Physics broken in map

Chat about various topics.

Physics broken in map

Postby pk_hunter on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:10 pm

So I was making a map of the Large Hadron Collider, and for some reason when I was testing it recently I discovered that some of the particles it was firing (specifically Neutrinos) were actually travelling faster than light.
Now, obviously according to all known physics this is impossible, so I assume it's a bug somewhere.

Can anyone help me with this? Here's a better description of the problem.

If it's not a bug, it means that Einstein's physics model is going to be utterly turned on its head.
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Re: Physics broken in map

Postby Dives on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:16 pm

A still more glorious dawn awaits. Not a sun-rise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with four-hundred billion suns. The rising of the Milky Way.

I seriously hope this isn't a false alarm.
Last edited by Dives on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby The Giblets of Jesus on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Quite an interesting story, currently my thoughts linger on the original theory of relativity needing to be slightly modified to accept newer scientific discoveries, but of course it could just be an error.

...That or somebody observed it in a strange way and we're in one of those universes that have strange impossible anomalies.
The Giblets of Jesus
Regular
Regular

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm

No theories have to be rewritten. The existence of tachions has been long theorized.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby pk_hunter on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:46 pm

"we're in one of those universes that have strange impossible anomalies."
We are. Quantum particles are fairly widely accepted.
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Jangalomph on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:46 pm

"And of course the consequences can be very serious."

What would the consequences even be of this article? What in this article describes a serious issue? :P
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby pk_hunter on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Einstein theorised that the speed of light is the absolute peak speed anything in our universe can reach. Pretty much all modern physics is based on his theory of relativity. This throws it into question. It's really exciting imo.

Also, I absolutely love the quote from Dr Ereditato in that article.
"we are not claiming things, we want just to be helped by the community in understanding our crazy result - because it is crazy".

I just really wish more of the world had as open-minded an outlook.
Did they immediately believe they were correct? No. They repeated the experiment and pondered over the data for months. Still finding no flaws, they have now published ALL their data and allowed the entire world to scrutinize it because they want to be absolutely sure. They WANT to be proven wrong. This is how the world has to work - confirmation is required on a mass scale before you can start accepting crazy theories.
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby The Giblets of Jesus on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:28 pm

It mentions in various sources that the Tachyon particle has just about no mass and so doesn't fall under the same restrictions as other bits of matter (No mass, no infinite mass, nothing slower it down beyond light speed) but how can something not have any mass?

Unless it exists like a photon, which still has a mass, in a higher dimension.
The Giblets of Jesus
Regular
Regular

Postby zombie@computer on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:16 pm

I don't understand why everone is all like "cool, if thats true we can travel back in time and shit".

Hello! There isn't a SINGLE law of physics that disables us from traveling back in time. In all current physics equations you can easily insert negative time values and get a valid result. It doesn't mean we CAN travel back in time, but there are no known laws stopping us. Then again, some people believe that if the earth would rotate backwards time would run backwards as well..

Also, Einsteins' law is based on the fact that no particle can accelerate to a speed faster than light, NOT that nothing can go faster than light. Even Einstein acknowledged the existence of tachyons as a possibility. What would be interesting is, how can a particle go faster than light if it cannot accelerate to a speed faster than light? Obviously it wasn't always going that fast in this experiment.

I'm interested to see how we look back at this in 50 years.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Shirik on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:32 pm

Any screenshoots?
Shirik
Regular
Regular

Postby source-maps on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:00 pm

pk_hunter wrote:Einstein theorised that the speed of light is the absolute peak speed anything in our universe can reach. Pretty much all modern physics is based on his theory of relativity. This throws it into question. It's really exciting imo.

Also, I absolutely love the quote from Dr Ereditato in that article.
"we are not claiming things, we want just to be helped by the community in understanding our crazy result - because it is crazy".

I just really wish more of the world had as open-minded an outlook.
Did they immediately believe they were correct? No. They repeated the experiment and pondered over the data for months. Still finding no flaws, they have now published ALL their data and allowed the entire world to scrutinize it because they want to be absolutely sure. They WANT to be proven wrong. This is how the world has to work - confirmation is required on a mass scale before you can start accepting crazy theories.

this is what I love about science, so much still to learn.. so many unanswered question.. would be a waste to delude my mind with ancient myths and not to try to find some real answers

zombie@computer wrote:I don't understand why everone is all like "cool, if thats true we can travel back in time and shit".

Hello! There isn't a SINGLE law of physics that disables us from traveling back in time. In all current physics equations you can easily insert negative time values and get a valid result. It doesn't mean we CAN travel back in time, but there are no known laws stopping us. Then again, some people believe that if the earth would rotate backwards time would run backwards as well..

Also, Einsteins' law is based on the fact that no particle can accelerate to a speed faster than light, NOT that nothing can go faster than light. Even Einstein acknowledged the existence of tachyons as a possibility. What would be interesting is, how can a particle go faster than light if it cannot accelerate to a speed faster than light? Obviously it wasn't always going that fast in this experiment.

I'm interested to see how we look back at this in 50 years.

yeah I thought it was funny when I saw 'teletext' and it said that this discovery made time travel theoretical possible..
I was like.. theoretical it was already possible noobies
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to General Discussion