If you have more than one screen...

Chat about various topics.

Re: If you have more than one screen...

Postby Gary on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Added the printscreen to my first post in this topic.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby xoqolatl on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:19 am

Thanks Gary! that's very useful info about messing with DP crap - shows where ATI can improve to gain more adoption among regular users.

Meanwhile I'm testing 3x Radeons HD 6970 with 3 ASUS 1920x1080 IPS monitors in portrait mode for a total desktop resolution of 3240 x 1920 px. A screenshot to drool over:
FULL SIZE (open in new tab and view in natural size!)

I did some Photoshop work on the test machine yesterday, and I have to say it kicks ass... 24" feels so small now, I have to zoom and scroll half of the time instead of working.

Pics and more screenshots incoming, and if anyone has anything at all to add to the topic, please do.
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Ale on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:18 pm

I would but my 22" died on me a year ago. Haven't had the funeral yet /sadface
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Joseph T on Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:13 pm

I don't have the desk space at home, but I do have two monitors at work.

Both Monitors:
Two standard Dell monitors, 1280 x 1024

Both of the monitors are provided standard for programmers in my office. They were running off of our local boxes, but we've just moved to thin clients, which has been interesting. In general it works exactly the same, but sometimes there are a few issues. Single point of failure, after all.

Having two monitors is a real boost for my productivity. Being able to have the web app I'm working on open on one monitor while my IDE open on the other is ridiculously useful. I can step through the code and watch what the app is doing without having to switch back and forth. I can spread out the IDE so I have more of the controls the most available at a single click and not buried under menu options. I make the code panel full screen. I have to admit, I really do miss having it while I'm working at home. Should probably fix that.
Joseph T
Regular
Regular

Postby Mr. Happy on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:10 pm

I am not a professional but thought I would add my thoughts here for you anyway:

- tell me why did you decide to buy another monitor
To have two monitors so I could do two things at once (watch tv/hammer, or softimage/photoshop)

- tell me did you have any problems setting up, if yes, what?
color calibration. I have two different models (both samsung) and they display colors differently. light meters are expensive and simply fiddling with the on screen controls doesn't work very well.(if anyone has a solution please help)

- tell me if your workflow has improved and do you think it was worth it
my modeling & texturing workflow improved drastically as I can alt tab more quickly and better understand the 3d<->u/v space relationship, but my level design work flow decreased drastically (since when mapping netflix or websites often end up on the right monitor). but yes it was worth it

and the most important part:
- SHOW SCREENSHOTS of your workspace!
Fullsize: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9300049/mh_dualmon.jpg
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Ark11 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:21 pm

I have duel monitors, I rarely use the second one though only for references like VDC or chatrooms.
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby xoqolatl on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Many thanks to everyone who helped. The article is now online: http://pclab.pl/art34641.html - it's in polish, here's a google translated version. It's terrible but at least you'll get the idea.
Your screenshots are on page 4 :)
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gary on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Halo 2 Xbox modder, betatester Obsidian Conflict

I'm a retired Halo2 Xbox modder lol.

Anyways, glad I could help.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Surfa on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Gary wrote:
Halo 2 Xbox modder, betatester Obsidian Conflict

I'm a retired Halo2 Xbox modder lol.

Anyways, glad I could help.

Aww halo modding those were the days
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby marks on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:01 am

marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Vilham on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:38 am

xoqolatl wrote:If you have more than one screen it's your unique opportunity to help me! I'm preparing an article dealing with professional use of 2+ monitors and many GPUs.

If you have 2 or more monitors and use them for any kind of productivity, please:
- tell me why did you decide to buy another monitor
- tell me did you have any problems setting up, if yes, what?
- tell me if your workflow has improved and do you think it was worth it
and the most important part:
- SHOW SCREENSHOTS of your workspace!
Not screenshots of your scantily clad woman wallpaper, but how things look when you work. For example, Photoshop on two screens with tools on one screen and the image on another, or Unreal Editor here and Content Browser there...
(I'm not counting on it, but if you happen to have 3 24" monitors with 1920x1200 resolution I will pay for every screenshot it's weight in gold)

Any help or opinions will be appreciated!

Edit: Herp-a-Derp didnt realise you had finished :D

At work:

I asked for a second monitor because having docs, email, bug tracking etc on one screen and the editor on another speeds up my workflow considerably. No screens NDA etc etc.

At home:

I recently bought a second monitor because of my work flow at work. Being able to have things like kismet/flowgraph on one screen and the main editor on the other is great. The monitors have DVI-D male sockets for some reason and my GPU has 1 DVI-I and 1 DVI-D socket, meaning getting the right cables was a bit annoying. No screens atm as im at work.
Designer - Frontier Developments
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby marks on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Vilham wrote:No screens NDA etc etc.

Man up! Just blur the sensitive stuff out.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby xoqolatl on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 pm

I've finished gathering info for the article but if anyone wants to share please do - it might be valuable for people thinking of getting a multi monitor setup.
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby BaRRaKID on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:36 am

Mr. Happy wrote:color calibration. I have two different models (both samsung) and they display colors differently. light meters are expensive and simply fiddling with the on screen controls doesn't work very well.(if anyone has a solution please help)

I'm not sure if that's your problem, but with Samsung it's best to never install the monitor drivers (if Windows prompts you to install them just cancel) because they tend to screw Windows color profiles. By not installing the drivers, Windows will use the default color profiles, you will have less bloatware on your computer, and you will still be able to change resolutions and refresh rates.
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr. Happy on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks barra, ya know I recently reinstalled windows and hadn't gotten around to installing the monitor drivers so now I won't! I've managed to get them close with the windows calibration, not perfect, but close. Thanks!
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Previous

Return to General Discussion