Garry's Mod 8 doesn't work :(

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Garry's Mod 8 doesn't work :(

Postby Fooby Zeeky on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:30 am

I downloaded Garry's Mod 8 V3b and made sure that HL2 and HL2DM were installed and run.

When I run Gmod, the Start Singleplayer Game button doesn't do anything (the console reports that the command 'showspmenu' is invalid), and no servers are to be found in the Find Servers dialog! Also, all the Gmod commands in the Keyboard Options dialog are unbound.

When I put '+map gm_construct' (sans quotes) in Gmod's launch options, it will start the map on launch, but none of the Gmod content is there. It's just HL2 with the map gm_construct being played. When I use keys to open the context menu or the other menus, the console says the various commands are invalid.

If anybody has experienced this problem and knows how to resolve it then I'd like the help... I didn't download Gmod 9 because it requires CSS which I don't have, and I don't want to buy Gmod 10.
Fooby Zeeky

Re: Garry's Mod 8 doesn't work :(

Postby Girphod on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:47 pm

Garry's Mod 8 isn't supported by the engine anymore. I'm not sure about Garry's Mod 9. Why not just buy Garry's Mod 10?
Girphod
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby MrProudfoot on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Just buy gmod 10.
MrProudfoot
Regular
Regular

Postby Fooby Zeeky on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:15 pm

I don't see why I should buy gmod 10. The old versions of the mod should work perfectly fine, and they're free, as I think mods should be.

I just tried gmod 9 and it has the same problem as 8. There MUST be a way to get them working.
Fooby Zeeky

Postby Saxon on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:17 pm

Fooby Zeeky wrote:I don't see why I should buy gmod 10. The old versions of the mod should work perfectly fine, and they're free, as I think mods should be.

I just tried gmod 9 and it has the same problem as 8. There MUST be a way to get them working.

I'm afraid all old Source mods are broken unless they continue to recieve support. The only support Gmod gets is through Gmod10, besides it's only £5 or something whats wrong with buying it?
Saxon
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Girphod on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:57 pm

I'm sorry but this argument is older than dirt. I felt the same way you did when Garry's Mod 10 came out... So did a lot of people, but we learned to get over it. To be honest, it's worth the $10. Can you not buy it because you're too young to get a credit card and your parents are paranoid about Steam? You might be able to find a friend nice enough to gift it to you... But don't go into the official gmod chat begging for a copy, that'll just make you look like an ass.
Girphod
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Ark11 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:02 pm

The reason v8 doesn't work is because Valve want you to buy v10.
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby Fooby Zeeky on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:45 am

Girphod wrote:I'm sorry but this argument is older than dirt. I felt the same way you did when Garry's Mod 10 came out... So did a lot of people, but we learned to get over it. To be honest, it's worth the $10. Can you not buy it because you're too young to get a credit card and your parents are paranoid about Steam? You might be able to find a friend nice enough to gift it to you... But don't go into the official gmod chat begging for a copy, that'll just make you look like an ass.

You are correct. One of my friends (who is almost constantly on a Steam game of some sort) did agree to gift it to me, but unfortunately his dad (who buys his games) needed permission from my parents, and that wasn't given.

I think I should give up and wait until I get a credit card of my own. In the meantime, I'll put a subtle, polite plea in my Steam profile.

Thanks for informing me that the earlier versions of gmod aren't supported.
Fooby Zeeky

Postby MNM on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:26 am

link to profile please...
When in doubt, VDC.
MNM
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Fooby Zeeky on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:36 pm

MNM wrote:link to profile please...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/foobyzeeky