DoD_Maz

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

DoD_Maz

Postby maz on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:49 am

For lack of better Map name I am going with my handle.
First real map. Be critical that is what I am here for.
The attempt is for a level with lots of obstructed views. So players have a feel where others are, but don't have great lines of fire. I am trying to limit snipers and mgs (I hope there are mg's just can't dominate from one position) I do like more opens maps so I am trying the open but trying to obstruct views idea.
It being said this is my first real map. I also want to say I have taken from Flash, and modified. What I mean is some buildings from Flash I have used and repurposed/changed. (Flash comes with SDK as a DoD example map). In my overview map I will note that.

5 capture points. Middle is 2 people.
Overview shows three paths, but they their are 2 main choke points on each side of the middle flag. Not sure if I need to make an alternate route or if there is enough cover to allow advancement

From the Axis point of view
We start as axis at their first flag.

Then again axis first but from second story window - I have tried to obstruct view

Axis second flag looking toward center.

Right near center looking toward allied second

View from center flag - windows breakable (allied on left, axis from the right)

Almost at allied second flag

Looking toward allied first

From Allies perspective
At allies first looking toward second

From allies first, but from second floor

From allies second, looking toward center area
[img][http://i.imgur.com/qFOhI.jpg[/img]

From center looking toward Axies second

From Axis second toward Axis first

Lastly from the second floor of the building across from the middle flag

There are side passaged through buildings or behind them. Also near center are bombed out displacements in terrain.
It is pretty symmetrical, but not exact.

I am also thinking about putting a second middle capture point in the 2 story house across from the current middle flag.

I hope to start doing real play testing. More than 2 or 4 people on the map. Just trying to find a server.
I am probably in for a rude awakening as people will not play the map as I envision it, but practice makes perfect.

my framerate doesn't go below 60, which is on par with maps I play currently. I have tried to follow the optimization guide that was really helpful.
maz

Re: DoD_Maz

Postby LordDz on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Might just be me, but those sandbags look like they're out of the place.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby goldendeed on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:08 pm

It looks pretty good so far, but as the other fellow suggested, You might want to add different obstructions than just sandbags. Another suggestion I have is to add some sort of road through, instead of just grass, you know? No one just places a city without roads, or you could at least place some dirt roads. I'll see what that looks like then we can move on.
goldendeed
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby wood250 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Looks like you have taken dod_flash and rearranged it.
wood250
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby maz on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:17 pm

LordDz wrote:Might just be me, but those sandbags look like they're out of the place.

Do you mean like above ground to much? or not in right area realistically for combat?

Roads - Yea, I had them in their before, but I didn't feel it looked right. I can see if I still have that save file and post an image or re think it.

Thanks for the suggestions

wood250 wrote:Looks like you have taken dod_flash and rearranged it.

Yes, they have been changed a bit, added simple second floors to some. Changed some window and door locations, lighting and other props in the rooms.. If the gameplay turns out to work as I see it. I will probably make some scenic changes but creating roofs and details outside of simple rooms is time consuming and would like to playtest the map for gameplay. But I should probably call it dod_flash_maz or something that incorporates my use of the flash buildings
maz

Postby BubbleQ on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:19 pm

You have no shadows ;)
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Woe Kitten on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Yeah there are a lot of problems with the look of this map but the main one is lighting. Sort that out and then let everyone take another look at it ;)
Woe Kitten
BioWare

Postby Knights on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:40 am

wood250 wrote:Looks like you have taken dod_flash and rearranged it.
Yeh he mentioned it :smt018 You should start this whole map over again without pulling buildings from that map... Just a suggestion.... :smt039
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby cpl. punishment on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:49 am

Woe Kitten wrote:Yeah there are a lot of problems with the look of this map but the main one is lighting. Sort that out and then let everyone take another look at it ;)

It looks like those are the default settings for the light environment, or at least a sun angle of 0. Maz: check out this link for the proper values for the skyboxes. The key is to have a more realistic variation of light and shadow, as opposed to the vertical lighting the map seems to have now.

Also, while it never hurts to use official maps as inspiration, you'll never learn nothing if you don't map for yourself. Don't just rearrange dod_flash, make it your own. It'll turn out better, and you'll get more out of it. If you're hard up for ideas, this website might help.

I agree that the map needs either a road or a dirt path. People traveling to and from their houses will inevitably leave some sort of trail or path.
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby maz on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks, for the link. I did find the lighting / sun link after Woe Kitten brought it up. I changed it from those values, but I believe I made it to close to noon time, so there looks like very little shadows.
I tried the road / path the first time, but didn't like it. I am revisiting it and like how it is coming out. I

I did start out with a blank map, created my own layout and building locations. I am getting better at creating more realistic houses and have a bigger idea for a second map (that second link is great and will really help me). I just want to take baby steps and not get overwhelmed to start. I would also like to test my map to get gameplay feedback. If it doesn't play well in the current layout, myself creating my own houses won't help it either.

There is a ton I have learned already, that I never knew about or thought about. Getting this feedback has been great, pointing out places I need to do more research and add more detail.
maz

Postby surgeon on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:07 pm

the main problem is that this doesn't look like a real place, or make much sense in general. how many towns are built in a field with overgrown grass and weeds instead of streets? you need roads and pavements.

also, you should use sandbags in a way that makes sense realistically and gameplay-wise. if you go back and play dod 3.1, every single piece of rubble was there for a reason, usually creating cover of blocking line of sight. put them where soldiers might actually build them instead of just anywhere, or replace some with vehicles, rubble etc to create variation.
dragon's teeth also wouldn't be positioned like that. they're meant to stop vehicles so you'd only need 2 staggered rows, and the way they're laid out now you could drive a jeep right through them.
surgeon

Postby maz on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:09 pm

I added a dirt road
lowered position of the sun to show more shadows
Removed some dragons teeth
Added a "little" more variety in cover (jeep, tipped waggon, crates, plants)
Added more detail / changes to some of the rooms (no pictures in any screenshots)

I tried to revisit each piece of cover to made sure it made sense

From Allies First

From Allies Second

Center

From Allied Fourth

From Axis First

From Axis Second

From Axis Fourth

Overview
maz

Return to Under Construction