CS:GO Footage

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: CS:GO Footage

Postby Text_Fish on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:57 am

Really wish I could get my hands on this right now. Visually, I like it -- sure it doesn't look as realistic as your CoDs and your BF3's, but there is obvious artistry in the visuals, at least for the levels. Agree that in the video the weapons look and sound a bit lightweight, so hopefully they'll fix that during beta. What I'm most intrigued by is changes to the map layouts. I like what they've done to the CT Spawn bombsite in Dust.

So far, I'm pleased with what I've seen. I guess the last remaining bugbear will be price -- surely they can't justify charging for it as if it's a full new game? I'd hapilly pay about £10, but anything more and I'll feel a bit robbed.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Armageddon on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:15 am

CoD and BF3 look realistic...
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ScarT on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Top image is color corrected by the developers.

No color correction:

Not sure why draining the color out of everything is so popular in videogames right now. Oh, and text on the wall says "Freeman was here".
ScarT

Postby source-maps on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:25 pm

duuh everything is grey irl.. oh wait
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Ale on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:49 pm

I for one can't wait to play it. It will be the last chance to try and unify the 1.6 and css scenes.
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:41 pm

joe_dirt976 wrote:gettin kind of sick of the center of the screen= static crosshairs with source. Would like to see some iron sights by now.

Sorry but if Valve put iron sights in CS:GO I would never play it. Iron sites would ruin it completely. If you want iron sights in Source then go play Gmod. There's plenty of scripted weapons that use them.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Chrille on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:02 pm

That AK47 looks sexy
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Zecrah on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:20 pm

I agree with nub, have to say.
Major Banter wrote:Zecrah, you've come from nowhere yet have rapidly become a Hammer God.

Wtf.

Check out my weapons tutorial
Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Postby darkpivot on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:27 pm

I like not having iron sights, it's like Valve's signature. It makes it feel like a valve game.
darkpivot
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Text_Fish on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:38 pm

Totally. CS is a game rather than a simulator and I'd rather look at gameplay than lose 70% of the screen to a blurry gun just for the sake of realism.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Having an iron sight can also be part of gameplay (obviously?), rather than only for realism purposes..
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Text_Fish on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:15 pm

I'd say it's an immersion device more than a gameplay mechanic personally. Sure it effects gameplay somewhat by dint of the fact it changes your FOV, but I think that's incidental.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MayheM on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:53 pm

For the life of me I can not figure out why they do not get the mapping community to help with maps for this game. Releasing the same maps over and over with a new paint job is not what people want. Give us new places to explore! Granted it will not take long for people to start making maps for this, but for the love of all that is good NO MORE DUST!!!!
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SotaPoika on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:03 pm

MayheM wrote:For the life of me I can not figure out why they do not get the mapping community to help with maps for this game. Releasing the same maps over and over with a new paint job is not what people want. Give us new places to explore! Granted it will not take long for people to start making maps for this, but for the love of all that is good NO MORE DUST!!!!

YES DUST! I fucking love CS maps, all of them.. except de_tides and maybe some other maps too. Anyway, there could be more variations with the themes already in. Like, official 2nd versions of Office, Italy, Nuke, Vertigo, Backalley or Piranesi. So far only Dust has 2nd version (official one that is).
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Text_Fish on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm sorta hoping they'll encourage community mappers with competitions and the like. Seemed to work well for CoD, TF2 and HL2:DM. Always wondered why they didn't really do it for CS:S.

That said, it would be cool if Valve provided a few brand new maps, and not just lazy symetrical GG maps. Then again, the Valve maps for CS:S (port & the one with the big chimney?) were pretty rubbish.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to Site News