Engineer Update Coming Soon

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Engineer Update Coming Soon

Postby source-maps on Thu May 06, 2010 11:45 pm

YokaI wrote:The hats aren't my problem, my problem is the lack of competitive atmosphere. IF the game had a stronger competitive community, it would be much more enjoyable to play. I actually think hats are a nice way to reward a player for playing but not give them any competitive advantage.

Unfortunately, many of the classes lack tactics (That's why I play Spy, Sniper, and Engy sometimes) and the game isn't as much about skill anymore as it is about logging hours and getting lucky with weapon drops. Some may say WoW is the same, but while there's still a time sink you have to put into the game, there's a huge competitive community revolved around that game. Also, more importantly, you know exactly what you need to do to get whatever piece of gear, and you are rewarded efficiently for playing well and for playing with a community.

THe problem with TF2 is that there's too many weapon unlocks and there are some that just AREN'T good. Even worse, some of the old secondary / melee weapons weren't used in a way that makes the classes unique. I also feel like you should be able to switch to any weapon on the fly, because loadouts make you blindly make a selection before a round starts. It would be nice as a sniper to be able to use both the Jarate and sub machine gun. Many weapons that used to be the default weapons were not buffed and were ignored.

Valve, instead of making weapon unlocks, should have been changing the game through primary weapons. Why not make the old medic needle gun the bluntsauger by default?

read yokai>

Tf2 Blog wrote:We're still thinking about how to allow you to influence your drops. When we see discussions on the forums, people often ask why we don't tie it to some in-game performance (like your scoreboard position, or number of kills, etc). Many players understand that if we did this, idle servers would simply change into servers running plugins that generate those in-game events frequently (as we saw in the Soldier & Demoman WAR!).

There's another side of it that we care about just as much, which is the message it would send to all the players who don't want to idle. Any in-game performance metric we chose would result in there being specific maps, classes, tactics, and so on that resulted in more drops. We really don't want that to happen. When it's simply playtime, you're free to play the game however you like. If you love Payload, you can play Payload maps without worrying about whether you're earning less drops than the guys playing Arena maps. Community mapmakers don't have to worry about whether their maps earn item drops fast enough. Similarly, server operators can configure their servers however they like, without worrying about reducing the rate at which their players are earning drops. In short, while it's far from perfect, not tying to in-game performance is a lot less poisonous to your minute-to-minute game experience
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby jgoodroad on Fri May 07, 2010 12:29 am

...did someone say TF2 ISN'T competitive!?!

I hate to be the guy to break it to the compTF2 clans...they will be so heart-broken

and all those websites that valve has linked to, all the trailers, the comps, the servers, all were just illusions.

I have been in a comp or two in my time. and even some skrims.
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Postby Stubby on Fri May 07, 2010 4:51 am

LET ALL GET MAD OVER FREE CONTENT.

Seriously, all the stuff we are getting for free is fantastic. We get stuff that is out of balance every now and then, but overall valve is doing a great job.
Stubby
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Elv02 on Fri May 07, 2010 12:42 pm

Stubby wrote:LET ALL GET MAD OVER FREE CONTENT.

Seriously, all the stuff we are getting for free is fantastic. We get stuff that is out of balance every now and then, but overall valve is doing a great job.

I'm not "getting mad" so much as expressing my opinion that TF2 is an entirely different experience then when they released it. I'm happy they keep it updated and I think it's fantastic that there's always a new experience around the corner! I guess I can't really talk though since I rarely get around to playing it anymore :(

Anyway, I'm still waiting for a Meet the Medic/Pyro video! :)
"Hello, again, and welcome to the Interlopers Enrichment Center. Your account has been proccesed. Please proceed into 'section name, here' and we will start the test...
Elv02
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby ThePain on Fri May 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Stubby wrote:LET ALL GET MAD OVER FREE CONTENT.

Every time I see one of these comments I always make the point that if I shit in a bag and gave it to you, the fact it was free from me won't make you want to show it off to all your friends as your most prized possession.

Really I find it funny when people try and compete in Team Fortress 2, it's like hearing people talk about Arenas in WoW. The game was never meant to be competitive, never intended to be. All of the weapon unlocks showed this quite clearly.
The fact a group makes a competitive league doesn't mean that the game is now a skill based game, just that people are willing to do horrible things to themselves in their spare time.

I'll believe TF2 is a competitive, skill based game when it's a viable option to go Engineer in league play.

I love TF2. Love the guns, the hats, all of it, but it's sad-funny when I hear people say, with a straight face in a non-sarcastic way, that it's a competitive skill based FPS like Quake 3, or Counter Strike 1.6 or Call of Duty 1 and 2 are.
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby stoopdapoop on Fri May 07, 2010 11:19 pm

engie update is nice.

But fuck, fix the sdk.

holy shit.

<more swearing>
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby snufflez on Fri May 07, 2010 11:46 pm

His glove is off, Power glove anyone?

Dongs.
snufflez
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby ThePain on Sat May 08, 2010 1:47 am

snufflez wrote:His glove is off, Power glove anyone?

THAT IS NOT A REAL POWER GLOVE D:<

*NERD RAGES*
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby oneups on Sat May 08, 2010 5:37 am

Speaking of how terrible hats are and what a terrible game TF2 is, this update looks awesome. The video looks awesome. Bout damn time the engi update came out.
oneups
Regular
Regular

Postby JLea on Wed May 12, 2010 7:12 am

I'm glad TF2 isn't considered competitive to be honest, since every competitive "pro" gamer is always an asshole with a huge ego who rages about any change to the game. Good riddance.
JLea
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed May 12, 2010 10:17 am

JLea wrote:I'm glad TF2 isn't considered competitive to be honest, since every competitive "pro" gamer is always an asshole with a huge ego who rages about any change to the game. Good riddance.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jgoodroad on Thu May 13, 2010 12:07 am

I am pro, and I don't have a big ego...

*stuffs ego into skull*
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Previous