[HL2EP2] Mining Complex

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

[HL2EP2] Mining Complex

Postby LexxoR on Fri May 31, 2013 2:13 am

Hi folks!

Here is one of my works for contest - Mining Complex, now updated to version 1.1

Some screenshots:

Download - http://hl2ep2.gamebanana.com/maps/169042
Sorry for my english, I'm from Russia :)
My portfolio - http://lexxor.tumblr.com/
LexxoR

Re: [HL2EP2] Mining Complex

Postby TechieUK on Fri May 31, 2013 10:32 am

That is some really, really nice mapping. I can't wait to try this out when I get the chance! :)
Also know as WILLAM; TechieUK is my old name. If you see WILLAM on Steam or ModDB, it's me.
TechieUK
Regular
Regular

Postby ErikKiller on Fri May 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Inspired by Doom?
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Stormy on Fri May 31, 2013 11:56 pm

Really pretty, but not much in the way of gameplay. I had a play last night :D
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby LexxoR on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:12 am

TechieUK wrote:That is some really, really nice mapping. I can't wait to try this out when I get the chance! :)

Waiting for your opinion!

ErikKiller wrote:Inspired by Doom?

It was a contest called "Red Planet" and it should be something related to Mars :)

Black_Stormy wrote:Really pretty, but not much in the way of gameplay. I had a play last night :D

Thank you so much for the video, it's so much pleasure to see how peoples play my levels :) Btw I'll be make clip brushes on all stairs next time :-D
LexxoR

Postby TechieUK on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Alright, I've just finished it. Let's get this review started, shall we? :smt039

First off: The visuals were beautiful. In every sense of the word. When I first stepped out, and saw Mars, I though to myself, "That looks really nice.".

I had a good time exploring, and knocking computers off of the desk. :D
I was tense, hearing the ambient sounds. I was on the edge, and when I turned the corner and saw the Zombine pull a grenade, I ran. I used up the Magnum pretty fast, and I will say I didn't notice the vent in the armoury straight away. I went back and tried to shatter some glass with the magnum. Later on, when the horde of fast zombies came, I only had a crowbar. I accidentally wasted the grenade, and lost my magnum ammo on the Zombines. I did notice some Pistol, SMG and Shotgun crates. I couldn't find the actual guns though. Probably because I didn't explore enough.

The atmosphere was definitely very good, however I have to say, a bit more combat would have been nice. Don't get me wrong though, I really enjoyed the exploring. I noticed a few grammar errors in the text you may want to fix. For instance, "Earth, are you hear me?" should be "Earth, can you hear me?". It didn't effect my enjoyment though, because at the end of the day, does a small mistake destroy your enjoyment?

When I was riding the elevator down, I heard a noise. I was startled. I was on the edge. Then I saw the fast zombies climbing up the pipes. I literally jumped about a foot. :-D

And for you lazy people out there,
tl;dr: A very nice map. :smt041
Will you be making more?
Also know as WILLAM; TechieUK is my old name. If you see WILLAM on Steam or ModDB, it's me.
TechieUK
Regular
Regular

Postby cpl. punishment on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:49 pm

The map looks good, but perhaps could use a few more touches of detail to make it truly sparkle. I'd also suggest adding a little more detail to the exteriors, especially the area in the beginning across from building 9 (maybe add more to the 3D skybox to make the complex look as big as it's implied?). Also, a blend texture for the ground would help avoid any repeated textures you might have.

Have you thought about expanding the level after the contest is over? I could definitely see a nice set-piece action sequence in the mine area, perhaps in some sort of geothermal station?
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby LexxoR on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:16 pm

TechieUK

Thank you for the review! Now I'm working on "upgrade" of my multiplayer map called "DE_Keystone" for CS:GO, but after release I'll be busy with my real life, so I can't positively promise something :(

cpl. punishment

I think it's final version, I'm already spent a lot of time on this map. If you want, you can use my models and realize your ideas ;)
LexxoR

Postby nub on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:06 pm

The mapping is really stuck in the year 2004. It's nostalgic to say the least, but it's really not hitting today's standards in my opinion. However, I don't expect you to meet anyone's specific standards aside from your own. That, to me, is the best outlook to have when mapping. Unless you're being paid to work for someone, of course.

Anyway, there are some props that have relatively clean textures, which in turn clashes with the stock HL2 textures which are notoriously dirty and grungy. Three examples would be the 11th, 12th, and last screen shot. In the 11th screen, the office desk is very clean and new, whereas the hall it's in is old, grungy concrete. It's the same case with the lockers in the 12th screen. And the big satellite dish in the last screen looks like it was just built. It has virtually no weathering on it, yet the facility around it is comprised of grimy concrete.

Also, the stock HL2 ceramic tile textures should be replaced with custom textures, especially in the lab areas that use primarily custom textures. The tile just sticks out like a sore thumb otherwise.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby LexxoR on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:35 pm

It's hard to make levels with today standarts with content that was made in 2000-2007 and engine from 2004. I'm already hit memory limit with lightmaps, I'm almost hit the entdata limit (95.8%) - so I just CAN'T put more details in this map, because of compilers won't build the map.

"Grimy concrete" - it's just a concrete without any material on it (paint, etc). Try to search in Google, even the new concrete doesn't look absolutely white, unlike painted metal. Btw, satellite dish is made of painted metal, what's why it looks so clean.

Btw, please, play the map before giving a review, because of table on 11th screenshot is a part of barricade, and usually it stands in another place.
LexxoR

Postby Botolf on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:05 am

Entdata isn't a strict limit, you can basically disregard it provided the map works as expected.
Botolf
Regular
Regular

Postby LexxoR on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:53 am

Maybe it's works on multiplayer maps, but when I work on Depot mod, I had a game crash with message "ED_Alloc: no free edicts" always until I optimized entdata to same level (95-98%). Anyway, between some more details and map stability I will always choose second option.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Entity_limit
LexxoR

Postby Gambini on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Original Ep2 maps have an ent data of about %150. Keep that number as a reference.

Anyway just played it. It´s a slow paced map with uneven design, the first part reminded me Deus Ex Human Revolution (specially the cargo bay, similar to the The missing link final map). And is top notch quality in terms of design and color. Then it becomes very hl2-2004ish just to later pick up a bit more in the last section. Gameplay is quite basic and dull. Not a single soldier and 0 puzzles. Still a very good release.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Major Banter on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Can't say I'm really blown away by the visuals, but hey, it's an actual release. That's something very few people can put a claim to, y'know!

Seeing as it's garnered so much interest, when I get back to my rig I'll blast through it over the next few days. Might chuck up a recording or something.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cpl. punishment on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:48 pm

LexxoR wrote:cpl. punishment

I think it's final version, I'm already spent a lot of time on this map. If you want, you can use my models and realize your ideas ;)

I respect your decision. I was only making the suggestion in case you were thinking of expanding on it.
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Showcase