Soul Destroying Kit

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Soul Destroying Kit

Postby marks on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Major Banter wrote:They refine workflow, they work around problems.

Sure it does refine workflow, but only to the same extent that you can administer first aid by putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound. Minor fixes and workarounds do not fix the funamental issues with the tools.

Major Banter wrote:Calm down. It's a point, not the foundation of my argument. Jeeeeeeez bro.

Well what is the foundation of your argument, that the SDK tools are generally quite good? They really, really aren't. I'm telling you man if you went to a major AAA studio like Valve is, plonked Valve's tools down on the table and forced them to make a game with them .... a shitstorm of epic proportions would come down.

Good tools are efficient, bad tools are usable. Source SDK tools are borderline usable.
Last edited by marks on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby source-maps on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:08 pm

marks join the group and invite your monochrome buddies as well :)
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Plague on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Now we're talking!
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:36 pm

Plague wrote:Here we go!
Its open to the public, I'll mark Officers when I see trusted people. (I.E. You guys :) )
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/better_sdk

Mate, at least make it a half serious group. What kind of title is AOGIMMDRSDKI! (AOGIMM) ?

The group doesn't even have any details.

If you lot are serious about bending Valve's ear then you need act with more tact than some pond life from Facepunch
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby source-maps on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:38 pm

yeah the title is a bit silly
and yes we also need a description
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:57 pm

Blink wrote:Mate, at least make it a half serious group. What kind of title is AOGIMMDRSDKI! (AOGIMM) ?

If you lot are serious about bending Valve's ear then you need act with more tact than some pond life from Facepunch

This.

I also joined the group, as a member, I demand that you do what Blink recommended.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Vilham on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:57 pm

So another evening of UDK and it continues to shit all over SDK.
Designer - Frontier Developments
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby source-maps on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:01 am

Gary wrote:
Blink wrote:Mate, at least make it a half serious group. What kind of title is AOGIMMDRSDKI! (AOGIMM) ?

This.

I also joined the group, as a member, I demand that you do what Blink recommended.

let's make a good list in this thread with all the things that are really not oke
and have them listed in that group.
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dr. Delta on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:06 am

marks wrote:
Major Banter wrote:They refine workflow, they work around problems.

Sure it does refine workflow, but only to the same extent that you can administer first aid by putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound. Minor fixes and workarounds do not fix the funamental issues with the tools.

Major Banter wrote:Calm down. It's a point, not the foundation of my argument. Jeeeeeeez bro.

Well what is the foundation of your argument, that the SDK tools are generally quite good? They really, really aren't. I'm telling you man if you went to a major AAA studio like Valve is, plonked Valve's tools down on the table and forced them to make a game with them .... a shitstorm of epic proportions would come down.

Good tools are efficient, bad tools are usable. Source SDK tools are borderline usable.

And Ep3 took how long to be make?
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Plague on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:44 am

The name technically is the description.....
Please though feel free to Change things, pretty sure i gave officers a crap ton of leeway.

Also by all means send me PMs or mention things you want my to add here.
I'll go modify the description now, just had to restart to upgrade some drivers and i left to eat dinner.

Edit:
I made the changes, it was spur of the moment and we are meant to improve over time.
Also the name is part for fun and part serious, as it is what the group is about.

If we get conflicted about it though we can rename the group.

Also again I made sure Officers could do about everything except ban people from the chat.
So add on you're additions and make announcements and events. I trust we are adults and can do so with restraint.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Nutomic on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:23 am

You should probably add a link here or to this thread so people know what problems youre talking about.
Nutomic

Postby Plague on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:30 am

Added.
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Penney on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:19 am

I've been using Worldcraft/Hammer since 98/99. I can certainly say the only time I ever saw the SDK go up in its value was when source first released, but since then it has rushed downhill fast.
Penney

Postby PiMuRho on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:15 am

I joined the group.

Interestingly, I solved one of the issues I was having - the one where Hammer was just closing when opening certain maps. It turns out that it was only doing this on my ZM2 config - I could open the maps with a stock HL2 config just fine. Further experimentation showed that it was crashing only when the ZM2 FGD was being loaded on its own. If I added the base.fgd or halflife2.fgd in the game config, it worked.
It still makes no sense to me. Why those few maps? Why did it suddenly start crashing when opening them when the maps hadn't changed at all, and nor had the FGD?

So yeah, I'm happy that I got it to work. I'm still pissed off that I had to, and that it was such a stupid and totally esoteric thing.
PiMuRho

Postby Plague on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:27 am

Its great to have you on board!

I agree that is a little weird, Sounds like Hammer is having issue with an ent maybe...
None the less that is a great example of a real issue with Hammer, No good method of debugging issues like these.
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Site News