First release of DuctTape

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: First release of DuctTape

Postby NightWolf on Tue May 05, 2009 1:02 am

Its finally release, very nice and good work!
NightWolf
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Carbon14 on Sun May 10, 2009 4:56 am

Hrmm, is it just me that finds the folder view that isn't a folder view annoying? I certainly initially found it irritating seeing what looked like folders but is really just a sorting system. Maybe name them more clearly or just have it show actual folders?

Looking forward to updates, particularly VMT creation and more in-depth texture compiling. At the moment it is still easier to do the textures by hand.
Carbon14
Regular
Regular

Postby coder0xff on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:52 pm

JakeB wrote:You call it Duct Tape..and yet no references to Red Green? Shame on you!

Erm...I mean awesome tool! :D

I'm not familiar with Red Green... So I guess double shame on me. Despite the appearance of idleness of the project, I have been hard at work rolling out some freaking awesome new features. You know... it's funny how excited I get about giving people cool shit. :lol:
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby coder0xff on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:19 am

Ah, what the hell. How 'bout a sneak peak?

coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TheMiede on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:08 am

When I try to run DuctTape for the first time, it says I need to run as an administrator to copy the files. But when I right click on the shortcut to run as administrator, the option is disabled. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
TheMiede
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby The Trooper on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:14 am

I had that problem also. I just had to run it on the first account created on my computer to fix it. But I have a second problem. When I run it now it says it can't find the api.dll file or something. I haven't reinstalled hammer in over a few months and I have been mapping the the last few days like crazy but it ask me if I have run it before... Any ideas?
If you kill me I'LL KILL YOU TOO!!!!
The Trooper
Regular
Regular

Postby coder0xff on Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Uninstall DuctTape. Delete the "Program Files/DuctTape" folder if it still exists. Install DuctTape. Those files should be copied during installation. However, if files like steam_api.dll are missing from the SDK it will not be able to get them. If you are installing/running DuctTape on a different login, then steam and the SDK must be installed and ran at least once on that login as well. To run it as Administrator, in your normal login, navigate to "Program Files/DuctTape". Right click DuctTape.exe and select run as Administrator. steam_api.dll is one of those files it needs, so hopefully it will fix your problem.

I'm actually adding a "feature" for this that will make DuctTape download/install steam, start steam, then install and run the SDKLauncher if necessary. Also gonna have it launch itself as administrator when needed, copy the files and then continue in non-administrator mode.

The disabled "Run as Administrator" problem is caused by the link being registry generated, and not a "real" link. This is because the installer is currently a Visual Studio deployment project. It will eventually be changed to WiX, but icba right now cause I know very little WiX. If another developer would like to assist, PLEASE let me know.

EDIT: Also, this isn't the appropriate place for support requests and bug reports. Please visit the sourceforge page for DuctTape and use the trackers. Make sure to use the search function to avoid duplicating issues.
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=240814
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Site News