Man-at-arms custom character model

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Man-at-arms custom character model

Postby jRocket on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:36 am

Hi all. I don't post much, but I have lurked on these forums for years and have been modding since HL1. I thought I would share with you a model I've made for a mod called Pirates Vikings and Knights II. I just got the flex sliders working and he's looking pretty badass. Once I have the animations done I can commit him for testing and our next release. 8)

jRocket
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Man-at-arms custom character model

Postby vcool on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:23 am

Yo! I fucking love PVKII, probably my favourite MP source mod. This is apparently a showcase forum, but I figure I'll tell you what I think anyway just in case.

From a first glance it seems to me the model is a little disproportionate. Could you maybe do a proper front view?

Otherwise I like it, the texture is believable and the face is well done. My only gripe with it would be that it's not memorable enough I think. Is he going to have more equipment?

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jRocket on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:43 am

Yup. We're going to add interchangeable hats and/or other accessories. There may or may not be a default hat, which for this guy would look kind of like the hat that the French guards wear in Monty Python and The Holy Grail. I agree he looks a little bare right now. Most of the PVK models do :( He will also have his other weapons that are not in use attached to him.

jRocket
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby jRocket on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:50 am

Detailed close-up of the mouth cavity- probably one of the biggest pains to make. My older models I had made for PVKII circa 2005-2010 just used slightly curved planes with an alpha channel for teeth, which looked pretty bad.
jRocket
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Dr. Delta on Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:15 pm

Wow, nice work man ! PVKII is probably one of my favorite MP mods, I didn't know you guys were still actively developing it!
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Loving that organic work. What's your pipeline? Do you use xNormal to bake? I would like to see a pic of the highpoly and lowpoly with wires/bakes.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Jim_Partridge on Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:18 pm

Awww I was hoping it was the he-man character!!!
Jim_Partridge

Postby jRocket on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:Loving that organic work. What's your pipeline? Do you use xNormal to bake? I would like to see a pic of the highpoly and lowpoly with wires/bakes.

I used zbrush to make the high poly and then baked it all out in 3ds max. That was a while ago though, and these days I usually use xnormal and handplane to get the correct tangent basis for source.
jRocket
Dumpling
Dumpling

Return to Showcase