[CS:S] aim_vicious (small)

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

[CS:S] aim_vicious (small)

Postby acid on Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:25 pm

Why hello!

aim_vicious is a 2-8 player map (yet has 32 spawns for some reason), uses buyzones and it's for your imagination to decide whether it is set in an arab desert or on mars.

ImageImage

The intent of the map is to draw players to a server. Because it's so small, 1on1s don't get boring, keeping players on the server and hopefully getting some more to join.
Gameplay is obviously centered around the building. Both sides can reach the second floor either from their spawn by climbing over some barrels, which takes time and exposes you to enemy fire, or by entering the building and running up the stairs, which is dangerous because the other team is probably trying that too. It's possible to get onto the roof of the building, so that iceworld-standoff where two players circle around the map for about a minute without seeing each other shouldn't happen.

ImageImage

Development took about three weeks, which were actually mostly spent tweaking settings and adding an easter egg. The whole thing started out as a mere clone of Cod6's "Rust" and eventually evolved into a mp5 training map centered around an oil derrick. Since I can't animate and creating own textures is hard without Photoshop, I scrapped the idea and decided it should become a pumping station of some sort. After detailing and tweaking sky and fog, I edited the overviews and added a Vignette effect.

So, enjoy. I hope you like it.

Download via FPSBanana
Download via file-upload.net (EU)

Edit: Removed Link
Edit2: Apparently some sandstorms actually are orange. Example
Last edited by acid on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acid

Re: [CS:S] aim_vicious (small)

Postby Ibanez on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Ha, I was just gonna make a comment on how it looks like rust, then I read the rest of your post. Looks great!
Ibanez

Postby Jordash on Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:44 am

I'm loving the outdoor lighting
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby acid on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks very much!

I made one of these progress-morphing videos, so if anybody should be interested in that kind of thing have a look:

Last edited by acid on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acid

Postby Athlete{UK} on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:16 am

I think it's a great little map you've put together there. Very strong architecture and texturing skills. Also the morph video showing your working process is a great idea. I use them when I'm modelling and stick them up on my blog. Adds a dimension to a piece beyond beautiful screenshots.

That being said, personally I think you've gone a bit over board with the fogging. In the morph video the dusk lighting scheme looks great just before you add the fog and then it just rolls on in there and obscures all the good work.

It adds a nice bit of atmosphere especially with the contrast between inside and outside. But I'd suggest maybe toning it down a little.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 am

I pretty much agree with everything Athlete mentioned. The fog simply needs some thinning out and then it should look great. The colors are perfect.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby acid on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:32 pm

Thank you all very much for the positive feedback!
I'm currently adding soundscapes and color correction, and I'll release a modified version of the map soon.
The fog is now less thick and starts further away.
acid

aim_vicious - 2nd Release

Postby acid on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:46 am

Alright, the update is out!

Changelog:
o Added color correction for both the outside and inside areas
o Replaced computer textures and concrete texture on CT spawn
o Fixed soundscapes
o Modified indoor lighting
o Replaced default handrail texture with a more fitting one

Thanks again for the feedback. I really spent some time with this project.

[DL at FPSBanana]
acid

Postby acid on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:43 am

I've updated the most recent version to not completely overamplify color correction, added better sounding soundscapes, added an intro song, fixed some bugs, removed the colored glows on the servers inside, tweaked lightmap- and displacement scale, removed the old sloppy overview and replaced with an accurate one and added an easter egg song that plays when you shoot all neon lights.

ImageImage
ImageImage

It's available at http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/140696
Or at http://acidmaps.net

.. and I really tried to thin out the fog out or to color it differently. I couldn't get any good results :*
acid

Postby Superdeer on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:49 pm

I think you should have kept the oil tower in, for brush work it looked really nice and kept well with the dusk setting. And as others have already said the fog obscures the pretty brush work you have made. Maybe tone it down a bit at least? :)
zombie@computer wrote:
DarkDemonenator wrote:What is a surf map?
its a map of a certain area which shows you the best locations of good surfing waves, usually color coded for height and difficulty of the different area's
Superdeer
Regular
Regular

Return to Showcase