RANT: Single-Player Modding

Chat about various topics.

RANT: Single-Player Modding

Postby Armageddon on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:56 am

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Also, this is only MY opinion.

First off, read this.

Okay to start this off "Don't bother with a story" WHAT! What do you think the point of single player mods are? It's story. A strong story, I believe, is key to making a good single player experience. It's what drives the player to know more and to get to the end. Now often times you don't need a HUGE story if it's an action mod. But it would still be nice to have something to give the player a point to why he is doing this.

"Let’s go back to the “YOU ARE HERE AND YOU MUST GET TO THERE AND KILL EVERYTHING IN YOUR WAY” kinda mods. In fact, I propose that the gaming community adopts that as a new sub-genre."

Sure, this would be fine if you are doing a mod like "Half-Life 2 Old School" but for the most part it's just not fun anymore, at least to me. Mods like Old School only work if it makes you feel like the biggest bad-*** in the world, like Duke Nukem, your goal was to save the world and be an awesome dude while doing it.

"Let's be honest, great lighting is easy – anybody can do it." :|

Most of you should know just as well as I do that great lighting is NOT easy. In fact, it's an art. And a massive skill you need to learn, it can affect the whole way a player views the world he is in. It affects moods, mentality, and movement. It's just a big part of everything.

"It's clear that creating dark levels automatcially creates scary or atmospheric situations."

No it doesn't make anything scary, it just frustrates the player, and makes him quit the mod. This can be seen in a resent mod called "1187". Also you spelled "automatically" wrong, unless you British people spell it in some strange way.

"Or if you don't like the sound of that, what not just opt for the heavy metal soundtrack. Nothing is better than walking around a futuristic setting than some crazy-ass weirdo screeming obscenities in your ear."

I don't have much to say about this, music is something that should fit, it really doesn't make or break anything for me, just don't use commercial music. It's a bad idea and more that likely people have heard it before. I prefer custom music. Also, you spelled "Screaming" wrong.

"Puzzles. There's nothing more fun than getting to a door and finding it's locked, with a message that reads something like “It's locked – you need a key” My God, if it was cool in 1999 you can be damn sure it's still cool now."

Puzzles should be original, 'nuff said.

"Hold your horses there pardner. If it works on your PC it will damn sure work on every other computer on the whole planet. Time wasted on beta testing could be better spent on making another huge box for the player to delight in.
Just drop that idea and get back to work."

No, just no, you MUST beta test, it really helps, you must asked for the tiny details, anything to make your mod that much better. It just gives a better experience and less frustration to the player.

"I have no hesitation in reminding you to go with the “All or nothing” philosophy of level design. There's absolutely nothing wrong with not giving the player any health to find. Geez, how crappy are some players? I know it's hard to believe but some people actually needed health to finish Half-Life 2 on HARD."

First off, that is not a rule. Second off, this is wrong, the player must have health to get though a level, AND you need to place them correctly, not just randomly here and there. You have to be smart about it, why is this here? Tell a story maybe, maybe someone died and dropped this stuff here.

That is all. Now I'm guessing this article he wrote was sarcastic, but I am taking it seriously like an idiot and writing my own ideas, most of which I'm sure you will NOT agree with. :D
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Re: RANT: Single-Player Modding

Postby Kremator on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:03 am

I believe he was being sarcastic lol - the title of the article was "How to make a boring mod"
Kremator
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby stoopdapoop on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:20 am

lol Arma, you scrub.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby no00dylan on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:20 am

Armageddon fail.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kkirspel on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:29 am

Armageddon... I'll let you save face on this one a little... nah, nevermind you deserve it :smt044
The inspiration as to why I'm here: Adam Foster; Minerva. Great job man.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Armageddon on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:41 am

Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Smurftyours on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:43 am

Armageddon wrote:I am... an idiot

Yeah, I got that much.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Mighty Monk on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:24 am

Armageddon wrote:Also you spelled "automatically" wrong, unless you British people spell it in some strange way.

What do you mean you people?

:smt018
Mighty Monk
Regular
Regular

Postby Plague on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:39 am

What do you mean, "you people?"
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Vilham on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:42 am

lol arma wtf.
Designer - Frontier Developments
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby planetphillip on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:25 am

Just in case there is any lingering doubt, yes I was being sarcastic.
http://www.planetphillip.com
Finishing Half-Life is just the beginning!
Single Player First Person Shooter Maps and Mods for ALL Half-Life games
planetphillip
Regular
Regular

Postby Armageddon on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:20 pm

planetphillip wrote:Just in case there is any lingering doubt, yes I was being sarcastic.

I know. :-D I was just bored.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:15 pm

arma messaged me on steam with a link to phillip's article and raged at me for a while about it, just before he posted this
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Or if you don’t like the sound of that, what not just opt for the heavy metal soundtrack. Nothing is better than walking around a futuristic setting than some crazy-ass weirdo screeming obscenities in your ear.

I dislike this man for his generalizations. D:

That article was way too sarcastic. You know what to expect with every different topic he covers. It's just him constantly, jokingly agreeing with everything that you shouldn't do when making a mod. I guess he gets his point across but he could have really made it awesome and funny.
Last edited by nub on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:35 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:arma messaged me on steam with a link to phillip's article and raged at me for a while about it, just before he posted this

To you? I thought it was in the interlopers chat. :?
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to General Discussion