Custom Made Props for your Maps and Mods!

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Re: Custom Made Props for your Maps and Mods!

Postby Armageddon on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:18 am

You shouldn't even have to use 512x512.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Sathor on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:51 am

They are looking good, but I think a 512x512 should be enough. It is not necessary to use a 256x256, though. Might reduce (in Source) the textures resolution to less than 4 pixels per unit, if the crates about as big as I reckon.
Sathor

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:07 pm

@stormy: you are an optimization whore
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gambini on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:08 am

512 is what I would have used, considering the size.

Black_Stormy wrote:They're all 1024, the bigger ones could have done with 2048 but I still have an aversion to using 2048 textures on simple props, call me an optimization whore.

I establish my own rules, based on nothing, for that kind of stuff but they´re something like this:

Small props -bottles, mugs, small tools, food, phones- 128x128
small/Medium sized props -shovels, guitars, car batteries, fire extingishers, WCs, etc- 256x256
medium sized props (or objects that play an important rule on the game): -fuelpumps, benchs, barrels, tables, etc- 512x512
Cars: 1024x1024
Trucks, buses, train wagons: 1024x1024 X 2*

I made a bus using a single texture of 2048x2048 and i was ashamed of doing it too big :oops: I guess I´m also very worried about performance.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Gary on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:12 am

Gambini wrote:I guess I´m also very worried about performance.

I played Cinematic Mod. In which nearly every texture was 1024 or more often, 2048. The soda machine was 4096x4096.

Poly counts were also through the roof. But I still had no problem running it on my 5770.

Of course, I'm not saying every texture you should make has to be at least 1024. Cause CM also had to use a hacked exe due to the fact that it uses so very much RAM. I'm just saying, don't sacrifice quality for a few hundred KB or another MB.

Now it feels I'm going off topic... so here is something on topic:

Thanks Black_stormy, for such a useful service. I don't know if I will use it(I want to learn how to model), but I'm happy that people can get some much needed models for their mods/maps. The stock HL2 content disturbs me after seeing it for so long.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Stormy on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:44 am

Polygons are cheap as balls to render, as long as you don't deliberately go overboard it's hard to really make an impact. 20,000 polies is perfectly fine for a large model like a bus or even a large car. It's the maps chewing into RAM that make the major difference. I did a few tests to see, and while the results aren't exactly accurate, they are compelling.

That said, depending on the demographic you can do what you need to I think. Since I don't really know the demographic my models will end up facing I just tend to optimise as much as possible. For instance the diffuse textures on those crates are 1024x1024, but the nor/spec images are 512x512, because it's damn near impossible to tell the difference unless you're swapping between resolutions in realtime.

And if anyone is learning to model add me on steam, I'm always happy to talk modeling. Blender specifically but hell I helped a bloke with maya the other day and I've never used it before. I also showed Epifire some stuff on my livestream to help him out with his modelling and texturing.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gary on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 am

Black_Stormy wrote:Polygons are cheap as balls to render, as long as you don't deliberately go overboard it's hard to really make an impact. 20,000 polies is perfectly fine for a large model like a bus or even a large car. It's the maps chewing into RAM that make the major difference. I did a few tests to see, and while the results aren't exactly accurate, they are compelling.

The GPU was built to render polygons. It does a damn good job at it.

As for your tests, I doubt their accuracy, due to the huge amount of variables in the RAM use of an application. Though, I do know textures can use a lot, CM is a perfect example(uses tons of RAM, and it's main thing is super high-res textures).

Black_Stormy wrote:That said, depending on the demographic you can do what you need to I think. Since I don't really know the demographic my models will end up facing I just tend to optimise as much as possible. For instance the diffuse textures on those crates are 1024x1024, but the nor/spec images are 512x512, because it's damn near impossible to tell the difference unless you're swapping between resolutions in realtime.

I would look at the Steam Hardware Survey. Which says a majority(30%) have 5 GB and more of RAM. And most people(~53%) have a 64Bit version of win7. But sadly, we are stuck with an engine that isn't large-address-aware, so it can't use 4GB of RAM.

Black_Stormy wrote:And if anyone is learning to model add me on steam, I'm always happy to talk modeling. Blender specifically but hell I helped a bloke with maya the other day and I've never used it before. I also showed Epifire some stuff on my livestream to help him out with his modelling and texturing.

I actually want to use Blender. I got some video tutorials recently, I just need to watch them. After I do and get some basic idea of modeling in Blender, I'll talk to you about it.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Stormy on Thu May 03, 2012 4:51 am

Check this out! I recently had a job interview with Immersive Technologies after they looked at my M4M portfolio and wanted to see more! I highly doubt I got the job, since they hire people who have been to uni and such, and I have no professional background at all, but the fact that they looked at my portfolio and considered me for the job is a massive compliment! Thanks to all of the people who have come through M4M so far for giving me the portfolio pieces!
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Jordash on Thu May 03, 2012 5:50 am

Bravo! one of my friends worked for a company like that for a while, they are great for gaining experience
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby srredfire on Thu May 03, 2012 12:32 pm

If I had all the money in the world you would model a lot of things for me, okay?
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gambini on Thu May 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Congrats!
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu May 03, 2012 1:38 pm

what has been your workload lately? that is, if i come to you with a project today, how many days do you think it would take before you could work on my project? i just have this idea in my head that you have a huge back log because of your awesome skills.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Major Banter on Thu May 03, 2012 1:50 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:what has been your workload lately? that is, if i come to you with a project today, how many days do you think it would take before you could work on my project? i just have this idea in my head that you have a huge back log because of your awesome skills.

If I could take the courtesy of partly replying for Stormy, he multi-tasks on certain projects. When he did some animations for me, he did it alongside other commitments. Depends on the project's scale and 'difference'; if it's something unusual like animation, he's more likely to get it done because it's a break from the usual.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu May 03, 2012 2:08 pm

your SKS looks wicked awesome. i watched the videos of it in his youtube. it makes me think mor ethan ever that i could have a custom weapon of my own that i've been dreaming of...remember the Arisaka bolt-action rifle from COD: World at War? I want that...and here's why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_99_rifle

Get it? Get it? Now do you get it?
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gambini on Fri May 04, 2012 1:31 am

Use Anabelle :D
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Talk