Making a mod

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Making a mod

Postby iTrump on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:14 pm

Well ill keep this short and sweet :D

How do you make a mod exactly? I just want to make a simple one just to put my maps on and maybe code some guns and change a few things. It is not going to be released or anything just a personal mod of my own for Hl2:Ep2. :?:
iTrump
Regular
Regular

Re: Making a mod

Postby Corewarp on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:54 pm

Source SDK.
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby city14 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:55 pm

The easiest way to do this would to just make a mod from the Source SDK menu and then not compile the code.

In this scenario it will just use the default episode 2 code, and you can edit it the rest of the game data but not the code.
coder0xff wrote:I wonder if Gabe ever lies in bed at night, thinking about all the fat jokes, and just cries himself to sleep, wiping his tears away with one-thousand dollar bills.
city14
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby iTrump on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:07 pm

city14 wrote:The easiest way to do this would to just make a mod from the Source SDK menu and then not compile the code.

In this scenario it will just use the default episode 2 code, and you can edit it the rest of the game data but not the code.

Thank you but when I choose the "Create A Mod" option its says this.

"Can't open CreateModFiles\source2009\gameinfo_sp.txt for reading."

Remember this is from choosing modify hl2 singleplayer
iTrump
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:08 pm

I sure hope you have a good amount of computer knowledge. Many people jump into mod creation with high expectations and relativity low skill(not implying anything), these people end up just creating a Moddb page and start asking anyone they can to do all the work for them, these mods often die a few days/months later because they get nowhere.

You need to know what all goes into mods, most mods require custom content such as models, sounds, textures, animations, c++ programming, level geometry and general Source engine knowledge.

I am sorry if I am being a bit hard, I just hope you(and anyone else) to know what responsibilities and what knowledge is necessary for making a good mod. I am not saying anything about you personally, just that I hope you understand.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Gary on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:10 pm

Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby iTrump on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:11 pm

Gary wrote:I sure hope you have a good amount of computer knowledge. Many people jump into mod creation with high expectations and relativity low skill(not implying anything), these people end up just creating a Moddb page and start asking anyone they can to do all the work for them, these mods often die a few days/months later because they get nowhere.

You need to know what all goes into mods, most mods require custom content such as models, sounds, textures, animations, c++ programming, level geometry and general Source engine knowledge.

I am sorry if I am being a bit hard, I just hope you(and anyone else) to know what responsibilities and what knowledge is necessary for making a good mod. I am not saying anything about you personally, just that I hope you understand.

Yes I understand but im not making a full fledged mod here just a small Level Design mod. Which is not going to be released just used to my own liking.
iTrump
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:13 pm

Oh, okay then. Well, just read a lot of the VDC, it contains pretty much everything needed for getting in Source modding.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby iTrump on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:15 pm

Gary wrote:Oh, okay then. Well, just read a lot of the VDC, it contains pretty much everything needed for getting in Source modding.

Ok Thank you :)
iTrump
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:20 pm

That's how I learned how to code for Source and I use it on a daily bases. It contains tutorials, information on all the default entities and a lot of other stuff.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:47 am

http://www.moddb.com/mods/orange-box-ba ... lopers-kit

My complete guide just for modders :D
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:14 am

I completely forgot about that thing, it would be perfect for him.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:19 pm

Yeah ^^. Version 2 is out now btw.
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby kkirspel on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:51 pm

I love you jangalomph. :[]:
The inspiration as to why I'm here: Adam Foster; Minerva. Great job man.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:52 am

Why thank you sir ^^.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to Mod Talk