Another Art Battle - An Interlopers Banner

Something a bit different, be it pen, pencil or paintbrush

Moderators: 904, Jest@

Re: Another Art Battle - An Interlopers Banner

Postby 904 on Sat May 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Extending a few days seems appropriate. Tuesday should be good.
Design Section Moderator

Postby Blink on Sat May 23, 2009 11:08 pm

magoc wrote:I'd say that, if that is the way for people to implement the text that this is nothing more than a 'who makes/takes the nicest screenshot and frames it nice' contest. I feel that a font can never be a placeholder (except when they are very close to each other like using Arial instead of Helvetica). Text sure, but the font is very much an element of your design. The alignment of Blinks text already sets the header up for an image that has it's 'weight' on the right side whereas Habboi's use of images will need a centered text.

I didn't say the text couldn't be positioned or sized slightly different (providing they stay relative to each other), but having banners with totally different fonts and sizes will just ridiculous.

I know 904 wasn't trying to step on any toes but I didn't endorse this contest and was never intending to use community created banners but seeing as you've all put time and effort in I've decided to try and and at least keep a uniform look to the images so they can be usable.

Take from that what you will
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby magoc on Sat May 23, 2009 11:29 pm

I understand that you would want to have a uniform 'look' for the headers if your plan really is to have them in rotation and that they would have to fit the light grey/white colors of the page. I just think that a design contest + rotation + uniform look don't go together.

- rotation + uniform = it won't be a real contest since the only objective is to make a nice screenshot with it's weight in a certain spot.
- contest + uniform = rotation would have to go since all entries will have a completely different look.
- rotation + contestt = no uniform look whatsoever. (and i agree that you shouldn't want this).

So my comment was to point out that wanting a uniform look with rotation will minimize the contest to the screenshot-taking.

I understand your point of view that you as an admin have and therefore i wanted to point out that in my opinion this contest + your view on the use of the results (rotation + uniform look) will not be a real contest. So it will either not be a real design contest or you'll have to choose just one header and stick with it. Whichever you choose is fine be me, I just thought it was odd.

I hope i've explained myself better this time...
magoc
Regular
Regular

Postby RefaelBA on Sun May 24, 2009 12:14 am

I beg to differ!
I don't know if blink will eventually use any of these, but given more specific demands people here can get actual results. I still don't feel screenshots are obligatory.

Here be my entries:
Each banner has a version with text and a version without text (link next to banner). I just thought to myself that if the title is pretty much the same, it shouldn't get in the way and if the banners are used, why not give blink a chance to work with them to his own liking. These are my suggestions to text placement but that's not really the issue, most work here was done on the background. Try noticing the fine details!

As always, please view in full size! Right Click --> View Image, or open the No Text versions in new tabs.

Image (no text)

Image (no text)

Image (no text)

Image (no text)

Image (no text)

Image (no text)

Image(no text)

Image (no text)
RefaelBA

Postby Habboi on Sun May 24, 2009 12:32 am

I defiantly love that second one with the concept art of the Borealis from DeviantArt. Did you draw it or was it someone else. I never looked at the name.

Good job.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Sun May 24, 2009 12:37 am

A few of them would be better if they didn't have the Alyx with giant boobs staring at you lol
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Sun May 24, 2009 12:39 am

I'm not so sure about the ones with the trite FakeFactory Alyx. You'd be better off with the real Alyx.
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby RefaelBA on Sun May 24, 2009 12:40 am

Zipfinator wrote:A few of them would be better if they didn't have the Alyx with giant boobs staring at you lol

I'm not so sure about the ones with the trite FakeFactory Alyx. You'd be better off with the real Alyx.

They're not any bigger than usual, just less fabric covering them IMO... And what's wrong with a sexy Alyx? The first banner could be a really great movie poster if you ask me. It's my favorite! :)
RefaelBA

Postby Zipfinator on Sun May 24, 2009 12:41 am

Those look a lot bigger than the Alyx in HL2 lol

And I guess there's nothing wrong with sexy Alyx, it just seems a bit unprofessional having that on half the banners.
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vcool on Sun May 24, 2009 12:42 am

I agree, the first and fourth would look much better without her.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RefaelBA on Sun May 24, 2009 12:47 am

Alright, sure, why not. I'll add a couple more tomorrow. Prim bastards. :)
Last edited by RefaelBA on Sun May 24, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RefaelBA

Postby Zipfinator on Sun May 24, 2009 12:49 am

Maybe if you come up with a scene with big boob Alyx in it it would look better, but it makes it worse when she's in the exact same position on both of them.
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RefaelBA on Sun May 24, 2009 12:55 am

Zipfinator wrote:Maybe if you come up with a scene with big boob Alyx in it it would look better, but it makes it worse when she's in the exact same position on both of them.

Well at first, seeing this as a contest, I didn't assume that two different banners would be chosen. But now seeing people talking about rotating banners, you're probably right.
And again - I'll fix it tomorrow. Good night all!
RefaelBA

Postby punky on Sun May 24, 2009 9:55 am

Also, RefaelBA, the rules are quite useful sometimes...;
- a maximum of 3 entries per person.

I like some of those though!
And if the deadline gets extended I might make 2 extra entries too :)
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BillyDa59 on Sun May 24, 2009 10:12 am

Disappointed.... I don't see anything that includes the Gman. C'mon now, how hard would that be? He's got plenty of good moment. Image
BillyDa59
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

PreviousNext

Return to Art Challenges