Custom scrolling/animated water overlay help

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Re: Custom scrolling/animated water overlay help

Postby blackmantis357 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:38 am

marnamai wrote:https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:SourceShaderEditor

it does require a little programming

fishshapedfish wrote:You code them in HLSL. I am not really sure how hard it is, I've never tried it.

Thanks for your help!
blackmantis357

Postby nub on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:33 am

I remember someone posting a shader they made for this exact effect, actually, but I can't remember who it was. It might have even been on Facepunch but I can't be sure.

All I know is that it looked really awesome and the cascading water effect would change direction depending on the angle of the face it was on (as if gravity were affecting it). The guy used one of the old E3 shadertest material slab models (with his custom shader) and he began rotating the model in the game and the water would flow accordingly. It looked pretty damn good.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby blackmantis357 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:51 am

nub wrote:I remember someone posting a shader they made for this exact effect, actually, but I can't remember who it was. It might have even been on Facepunch but I can't be sure.

All I know is that it looked really awesome and the cascading water effect would change direction depending on the angle of the face it was on (as if gravity were affecting it). The guy used one of the old E3 shadertest material slab models (with his custom shader) and he began rotating the model in the game and the water would flow accordingly. It looked pretty damn good.

That's a pretty cool idea, I wonder if it could be made to work on brushes?
blackmantis357

Postby kraid on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:47 pm

TBH, i never saw water streaming down the whole surface of a wall in reality.
In games which had this effect (e.g. Darksiders during the battle with Tiamat) it looked strange.

So i'd rather see a raindrop effect like in your video just on the top surface and maybe a few streams in certain areas that run down the wall.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby blackmantis357 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:36 pm

kraid wrote:TBH, i never saw water streaming down the whole surface of a wall in reality.
In games which had this effect (e.g. Darksiders during the battle with Tiamat) it looked strange.

So i'd rather see a raindrop effect like in your video just on the top surface and maybe a few streams in certain areas that run down the wall.

That's true, I've never seen water run down a wall like that, but what it could be used for is, as shown on the gutter slopes. if we had a road on a bit of a hill in some urban area, and water streaming down it for a rainy scene.

I must admit, I'm very very proud of how the raindrops-hitting-the-water effect turned out at 35 seconds.
blackmantis357

Previous

Return to Custom Asset Help