages are due to the faults of the previous generation mind you.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby Shr3d on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:12 pm

MayheM wrote:I will be honest Shr3d, I look at this upcoming generation and then look at my parents myself being in the middle and I can compare the three and see that we are on a decline. When you look at simple numbers you can see that there is something seriously wrong with many people today. For instance... This is a statistic that I read the other day and I feel epitomizes one big problem with the kids today. (today over 70% of African American children live in single parent homes) This is not meant to point fingers at one race, this is just a drastic change since at one point in the not so distant past that number was about 5%. I am talking in 30 or 40 years that number has gone way out of control. The numbers for the average family including all races is somewhere around 40%. In my opinion that is a contributing factor to the decline of this generation. Not the only thing involved but at least part of it...

That's fine mate, I respect your opinion, you're basing it off the facts you know and your own experiences.

I just believe that there is always to sides to any given fact about happy families and properly raised children.
For example, in the 50's, there was a lot of sexism and racism within communities ( a lot more than now ), but one would say people had higher morals and decency, which is a bit strange in my point of view. I believe a lot of the bad stuff from the past tends to get swept under the carpet and it's always the younger generations that tend to be criticized.

The best thing we can do is (if/when) we have kids, raise them carefully and weed out the bullshit every generation passes onto the next. Nobody is a perfect parent, but bad parenting is where a lot of these problems tend to come from. It's sort of the snowball effect if you get my drift, the bad stuff from the previous generation tends to get passed down to the current and so on and so forth.

Anyway, I'm ranting now, so if you disagree with me you're more than welcome to say so. It's good to have these kind of talks.
Last edited by Shr3d on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shr3d

Postby MayheM on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:12 pm

Agreed, though it further perpetuates the trend. Growing up in a household with only one parent puts those children at a disadvantage from the get go. Not to say they can not overcome said disadvantages but it does effect a child's future. Like I said though, it is only part of the problem...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Discussion