Little Freemans series

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Little Freemans series

Postby CTN on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:59 pm

I don't know if machinima qualifies for this section but I did get a lot of help from this community and here's the result:

CTN
Regular
Regular

Re: Little Freemans series

Postby CTN on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:55 pm

The bastards are back!

CTN
Regular
Regular

Postby Armageddon on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:37 am

Yet another epic medkit throw! :D

Pretty cool, still need better voice actors.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby CTN on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Jeffy and Starch are back with a new bloody adventure.

CTN
Regular
Regular

Postby CTN on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:12 pm

This is my first SFM machinima after spending about 2 years with the SDK. It takes advantage of the superior features SFM has to offer, like ANIMATION and lighting.

In this episode, Jeffy and Starch try to return home after their ordeals. It was a nice try, anyway...

Enjoy!

CTN
Regular
Regular

Postby LordDz on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Greatly done!
The only thing that picked on me, the lips didn't sync properly when he was yelling.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby CTN on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:18 pm

LordDz wrote:Greatly done!
The only thing that picked on me, the lips didn't sync properly when he was yelling.

One of SFM's downsides, no manual lip sync. Faceposer doesn't work anymore so, only auto lip sync...
CTN
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Yeah the lack of eye movement was a bit distracting and the writing was about average, but there was one or two funny lines. I think if you work on the delivery and timing you could have something decently entertaining. Try to have the more subtle insults said as a background or an aside, rather than trying to deliver them at the forefront of conversation. Watch some arrested development I think you'll like it and they have impeccable timing.

As for your SFM skills though, great. I think you should have a look at some rimlighting and perhaps edit some VMT's to have a lower exponent on the phong values or maybe add in half lambert to keep model definition in lower light situations. That scene at the start was really dark and the characters silhouettes were muddy. A simple backlight could have fixed that. (The walking dead has great silhouette definition and they do all sorts of fancy tricks to achieve it). Your animation is pretty good too, but I think you should look at how people move their shoulders and their heads when emphasizing parts of a sentence. Try to act out the sequence and really exaggerate your movements. Film it if you can. That should give you a good base to go off to see what you need to animate to get the message across. Good work man, you're only going to get better.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dr Evil on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:29 pm

I like it, nice job
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby CTN on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:Yeah the lack of eye movement was a bit distracting and the writing was about average, but there was one or two funny lines. I think if you work on the delivery and timing you could have something decently entertaining. Try to have the more subtle insults said as a background or an aside, rather than trying to deliver them at the forefront of conversation. Watch some arrested development I think you'll like it and they have impeccable timing.

As for your SFM skills though, great. I think you should have a look at some rimlighting and perhaps edit some VMT's to have a lower exponent on the phong values or maybe add in half lambert to keep model definition in lower light situations. That scene at the start was really dark and the characters silhouettes were muddy. A simple backlight could have fixed that. (The walking dead has great silhouette definition and they do all sorts of fancy tricks to achieve it). Your animation is pretty good too, but I think you should look at how people move their shoulders and their heads when emphasizing parts of a sentence. Try to act out the sequence and really exaggerate your movements. Film it if you can. That should give you a good base to go off to see what you need to animate to get the message across. Good work man, you're only going to get better.

Most of the things you mentioned we're accepted intentionally in order to save time. It took me one year to make this episode and the deadline already blown by 17 days. Facial animation and some of the character animations were kept to a minimum. That also includes timing which requires extra animation. I kept editing as tight as I could to avoid that. I estimate It would have taken me at least 3 extra months to release a fully realistic animated version.

The script was also written with animation in mind. This is my first character animation try and I wanted to keep the story simple. If you want a better story, I suggest you watch episode 2.

The rim lights are there. You should bump up your monitor brightness and/or contrast and check that other lights don't reflect in your screen. The picture looks good on both my monitors and the details are distinguishable.

Never worked with VMTs but it might be worth a look.

Dr Evil wrote:I like it, nice job

Thanks!
CTN
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Way to take constructive criticism bud...
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby CTN on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 am

Black_Stormy wrote:Way to take constructive criticism bud...

I was trying to explain why I did what I did. I didn't mean to offend you or anything.
CTN
Regular
Regular

Return to Showcase