Dev'ing for Source is tedious

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Re: Dev'ing for Source is tedious

Postby Terr on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Mr. Happy wrote:as a level gets more and more complicated you start getting things stacked on to each other and you have to spend alot of time positioning the camera just so to select what you want

What If: ...Holding a certain key as you click the mouse doesn't select anything, but instead provides quick list-menu (to the side of the cursor) of the first 5 brushes or point-entities under the cursor. Hovering over an item in the menu highlights the item-in-question, and clicking selects. Letting go of the key makes the menu go away.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Psy on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:37 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:
Psy wrote:You can use WASD to control the camera in the UDK just like in Hammer.

Can you tell me how to do this please? I may have stumbled over it or something but I can't seem to figure it out...

Hold right-click and use WASD to your hearts content.
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:01 pm

I am loosing my will to mod for the Source engine... I am starting to find less joy in mapping, just so damn slow and in the end, it still doesn't look that great.

The only reason I mod any game is for the fun of it. If it's no fun, then there is no point.

Halo2x was fun until I wanted to do more then the tools allowed me, after a while of failures, it became tedious, so I stopped. I know Source can do things I want, but it feels like you got to jump through flaming hoops just to do it.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby source-maps on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:36 pm

Gary wrote:I am loosing my will to mod for the Source engine... I am starting to find less joy in mapping, just so damn slow and in the end, it still doesn't look that great.

The only reason I mod any game is for the fun of it. If it's no fun, then there is no point.

Halo2x was fun until I wanted to do more then the tools allowed me, after a while of failures, it became tedious, so I stopped. I know Source can do things I want, but it feels like you got to jump through flaming hoops just to do it.

bye bye :smt039 , the less source modders, the more I can brag about how I know to use the mighty complicated hammer tool
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:11 am

It's not that I don't know how to use it, it just could be so very much better.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby jgoodroad on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:51 am

Gary wrote:It's not that I don't know how to use it, it just could be so very much better.

it's the difference between windows XP and windows 7, both are decent but If you want something that is "user friendly" with a "simple interface" and "easy-to-use features" with "improved capabilitys" then you use vista...

BWHAHAHA
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Postby Phott on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:37 am

jgoodroad wrote:
Gary wrote:It's not that I don't know how to use it, it just could be so very much better.

it's the difference between windows XP and windows 7, both are decent but If you want something that is "user friendly" with a "simple interface" and "easy-to-use features" with "improved capabilitys" then you use vista...

BWHAHAHA

Wait what? This can't even be compared to Windows OS, because they are all shit.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jgoodroad on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:42 am

Phott wrote:
jgoodroad wrote:

BWHAHAHA

Wait what? This can't even be compared to Windows OS, because they are all shit.

oh, sorry you misread but what I mean to say was...

BWHAHAH!

ahem... it was a joke... that is all
===[]"

jgoodroad

Postby Phott on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:44 am

I thought you laughed because you were suggesting Vista was the better of them for it's simplicity.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jgoodroad on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:47 am

Phott wrote:I thought you laughed because you were suggesting Vista was the better of them for it's simplicity.

I prefer my jokes to contain several levels of "lol"... so it was this or point out the grammar mistake...which is always fun.

BWHAHAH
===[]"

jgoodroad

Postby marks on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:36 pm

The only reason I don't refuse to use Source by now is for this one simple reason:

For the last 4 years, I've had my lead compile all of my models.

If this had not been the case, I imagine I would literally be refusing to work with it by now.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Smurftyours on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:51 am

He must have a lot of willpower.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Surfa on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:13 am

marks wrote:The only reason I don't refuse to use Source by now is for this one simple reason:

For the last 4 years, I've had my lead compile all of my models.

If this had not been the case, I imagine I would literally be refusing to work with it by now.

What a Cushy job you have.
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby YokaI on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:59 am

Smurftyours wrote:He must have a lot of willpower.

LOL qft, seriously model compiling for source is shit. I'm shock valve STILL hasn't changed that. Their own production speed could be increased 10 fold if the models were easier to import, and it would also allow a lot of easy tweaking at whim.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby marks on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm honestly convinced that Valve use a separate set of tools for in-house development. There's simply no way a large studio would use tools which are this absurdly awful.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Discussion