Natural Selection 2 Lerk Video

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Natural Selection 2 Lerk Video

Postby Gradius on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:57 pm

vcool wrote:I was not really that impressed. :/

gimme demo

Natural Selection 1 is free providing you own Half-Life 1, which if you're on this community you should.
Gradius
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:30 pm

Apparently space marines are still the in-thing.
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby bobthehobo on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Can someone explain this whole Natural Selection thing to me? From what I gather, it started off as a mod for HL1, a very popular one at that, and then the team behind it decided to become an actual studio? And release NS2 years later? I don't get all the hype. Or fan base, for that matter.
Do the internet a favor: proof read your posts.
XBL: Doctor Fifer
bobthehobo
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby ThePain on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:42 pm

bobthehobo wrote:Can someone explain this whole Natural Selection thing to me? From what I gather, it started off as a mod for HL1, a very popular one at that, and then the team behind it decided to become an actual studio? And release NS2 years later? I don't get all the hype. Or fan base, for that matter.

Um, yeah that's basically it, and you answered your own question.
I don't get all the hype. Or fan base, for that matter.

it started off as a mod for HL1, a very popular one at that
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Hellraz0r on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:59 pm

It was an AWESOME mod, I loved it. Can't wait for NS2.
Hellraz0r
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby YokaI on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:47 am

ThePain wrote:
I don't get all the hype. Or fan base, for that matter.

it started off as a mod for HL1, a very popular one at that

Obviously you haven't played the game. HL1 NS was probably the best half life 1 mod released, and it was free and developed by a non-valve based studio. THAT's why it's hyped. NS2 also looks better than recently released AVP, which as 30 more dollars w/out the extra gimmicks you get from the more expensive version. Also, the engine experience and mapping thus far is supurb. That also adds to the "hype." I think you're too used to the HL2 quality of mods, NS1 was practically a retail game in quality. The feature of an RTS FPS hybrid has found itself in several games since, but NS1 was really the first game to introduce said system. And much like starcraft (the whole game was like FPS starcraft), the playstyles between the two teams were vastly different from one another while still being rather balanced.

The only thing that prevents me from still playing NS1 on HL1 engine is the fact that since HL1 is out of date and unsupported, the game is filled with hackers. VAC's lack of HL1 engine protection single handedly destroyed what was left of the original game, and thus it's a game that has come and gone. This means that unfortunately, none of you will ever be able to experience the game that some of us had experienced back in the old days of Half Life 1 modding.

Since then, many people related to the NS1 project have moved on and become successful. There's still many of those developers who remain loyal to seeing NS2 become a reality, after many struggling issues (apparently money had run very dry, and at one point the concept of ever seeing this game have a rebirth was nearly null.)

To FURTHER information, NS2 started as a for-retail HL2 mod and there were negotiations with the Valve team. Unfortunately, the HL2 engine didn't really provide them what they needed (a prop heavy / easy to work with editor / probably some other unmentioned information) and because of that they moved to a new engine. They've been developing the game for about a year (?) now, or atleast have had a working / showable game since the summer of 09. This is basically as much of what I can recall of following the games progress for so long.

I really honestly don't mind if you don't think the game is for you, but I think it's a bit of a shame that a studio of 10 or so people is being compared to those with an rather large pool of developers.'

I guess all I have to say is, the hype is built on the fact that the original game was fookin' good. If you didn't play it, you just won't get hyped from gameplay trailers and seeing the development unflesh, which this video is actually from (a rather long article about the changes of NS2's lerker in comparison to HL1's NS, including the return of his famous projectile (there's no "stabbing" going on, he's shooting needles, you were mistaken in your original post)). I guess I should say you should keep waiting, and maybe wait until a few of us on 'lopers get our hands on the alpha that we receive for preordering.

I preordered this game because it's everything I want the modding community to be: formed with the idea that someday you can make a game good enough that gains so much success and popularity, that it isn't completely unlikely that you can continue with your studio and continue making progress much like any other company. The game (with early beta access) is 20 dollars, plus for the longest time it was packaged with ANOTHER independent game, made by another small studio. I also preordered to support many of the modders from interlopers who are apart of the project, Dux being probably one of a few.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:59 pm

Driver 1 and Driver 2 were good.

Driv3r wasn't.

I don't go on sequel logic, and this video was poor quality in contrast to their developer logs and previous alien introduction short.

This video is not good. This does not mean the game is poor quality, it means that someone cocked up somewhere. It was a perfectly good introduction, but it's full of problems. I won't nitpick, but I think this was a wasted opportunity to show off the maps, models and atmosphere - something every other video has tried.

Sad face, really.

I get the hype, I get the fan base, but this video is a very lacking addition to their rather good library.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SoundFX on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:02 pm

If you have not played NS1 you may be missing stuff. It doesn't appeal to everyone, but anyone that has played a game of starcraft or RTS will like this game. Anyone that might be into say Warhammer40k or the likes. It might be for you. And even if you just like shoot the shit out of aliens or eating humans. This game is for you.

Yes you won't be as excited from the video as NS veterans IE: When i saw the video i said "OH SHIT THEY GAVE LERKS SPIKES?!?!?!" Anyway, if you happen to own HL1 (who doesnt?) go hop in a game or 5. It has a touch of a learning curve so be open minded.
SoundFX
Regular
Regular

Postby poisonic on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:55 pm

what is the definition of quality in games...... are you the one that likes eye candy? or the one who prefers gameplay?
allot of games are filled with lots of eye candy but the gameplay is horrible...

And if unknownworlds is a prof. game company now why are they asking for money with a pre-order?? :smt044
personaly i think its a bit stupid to give your SDK away before the game hits the market....(there are allot of risks in doing that..... stealing,textures models etc.....)
no other game company would do that... also the pre-order for a unfinished product is a bit lame.... :[]:
[img:400]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/poisonic.png[/img]
poisonic
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby YokaI on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:37 pm

poisonic wrote:what is the definition of quality in games...... are you the one that likes eye candy? or the one who prefers gameplay?
allot of games are filled with lots of eye candy but the gameplay is horrible...

And if unknownworlds is a prof. game company now why are they asking for money with a pre-order?? :smt044
personaly i think its a bit stupid to give your SDK away before the game hits the market....(there are allot of risks in doing that..... stealing,textures models etc.....)
no other game company would do that... also the pre-order for a unfinished product is a bit lame.... :[]:

No other game company would do that... besides every other independent developer, including the one they did the preorder deal with. :?

FFS, they're not begging for pre-orders or anything, and the the people who preorder the game are mostly those who enjoyed the first team and know the staff is up to putting a quality project, and even if they don't put up the best quality work I still feel inclined to pay them for the many years of NS1 enjoyment and help them down the road of developing a new game.

Just because they are charging doesn't mean they have the worlds largest income, therefore they have to try to get money before hand so they actually have some sort of budget.

I don't really get what anybody finds wrong with this video. If you are talking about the lerker levatating, and actually complaining about it, I guess none of you have flown flying mounts in WoW. That's just the way the class plays. :? Some obserdly over dramatic flight movements would make it a big pain in the ass to control anyhow, so whatever. What ever happened to games being games? :lol: In comparison to AVP, this game even looks better, which is sad considering the differences between the two companies in terms of size.

From an NS player, this trailer looks great... >_>

The way I see it:
Preordering:
- Gets you beta, to help the game be better final product.
- Gives you final product.
////////////
Preordering (40 dollar)
- Gives you alpha access (keep in mind, the game is still heavily in development. I think it's wrong to call this a trailer, since it's a part of a development process post on the main page of Unknownworlds.com )
- Gives you Alpha
- Gives you Beta

If you REALLY want to know what NS is about, play the free version on Half Life 1 ffs. I honestly don't understand how a community of inspiring developers can be naive to think that because this game is retail, they have unlimited funding. Maybe I'm just over-reacting though, but maybe I should just skip the independent development scene and just go straight to working for EA if this is the way everyone will react to a small team of developers.

[/me taking myself too seriously again]
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Fanboyism leaves no solid argument. Please refrain from being a faggot fanboy.

Seriously.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby YokaI on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Major Banter wrote:Fanboyism leaves no solid argument. Please refrain from being a faggot fanboy.

Seriously.

My, what a high class argument. I see you've been on a mock trial team.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:21 pm

YokaI wrote:
Major Banter wrote:Fanboyism leaves no solid argument. Please refrain from being a faggot fanboy.

Seriously.

1: Oh, sarcasm. High class wit indeed. Irony factor. Naturally using such a mannerism enables you to seemingly elevate yourself above me in some way, despite the fact that I don't really care.

2: There is no point in fully justifying my point; your attitude is there to see. I merely made a simple comment that you've taken out of hand.

3: Evidently my humour is also below your station. If you can take faggot fanboy seriously...well. I had simply assumed you could compute a fair argument rather than simply stoop to piss-taking. I had also assumed being jokey and you trying to step back on the epic, NS2 serving comments would be rather helpful, as nobody here is out to get either your or the fucking game. So relax. Jesus fucking Christ.

FFS

Stop being such a prissy bitch. Accept the argument. The video is weak.

EDIT: Want to continue? Take it to PMs. Thread clogging is not good practice.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bobthehobo on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Ah, the internets.
Do the internet a favor: proof read your posts.
XBL: Doctor Fifer
bobthehobo
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby YokaI on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Major Banter wrote:
YokaI wrote:

Seriously.

1: Oh, sarcasm. High class wit indeed. Irony factor. Naturally using such a mannerism enables you to seemingly elevate yourself above me in some way, despite the fact that I don't really care.

Clearly you do, or you wouldn't have reacted again to my sarcastic remark, and the irony of my post is that you yourself are the one on the high horse thinking you can take my entire post above yours and label it as fanboyism. In other words, I said "Fuck you"

EDIT: Want to continue? Take it to PMs. Thread clogging is not good practice.

Sir yes sir, mr. Moderator! Though I see no reason why discussing NS2 is out of place in the NS2 news post.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

PreviousNext

Return to Site News