Valve vs Zynga

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Valve vs Zynga

Postby RefaelBA on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:43 am

jgoodroad wrote:so let me get this strait your saying you like Bioware more because you have played their games more recently?
like if I said Zynga is better because I just got a Facebook account (thank god I don't)?

I played 3 masterpieces from BioWare in recent years, while no games from Valve, so the answer is Absolutely. Creating three of the best games I ever played and releasing them in a timespan of 3 years? That's what you call AMAZING. I don't hate Valve, I was just so impressed by BioWare while Valve are kind of out of the picture, so at the time, BioWare are my favourites.

I just don't understand where this sense of loyaly to Valve comes from, I mean come on, release some games damn it. Do something. And I mean something Meaningful, not another L4D game. While BioWare is out there kicking ass, Valve are just waiting for a wakeup call. So why not tell it like it is and admit that currently, Valve can't share a timezone with BioWare, because their sheer awesomeness will evaporate Valve altogether. :P
RefaelBA

Postby jgoodroad on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:55 am

you forget valve releases about a game a yr, this years title? portal 2.
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Postby Zipfinator on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:34 am

RefaelBA wrote:I just don't understand where this sense of loyaly to Valve comes from, I mean come on, release some games damn it. Do something. And I mean something Meaningful, not another L4D game. While BioWare is out there kicking ass, Valve are just waiting for a wakeup call. So why not tell it like it is and admit that currently, Valve can't share a timezone with BioWare, because their sheer awesomeness will evaporate Valve altogether. :P

Your post has a ton of holes in it... Valve doesn't release a game every year because they spend time polishing their games and making sure the gameplay and story are at very high standards. Sorry to use such blunt language but you're stupid if you think Bioware polishes their games to the same level as Valve's in their 1/2 year release windows. While I enjoyed Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 very much, they both had a ton of visual glitches, bad story plots, lack of interesting gameplay at times and just overall terrible looking environments due to a lot of outsourcing. I'd much rather be loyal to a studio that releases a game every 4 years but polishes it to where it's as enjoyable as it can be than a studio that outsources most of their artwork and puts all of their work into flashy dialogue systems.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:24 am

Mass effect 2 seems a hell of a lot more polished then L4D2...

I voted against Valve for the same reason Refael said.

And I can't say anything about Portal 2, for all we know it's shit. We won't know until it's released.

Valve also pissed me off with the Ep3 thing, they said they were going to release episodes within small time frames... well, three years is not a "small time frame".
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby MNM on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:57 am

RefaelBA wrote:I played 3 masterpieces from BioWare in recent years, while no games from Valve

2007-OB
2008-L4D
2009-L4D2
2010-Portal 2?
that + loads of TF2 updates and such.

Play them then.
When in doubt, VDC.
MNM
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby RefaelBA on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:00 am

MNM wrote:
RefaelBA wrote:I played 3 masterpieces from BioWare in recent years, while no games from Valve

2007-OB
2008-L4D
2009-L4D2
2010-Portal 2?
that + loads of TF2 updates and such.

Play them then.

Please read the previous posts... I don't usually play multiplayer games only and I don't intend to spend money on L4D. OB is hardly what you call recent time - it was three years ago and it was too a masterpiece. But you can't play the same awesome game for 3 years (if you can, good for you! I can't).

Zipfinator wrote:Your post has a ton of holes in it... Valve doesn't release a game every year because they spend time polishing their games and making sure the gameplay and story are at very high standards. Sorry to use such blunt language but you're stupid if you think Bioware polishes their games to the same level as Valve's in their 1/2 year release windows. While I enjoyed Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 very much, they both had a ton of visual glitches, bad story plots, lack of interesting gameplay at times and just overall terrible looking environments due to a lot of outsourcing. I'd much rather be loyal to a studio that releases a game every 4 years but polishes it to where it's as enjoyable as it can be than a studio that outsources most of their artwork and puts all of their work into flashy dialogue systems.

I don't mind your bluntness, in fact I've seen you do a lot worse. Valve's games might be more polished, but that doesn't stop BioWare from releasing games that are the epitome of the industry in a dazzling rate. So what if Portal was more polished? It was a 5 hour campaign, while in Dragon Age the slightly less polished, I went through a 70-hour epic adventure that I am sure to remember for the rest of my life. Never before in a game did I get so closely attached to game characters, and actually to this very day I keep pondering the choices I made, and whether or not it's worth it to stick with the Ultimate Sacrifice ending that fits my character so well. You can't expect a game of 60+ hours to be perfect, like you can't expect every page in a book to be absolutely perfect - but the overall experience is more than the sum of the game's parts. And I never found BioWare's game to be lacking in gameplay or plot - I honestly credit them as the superior masters of RPG and currently, gaming in general...
Portal was fun and polished, but in the end the thing I will remember most strongly about it, is the song in the credits and the companion cube. Can't remember more than three puzzles from the game. Portal is history, while Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 are concurrent.

Now don't get me wrong, I never said Valve made bad games, I just said they're not making anything I'd like to play for quite a while. I hope they ship an excellent Portal 2 title and that Ep3 will come out eventually - but bottom line, I wouldn't notice anything if Valve closed tomorrow.
RefaelBA

Postby MNM on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 am

There is a singleplayer mode in L4D...
When in doubt, VDC.
MNM
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 am

I love how we are debating Valve vs Bioware AFTER the competition ended.
Dives wrote:Source is kinda like that really old guy in your family that keeps getting older and older and just won't die, but he tells really great stories. And craps the bed on occasion.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby source-maps on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:24 pm

MNM wrote:There is a singleplayer mode in L4D...

never ever play singleplayer mode in l4d!

I also agree that l4d2 feels a bit unpolished / rushed
at the same time it is pretty amazing they made a game within a year of this standard.. it is still a very good game
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MNM on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:34 pm

source-maps wrote:

It's fairly ok on easy and normal. Any harder and the bots do nothing...
When in doubt, VDC.
MNM
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby source-maps on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:27 pm

MNM wrote:
source-maps wrote:

its not because its hard :p ist just ment to be played with friends
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MNM on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:38 pm

source-maps wrote:
MNM wrote:
source-maps wrote:

its not because its hard :p ist just ment to be played with friends

I know. It's pretty fun with the bots on the easy difficulties too. Not comparable to playing with friends of course :D
When in doubt, VDC.
MNM
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Major Banter on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:57 pm

Bioware < Valve.

Why?

I wonder, posting on a massive community site which is one of hundreds.

Go find the same with Bioware.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RefaelBA on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Major Banter wrote:Bioware < Valve.

Why?

I wonder, posting on a massive community site which is one of hundreds.

Go find the same with Bioware.

That's right, it's a little absurd to have this debate on the 'lopers forum. But people here are mature enough to handle this discussion and it's going on pretty well. Valve supports a big community thanks to the SDK, which is a brilliant thing in itself, but I'm trying to address games only in this discussion. And the fact is, the BioWare are on a massive roll. So why not praise their wonderful work? Valve derailed from single player games a few years ago. Once they're back on track, I'll have something to be excited about. So far Valve is giving me nothing...
RefaelBA

Postby source-maps on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:43 pm

RefaelBA wrote:Valve derailed from single player games a few years ago. Once they're back on track, I'll have something to be excited about. So far Valve is giving me nothing...

well, get used to merged single/multiplayers like l4d because I think that is the direction most developers are trying to take it now.

I personally think it is a good thing and I wonder what valve has to offer in the future, see they test something like that out like in l4d, and expand on it in newer games
I can only imagine how bad ass portal 2 coop is going to be :-)
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

PreviousNext

Return to Site News