RP_Sectra_Facility [WIP]

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

RP_Sectra_Facility [WIP]

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:51 pm

Update 2.0

I am making this map for the HL2DM-RP community, it will be Gmod playable as well but its aimed more towards DM. I started the project a year ago, and have been slowly updating it as time goes by, but finally im starting to speed it up a little.

Most of the facility is underground, its divided into seperate sectors, so far I am about 80% done with Sector-C Test Labs, which consists of Alpha, and Delta Labs. Thier will be at least two other sectors, just depends on whenever I start hitting limits, im sure i wont be able to get everything I want into the map. Thier is alot to still be done, but anyway I hope you guys like it, plz tell me what I can do to improve it, and what you would like to see.

Descriptions In Order Of Pictures, Plz Give Notice If Resolution Is Bad!
Med Lab Transit Hub, Coffee Shop, Test Lab #1, Security Checkpoint Delta, Med Platform,
Delta Labs Platform, Delta Labs Main Hallway.

New Content In 2011, Pictures Cycled On Updates

Last edited by SilentlyWeeps on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:03 am, edited 11 times in total.
SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Re: RP_Sectra_Facility [WIP]

Postby Kvackabill on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:59 pm

I like the style of this map! Back to black mesa? Very nice...
Kvackabill
Regular
Regular

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:00 pm

Kvackabill wrote:I like the style of this map! Back to black mesa? Very nice...

yeah, I <3 blackmesa :smt023
SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby Flobulon on Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:32 am

Love it! I wish I had the motivation to put this much effort into a map, it's clearly been a labour of love for you.
Keep it up, and sorry for the lack of more constructive comments.
Major Banter wrote:THE GLOBE FUCKING THEATRE NEED MORE FUCKING WORK
Flobulon

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:33 am

Flobulon wrote:Love it! I wish I had the motivation to put this much effort into a map, it's clearly been a labour of love for you.
Keep it up, and sorry for the lack of more constructive comments.

Thanks, i'm glad you like it :)
SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Mon May 24, 2010 5:13 pm

Update 2.0

I have fixed all but one compile error on the map so far, and have made sure
fps has not gone below 150, unfortunately I am using a GTX 295, so I really can't
be sure how it will perform on some computers.

The bad news is that my processor seems to be giving out, I was barely able to do this
compile to show some updated images, so enjoy them. They show updates to one of the transit
chambers, the first picture shows a hydro plant, and its water spillway I will be putting a waterfall
there soon. The compile problems have nothing to with compile time btw, just random lockups at
any given time during the compile. Doesnt happen with smaller maps as much but still is present.

I think the third level with lights, and the tunnel entrances is a bit repetitive, I might change
it around a bit, the levels below it look great when they are on there own but that 3rd addition
is kinda lame me thinks, plz give suggestions, I already am going to add a light between the two
supports holding the access bridges up. Plus I know I have some lighting to perfect ¬_¬

SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby Swiftmind on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:46 am

Wow this really is a Black Mesa feel. At first I thought this was for the original HL then realized it was HL2. I do not play HL2 DM. Im a TF2 player now so Im used to a very different type of map haha. But I must say this looks of great quality. I know all the time one needs to put in to build large areas like this. Very realistic looking.

But to me it gets a little boring after a while. The constant grey on grey with grey/white lighting. But it is concrete...and concrete is usually grey hehe. I suggest looking into different concrete textures to give the area some color. A red or blue strip maybe? The lighting is alright. I would suggest adding in a slight color to the lighting...but you said you didnt like the look of it.

As for the Hydro plant, I think the third level is a good addition if you change it looks. I suggest a different concrete texture, remove the white lights, place a vent exhaust or concrete pillars or windows to a dark room and put hanging lights between the tracks on the ceiling. One draw back though is the upper floor would be darker, and with the red light it will grab attention of the player....not sure if that is wanted.

Haha, I like how that citizen put the Gman's hair on fire. He needs to learn not to use so much hair gel.
Swiftmind

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:41 am

Thanks for the feedback, I definately agree about the constant grey atmosphere because of the concrete,
I will try to find some more textures. I would be posting alot more pics, but after making the decision to use
windows 7 things took a turn for the worst. Hopefully soon I will be back on track.

You are the first to come up with that conclusion about gmans fire incident lol.
SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:06 am

Messed around with some outside building designs, I want to make an entrance to the facility above ground,
and make it futuristic looking, or at least im trying. First pic is apartment design #1. and Secound is the sewer underneath it.

SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:21 pm

I have a big issue I need help with, my mapping time is getting ruined because of this.
For some reason after about 10 min or so into mapping, the entire stupid SDK will crash
when copying or cutting a brush, I want to say grid alignment is the blame but copying has
nothing to do with that. Does anybody here have a solution ?

This image is obviously heavy as hell WIP because of this crash issue, if this problem
wasnt happening I would have built the city of freakin rapture by now.

SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby Groxkiller585 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:42 am

One thing that could be occuring is your computer is overheating. Try turning it off for an hour or so, then try again.

If the problem persists, I don't know what you could do exept reinstall the SDK and backup your map files, though there must be something else you could try before that.
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Plague on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:32 am

FearEngine wrote:I have a big issue I need help with, my mapping time is getting ruined because of this.
For some reason after about 10 min or so into mapping, the entire stupid SDK will crash
when copying or cutting a brush, I want to say grid alignment is the blame but copying has
nothing to do with that. Does anybody here have a solution ?

Large tasks,
Cutting large brushes, Carving very large brushes and even copying can crash Hammer.

Unless its just normal cutting and copying, in which case I have no idea.
Also no idea what groxx is talking about up there...
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:57 am

Well it's definatly not overheating thats causing the issue, it's something
related to either hammer or Windows 7. I used to map in Vista which worked
out really good, 7 has caused nightmares but I have managed to get through
alot of them.

The objects I cut are pretty normal in size, not massive, same with the stuff I
copy when it does that. I try to avoid cutting multiple ojects at time as well, usually
it's a single object. I will most likely just reinstall the SDK and hope that fixes the issue,
if not then Windows is to blame and im screwed until I build a Vista Comp.

Thanks for the replys, I know this is one of those issues thats pretty much
a figure it out yourself, i'm just trying to figure out other solutions besides
reinstallation etc.
SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby Phott on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:35 am

I'm on Windows 7 and I have never encountered that problem, just last night I cut through a lot of brushes at the same time as well as copied big groups of brushes. I wouldn't say overheating but maybe your computer can't quite take it?
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Phott wrote:I'm on Windows 7 and I have never encountered that problem, just last night I cut through a lot of brushes at the same time as well as copied big groups of brushes. I wouldn't say overheating but maybe your computer can't quite take it?

I can play crysis for days and it wont overheat, like I said
thats not the problem, its a glitch with windows or the SDK.

This was a dell, its not anymore so dont let the XPS Logo fool
you, its completely changed on the inside.

SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Under Construction