Gabe Newell Hacked My Computer

Chat about various topics.

Gabe Newell Hacked My Computer

Postby Minor_Threat on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm

This forum is for anyone who wishes to share any strange experiences they have had with Steam, or any product of the Valve corporation or any of their affiliates.

As is the way of the world of the multinational corporate world, many global industries are partisan to certain socio-political philosophies that govern the way with which they conduct their business, and to whom their products are intended for. The subtle rhetoric contained within the various creative outlets of any media production of this magnitude is usually biased and divisive. Many would agree that the online culture of Valve's games has taken on a personality of its own; with esoteric language being used for the purposes of conversation, and symbolic references to certain things, such as hats, cake, and chickens, used to make a stance to all those who understand such symbolism. This is all indicative of a privileged number of predominately white, socially-aspiring elitists, who prevent the masses from having a proportional representation of what is being propagated in a global media environment.

Personally, I have fallen victim to multiple hacking attacks from people with more than a moderate interest in my gaming activity, but more importantly anything I happen to create on the SDK editing software, and seems to have now graduated on to the Unreal SDK software. I used to back my files up with a pen drive that vanished and ideas I might have always seem to crop up on the Steam Workshop front page before I have a chance to complete them. The industry is rife with corporate bullying, and my ideas have been stolen from me by people like The Valve Corporation on multiple occasions. I am by no means a professional, but intellectual content is and always should be the right of the individual in possession of it to share or not as they please. I would get into the technological capabilities of the sort of people that exploit people like myself on a daily basis, but I feel that people may find it hard to believe.

Anyway, if ever you encounter a new game mode for CS or similar mod in the future, it might well be my idea, a big FU to Goose Gladwell and his loopy lawyers, and Bruce Willis with his vindicator.
Minor_Threat

Re: Gabe Newell Hacked My Computer

Postby Major Banter on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Good God man, what on Earth are you talking about? I've read articles by the Daily Mail that make more sense. Or you've been phished. Or you're paranoid.

Also, ever heard of the terms 'verbose' or 'jargon-filled'? This isn't clever writing, it's impenetrable, pain-in-the-arse stuff, and I can't read it without getting a headache.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:50 pm

U'm, yeah Banter I think I am with you on this one. I'm not sure what to make of this but I don't think Valve would hack somebody when they very well can just hire you or exploit your talent that way instead.

And if your stuff is ending up on Unreal somehow, either people are very good at not being very creative and are copying your stuff whole sale. Or you are being paranoid, or you are actually getting hacked which seems like more work for the other user then it is worth anyway.
Epifire

Postby Dives on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:07 pm

This reads like it was written by a paranoid schizophrenic.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby cpl. punishment on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Forgive my skepticism, but this seems like an awful lot of paranoia and speculation. Why would Valve or anyone else go through all the trouble of hacking your computer? For that matter, how would they know you're a font of incredible ideas in the first place? Do Valve, et al, monitor everyone who use SDK or UDK, on the off chance that they will produce something valuable enough to poach?

If you really feel you're being targeted, you should try to compile some evidence of foul play if you can. Another step could be to create a digital footprint the instant you create a new idea, that way you can at least point to that to show you had the idea first.
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:54 pm

I came up with the ENTIRE half-life trilogy 20 years ago, and Valve shamelessly nicked it.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:03 pm

TIL Minor_Threat hasn't heard of postmodernism
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Obvious troll is obvious.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Idolon on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 pm

I had an incredibly hard time deciphering this mess of a post, so here's a paraphrased version of it for anyone else who couldn't figure it out:

This thread is for anyone who has had any strange experiences with Steam, and/or any Valve-related products.

Many companies do whatever they can to please their fans. Valve's games have a tendency to create in-jokes/memes, which don't make sense to those not in on the joke.

I've been hacked multiple times, and they are interested in what I make for Source and Unreal. The pen drive that I backed my files disappeared, and my ideas appear on the Steam Workshop before I create them. I think that large companies (Valve) are stealing my ideas and using them without my permission, via advanced technology.

I hate Valve.

I'm not trying to offend the original poster or anything, but this was really hard to read.
Idolon

Postby Stormy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Minor_Threat wrote:As is the way of the world of the multinational corporate world, many global industries are partisan to certain socio-political philosophies that govern the way with which they conduct their business, and to whom their products are intended for.

If English isn't your first language you may want to avoid trying to use the more advanced features of it.

Also did you take your meds? This is textbook paranoia. Millions of people use steam. That's a big pool for ideas. It's not a strange concept for someone else to have the same idea as you. Happens all the time. I had a whole set thought up to make for Dark Seer DOTA2 and then one that was extremely similar rocked up on the workshop. I hadn't put anything to paper. VALVE IS IN MY BRAIN EVERYBODY LOBOTOMIZE YOURSELF.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Kosire on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby vcool on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Isn't this a pasta? I remember seeing something similar on SPUF like 5 years ago.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MayheM on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:54 pm

This is a cross between an rant about the Illuminati and the plot of the movie Antitrust...

But seriously, there are no original ideas these days. That said, If you come up with something which you think is original, then take steps to protect it from theft.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby WhiteDevil on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Dives wrote:This reads like it was written by a paranoid schizophrenic.

Yep, I know one and this is exactly what he would write if he ever stopped using his meds :P
WhiteDevil
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby SmileTime on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:02 am

Maybe those 25 people that got fired were getting all their work from Minor_Threat
SmileTime

Next

Return to General Discussion