Nightmare House 2 Released

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Nightmare House 2 Released

Postby Habboi on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:09 pm

I enjoyed it overall. I was also impressed with the effects you created.

I'll tell you something I actually felt sweat on me when I

Highlight to read:
went into that vent that loops like the room that gets smaller. As I kept turning back and saw the blood hand stains I literally closed my eyes and stood on edge in that dark room before falling into those lovely soldiers.

Overall it seems your hard work paid off. It had a lot of polish compared to a lot of shit mods out there.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Smurftyours on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:27 pm

Gradius wrote:this_is_not_an_easter_egg.bsp makes up for it though. makes up for it so hard.

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby goldendeed on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:06 pm

oh my god my favorite part is when

Highlight to read:
you fall down some vent and the single mannequin is looking at you, and then they all start following you around, and when the lights flicker there all looking at you, that was sooo epic
goldendeed
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Kremator on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Definitely has great production value, and its hard to find horror mods with that these days. Its too bad the scares didnt really get to me, probably because some of the more memorable set-pieces are snagged right off other games. (mannequins from condemned, bloody corridor from FEAR, etc.)

But hey, in the end its all pretty good, cliche fun :D

7/10
Kremator
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Armageddon on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Smurftyours wrote:
Gradius wrote:this_is_not_an_easter_egg.bsp makes up for it though. makes up for it so hard.

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

HOLY CRAP! That is the most awesome-est thing ever made! I feel all,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby TicTac on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:58 am

bekey wrote:Hahaha I liked it...Too bad it wasn't scary at all, very few levels with a real shock moment.

This. I'm a much bigger fan of psychological horror, not pop-up/shock horror. For me the mannequins and the shadow people were the only parts I shat brix at (for me, as I walked into the corridor with the shadow people my light flickered. freaked me the fuck out seeing them flash there, not sure if that was random or intended).
The mannequins just reminded me of the plaster splicers in Bioshock, which also made me shit brix :lol:

Hen, if you're going to make another horror mod my advice is this:
Don't build up a feeling of paranoia just to spoil it with a random "boo" moment. The mannequins had me on the edge of my seat, then a zombie spawned behind me and I was like "oh this again >.>". Same deal with the shadow people.
Another piece of advice, subtler can be better. If you get the player questioning themselves (did I see that? Was this like that before?) it can put them on-edge.
Competent Level Designer, 3D Artist.
I don't really look like my avatar
TicTac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 3Dnj on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:05 am

I just wanted to play 5 minutes on it yesterday for a try and finally I didn't stop until the end :D

I really like the FEAR atmosphere, you have a lot of good ideas in this mod. unfortunatly I don't find it really beautifull :?

But hell yeah, I'm a fan on horror game and I enjoyed been scared a lot of time :-D
3Dnj
Regular
Regular

Postby srredfire on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:16 am

Another Easter egg I just found.

Highlight to read:
In the last level, after choosing to go down the elevator to go kill Dr. Douchebag, you go into his lab and you see what seems to be him locking himself in the bathroom. Noclip into the bathroom, delete the door, ent_fire open it, whatever, either way, he's in the bathroom, and he dances around endlessly like a GOOFBALL.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Plague on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:29 am

I ran into an issue,
Highlight to read:
When making the run through the warehouse with all the creepy zombies. The part where you have to keep moving, the door that locks behind you closed in front of one of the soldiers.
I did not find this out till I got all the way to the end, and after 2 searches and an autosave I noclipped and found him stuck in the previous area.
I teleported him but it was quite obnoxious.

Besides that little bit, I found it quite a lot of fun.
Same kinda fun I had playing Fear, so gj!

I was not scared, but in the prologue I put a crate in the electrical panels you see in the basement.
It broke and I jumped.... I felt like such a retard for getting a jump out of the crate breaking sound....
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Preamp on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:51 am

kinda easter egg donno if i was posted before
Highlight to read:
if you noclip into dr. Romeos lab in any of the first hospital levels he'll ask you what the hell you are doing there and how you got in :P
Preamp
Regular
Regular

Postby srredfire on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:54 am

Preamp wrote:kinda easter egg donno if i was posted before
Highlight to read:
if you noclip into dr. Romeos lab in any of the first hospital levels he'll ask you what the hell you are doing there and how you got in :P

Elv02 wrote:
Guessmyname wrote:Hehe. Found one of the (many) Easter Eggs.

I prefer the easter egg:
Highlight to read:
Noclip into the guys lab part of the level(I did this in level 2 I think)... He'll wonder how you got there and tell you to get the hell out!
:lol:
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Preamp on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:01 am

my bad :) sorry for reposting
Preamp
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:05 pm

The only major issue I had was the penchant for flickering lights. It raped my eyes. Totally unnecessary to boot.

Every set piece was excellent, and every encounter epic.

Highlight to read:
The soldiers were an epic touch; expecting to be engaged by them on standard cliche, then working with them was such a good move. The fire sprint was also extremely well made; it ensured the player wasn't heavily hurt but also adrenalinised.

What made the soldiers much more interesting was also the comic moments, including the "did this guy's mother get killed by a light?" They were cheesy as hell, but lightened the mood and made you genuinely affectionate of them. On top of that, it also showed an attention to detail and humility you don't often get.

A gripe is the fact you don't realise the wood beams have to be hit with the axe. It's obvious and symbolic, but still took some time to figure out.

I have to congratulate your music guy as well. Tunes were pure win.

I genuinely enjoyed it.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gradius on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:16 pm

Oh did anyone go through their not expecting the manequins to move or turn into actual enemies or disappear or flip to the slightly organier version when they saw them?

Same for the soldier behind the class (although I was expecting him to get gibbed by some unforseen force more than being a hallucination.
Gradius
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Armageddon on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Highlight to read:
My favorite part was the dude behind the glass, because at first I was like, yeah that is one of the mannequins, then I was like no, it a real dude, then it kinda freaked me out.

Not really anything big in the story or scare, but... :roll:
Last edited by Armageddon on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

PreviousNext

Return to Site News