Details On Next L4D DLC Emerge

Comment on the news articles here.

Details On Next L4D DLC Emerge

Postby ad_hominem on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:29 am

While many of us may have forgotten about the promised DLC campaign for Left 4 Dead, Valve clearly haven't. Nor, for that matter, have PC Gamer who have conducted an interview with Chet Faliszek about what we can expect from the update. There're some pretty interesting details featured in the article, including the following snippet:
The original plan was to make The Sacrifice for Left 4 Dead only. L4D2 had The Passing, and its counterpart was meant as an exclusive for the original game. Chet explains. “It’s a really fun campaign, it’s got lots of high Hunter leap points and stuff. And we said ‘You know, this would be really cool in Left 4 Dead 2. Some of these locations would be cool for the Spitter and the Charger.’ So we decided we’d release The Sacrifice not just for Left 4 Dead 1, but for Left 4 Dead 2.”

The decision to add No Mercy to Left 4 Dead 2 was simply that it was very popular with players, and Valve like it a lot. “When we first changed them over,” Chet says, “they were brutally hard. Your strategy of holing up in corners just disappears, because the Spitter is going to wreak havoc. The Rooftop of No Mercy now, with Chargers and Tanks, is… you’d better not stand by a ledge.”

They addressed that by giving players the best of Left 4 Dead 2’s arsenal, including several of the mighty M60 machineguns added by The Passing. “You’re playing as the Left 4 Dead 1 characters in Left 4 Dead 1 maps, but you get melee weapons, the new weapons, the defib – all the stuff from Left 4 Dead 2. You get to see Zoe with a chainsaw, Zoe with an axe,” Chet says with ill-hidden lust.

It looks like the upcoming Left 4 Dead DLC, named The Sacrifice, has something for owners of both games, then. You can read the rest of the interview at PC Gamer's website.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Re: Details On Next L4D DLC Emerge

Postby mclelun on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:56 am

great update, but now I have no more reason to login to L4D1.
mclelun
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby no00dylan on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Does this mean we could see... custom survivors!? DUN DUN DUNNNN
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cpl. punishment on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:29 pm

mclelun wrote:great update, but now I have no more reason to login to L4D1.

What was the point of having two separate games again?
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby YokaI on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:33 pm

I don't get it. When I said valve should have just packaged the L4D1 campaigns in with L4D2, everyone said "no way man, that would mean that people would get screwed if they already bought the first one, valve knows better." But now, L4D2 is released and it's sold probably more than the original with a 50 dollar price tag, and now they include content from the original game and content that at one point was intended for the original game, and everyone goes bat shit crazy thinking it's so uncalled for an awesome that they'd give this content for free.

I see a contradiction. :roll: What makes this any different than if they had just packaged the L4D1 content with L4D2 from the get go? Nothing... Literally, nothing...

As far as I see it, we were played right into valves hands. Essentially, we paid for content ahead of time when with most other companies they'd actually have to package the quick sequel with the content from the previous game. (Ala SSF4 or any expansion pack.) Now they raked 2 50 dollar games out of something that could have easily been 1 30 dollar game and a 30 dollar expansion, and not to mention the fact Xbox owners will probably have to pay for the additional content again... I'm pretty sure we were just played the fool...

Don't get me wrong, I love the l4d1 characters and maps, and I think it's great that they FINALLY added the l4d1 map(s), but honestly I find it funny that everyone was so defensive about the statement saying valve should package the l4d1 content with l4d2 when... Well, they do the same shit a year later!
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Chopium on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Memory budget.
Chopium

Postby Hypey[UG] on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:32 pm

cpl. punishment wrote:
mclelun wrote:great update, but now I have no more reason to login to L4D1.

What was the point of having two separate games again?

thats like asking a call of duty player why he should play cod4 and mw2..
i36-i40? <3
Hypey[UG]
Regular
Regular

Postby source-maps on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:43 pm

YokaI wrote:I don't get it. When I said valve should have just packaged the L4D1 campaigns in with L4D2, everyone said "no way man, that would mean that people would get screwed if they already bought the first one, valve knows better." But now, L4D2 is released and it's sold probably more than the original with a 50 dollar price tag, and now they include content from the original game and content that at one point was intended for the original game, and everyone goes bat shit crazy thinking it's so uncalled for an awesome that they'd give this content for free.

I see a contradiction. :roll: What makes this any different than if they had just packaged the L4D1 content with L4D2 from the get go? Nothing... Literally, nothing...

As far as I see it, we were played right into valves hands. Essentially, we paid for content ahead of time when with most other companies they'd actually have to package the quick sequel with the content from the previous game. (Ala SSF4 or any expansion pack.) Now they raked 2 50 dollar games out of something that could have easily been 1 30 dollar game and a 30 dollar expansion, and not to mention the fact Xbox owners will probably have to pay for the additional content again... I'm pretty sure we were just played the fool...

Don't get me wrong, I love the l4d1 characters and maps, and I think it's great that they FINALLY added the l4d1 map(s), but honestly I find it funny that everyone was so defensive about the statement saying valve should package the l4d1 content with l4d2 when... Well, they do the same shit a year later!

Can't you just be happy :D
I bet they brought the original survivors to l4d2 so they can keep making stories with them
because I think it's the last dlc for l4d1 (not 100% sure tho)

also don't defend the xbox dudes, if you are such an idiot to buy it on the 360 you deserve to pay for DLC
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby no00dylan on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Time and time again valve does something Yokai either predicts or wanted before. This makes me laugh. Yokai, you're cool in my books. I love this update.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Yeah, YokaI, I'm sure valve had actually planned all of this.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TwiggyTwink on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm super excited for this. And I can honestly say I was not expecting to play L4D1 characters in L4D2. I'm soo0o0o0o0o looking to be Louis with a baseball bat and a chrome shotgun!

: D
TwiggyTwink
Regular
Regular

Postby no00dylan on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Thank you twiggy. The words Louis with a baseball bat and chrome shotgun really put into perspective how awesome this will be.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:18 pm

god damn vampires
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby BubbleQ on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:49 pm

YokaI wrote:As far as I see it, we were played right into valves hands. Essentially, we paid for content ahead of time when with most other companies they'd actually have to package the quick sequel with the content from the previous game. (Ala SSF4 or any expansion pack.) Now they raked 2 50 dollar games out of something that could have easily been 1 30 dollar game and a 30 dollar expansion, and not to mention the fact Xbox owners will probably have to pay for the additional content again... I'm pretty sure we were just played the fool...

Agreed, to me L4D2 was just a big big dizzy cloud who was floating over Valves office for some mounths before the realse. In their deep hearts, they wanted to sell the games after an structre you are talking about...

Yogurt.
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby vcool on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Yokai has a good point, and sourcemaps please take your console hate somewhere else. Either intentionally, or maybe they didn't see this coming, but either way Valve milked us all for money.

Still good news though, I do like the original survivors more.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Site News