Human Error Released

Comment on the news articles here.

Human Error Released

Postby Mess on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Congratulations to Au-Heppa and team, for their mod Human Error is finally made available to the masses.

You play as Anders, an ordinary man who must deal with the moral conflict of joining Civil Protection... but on the bright side, you get to play with manhacks, drive APCs, and kill Alien Grunts, Vortigaunts, Manta Rays, and Controllers!

Image Image

Visit the Human Error website or their Moddb page to download the mod. Let us know what you think in the forums!
Mess
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Re: Human Error Released

Postby srredfire on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Definately checkin it out.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby stoopdapoop on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:55 pm

What? really?

Sweet.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby staberas on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:12 pm

NIce Downloading
staberas
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby vcool on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Congrats to Heppa for breaking through on the other side. Apologies I abandoned the ship, but I think that was for the better.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Noodles on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Hej! Jag heter Anders! Vad heter du?

Sorry, been listening to my Swedish conversation audio tapes lately, and they are ALWAYS about someone called Anders or Lars. :smt023

So any opinions on this mod?
'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havershambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary Rawlinson End.'
Noodles
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:57 pm

This is a 70 minute download for me. I am on minute 2. My lunch break is 60 minutes long.

Woe is me.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Habboi on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Judging from the 2010 trailer it looks like it has a lot of nice custom stuff like weapons and enemies. I like the Manhack Deployer although the mapping doesn't seem to be overly amazing and it actually reminds me of that really old mod with the theme music. I can't think of the name but they had loads of "funny" references and you had to sneak into a mansion as a Metro.

I'm saying this because of the Human Error Metrocop Theme song which has a sort of funny side to it? Hell there's even a trailer which is filled with humour. Is this a funny mod or a serious one cause I can't tell now @_@
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby YokaI on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:39 pm

lol I really shouldn't have downloaded in exe-format: It really slowed down my PC performance much more so than a .exe file should, so I assume it either has to do with vista or the way the .exe was made.

But I'm still going to play this obviously, just found it funny because I read a thread about exes recently.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby staberas on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Great Game, Clever Game Puzzles , Cools new toys (Manhack FTW)
LOVED IT 10/10
staberas
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby source-maps on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Habboi wrote:although the mapping doesn't seem to be overly amazing and it actually reminds me of that really old mod with the theme music. I can't think of the name but they had loads of "funny" references and you had to sneak into a mansion as a Metro.

day hard

also this :-D

source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby YokaI on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:13 pm

I was enjoying it, until I died an my tank disappeared. FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Armageddon on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:55 pm

Day hard is best mod ever.

But anyways I really do enjoy this mod. It's not the best but it's nice. When will we see some work on the next episode?
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:15 am

Mod review time

Highlight to read:
I must say that, of all the mods I've played that took place in the HL universe, this was definitely one of the better ones, although it did have its share of issues.

First, the good. The weapon system was kinda cool, having to choose which weapon to hold onto, rather than having a hyperspace arsenal, plus you increased the capacity on the AR2, which was much appreciated. And I enjoyed getting my hands on the alyxpistol, though it didn't make much sense having that name, machine pistol would have been more fitting, as I doubt Anders knows who Alyx is. The vehicle section was a nice addition, though it was kinda frustrating to lose all my shields from rebels about a mile away(whose bullets would do no damage to my permanent health after my shields were gone, just bouncing off the metal of the APC). The manhack sections(reminiscent of flying Floyd in the minigames of JetForceGemini, if I may) were nice breaks in the gameplay, though the manhacks were woefully underpowered versus even the lowliest headcrab(or maybe I was just missing them).

Now, the not so good. The writing was okay, there were parts where I was laughing, but there were other scenes where the flaws stood out. My biggest complaint is that, while you may know many people who use it regularly in everyday conversation, you'll notice that few mainstream movies(or games) use 'fuck' very often. And when they do, they usually don't yell it fifty times in one minute(you know the scene). There was one scene where Noah(I think) sees you and says, "What the fuck, Anders..." It would have been better had he simply said hell, it would have been more transparent and natural. There is a subtlety to be achieved in writing profanity, and this mod doesn't have it.

But I also have gripes with the flashbacks/hallucinations/whatever. The first time you recharge a generator has the girl(forgot her name) show up and have a conversation with you. She says something about Eloise being your whore or something and don't get pulled around by your dick or whatever. This makes no sense given the ending, where she reveals that you joined civil protection because you thought you'd either be able to stay with her, or at least save her life. This conversation also doesn't fit in with her general tone and diction(which i felt was unnatural and purple prose-esque at times) what with the 'dispensing with pleasantries'.

And the game summary promises a "moral quagmire of thinly disguised genocide and raging psychotics." Though, unless you were aiming for a morally dissonant experience where the player would have to create this quagmire on their own, I think you might have missed this mark. The only real characters in the game are part of civil protection, and by their having real personalities, you can't help but feel sympathetic to them. Larson doesn't seem like a faceless genocidal maniac, but a simple and meek man; Eloise may be a bitch, but she didn't seem all that bad; and Noah was strangely likable, despite his being an asshole for no real reason all the time. Plus, one has to consider who was on the other side of the conflict. Sure, there were the rebels, and the freed vortigaunts, but I never felt that the other Xenians were ever really enslaved by Nhilanth(though I may be wrong). I don't think I'd really trust the controllers much(by the way, the death grunts of these guys were laugh-inducing, you could totally tell someone just grabbed a microphone and made some silly dying noises), or the alien grunts, and if they're supposedly wanting peace and escape or whatever then why did they bring dropships? Also, it's kinda hard to feel bad about killing rebels when you're shooting at tiny little figures running around the street levels, taking potshots at you.

Please don't have as many 'fucks' in the next one, it's lazy writing.
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby srredfire on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:31 am

Just finished it. I agree with Jigsaw on everything. Lots of cool features, but everyone was super ugly looking, and the music didn't fit. Also the controllers had like, Vortiguaunt voices, instead of their eerie screeches. :\

Overall it was decent, but the ending was WAYYYY too abrupt, even if it is just an episode, it came out of nowhere.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Site News