Prefrabs + help

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

Prefrabs + help

Postby Aequitas on Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:58 pm

:roll: can i ask is there any one who knows how 2 get all the models from the cs:s maps into your map >? i.e barrels, boxes, chairs, computers, the works

would any one like to look at my map im makeing and let me know where i can make it better ?> kanethe1st@hotmail.com any help is apreciated thx :D
Aequitas
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby Cr4ig on Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:06 am

http://www.imageshack.us <--- host some pics there m8 and post in the forum plz.
Cr4ig

Postby BaRRaKID on Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:13 am

that's wath the "under construction" section is there for.. just post there images and info about your map and will give you tips on how to make it better ^^
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Signy on Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:21 pm

If want "prop" type models in your map to add a bit of atmoshphere then its done by using entites. The specific group of entities you want to use are the "prop" groups, and for just simple ones that are used just for decoration use these ones in particular:

------------------------------------------------------

prop_detail

Detail geometry - static models that do not move. Do not contain any physics properties or collision data. Cannot break. Do not cast shadows. Can be automatically placed by assigning a detail type to a material. Generally not placed individually by level designers. The least expensive geometry to render.
Examples: Grass, rocks, plants.

prop_static

Static geometry - models that do not move. Does not contain physics properties other than collision, and cannot break. Casts lightmap shadows. Inexpensive geometry to render.
Examples: pipes, light fixtures, rocks, telephone poles.

prop_physics

Models with built-in physical properties. Moves and collides using the rigid-body physics system. Can be constrained to other physics objects using hinges or other constraints. It can also be configured to break when it takes enough damage. Casts dynamics shadows. Expensive to move and render.
Examples: barrels, small debris, furniture.

prop_ragdoll

Physics props with ragdoll physics skeletons. Have all the properties of physics props and can also use the rigid body ragdoll physics system to have multiple colliding or bending parts. Very expensive to move and render.
Examples: Corpses, multi-piece cardboard boxes, mattresses.

prop_dynamic

Models that can be placed in hierarchy and can play animations. Can also be configured to break when taking enough damage. Can be moved by parenting to other objects. Can cast dynamic shadows. More expensive than static geometry, less expensive than physics geometry.
Examples: Robotic arms, machinery, models animated in cut scenes.

prop_physics_multiplayer

Physics props using a simplified physics collision system designed for multiplayer games. Have less networking overhead than standard physics props, necessary for the bandwidth-limited environment of multiplayer games.

prop_physics_override

Special prop type used to override the properties built into the model. Has identical cost of a prop_physics.

prop_dynamic_override

Special prop type used to convert a model that is designed to be used as a prop_static, and giving it the properties of a prop_dynamic. Has identical cost of a prop_dynamic.

--------------------------------------------------------------

All this information can be found in the official sdk documentation.

Signy
Signy
Pheropod
Pheropod

Return to Hammer Editor Help