Jack Thompson, again...

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: Jack Thompson, again...

Postby MáØ on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:56 pm

stoopdapoop wrote:(or maybe it was? Mao, how did the violence make you feel?)=

It was "unsettling" at first a little simply because of the difference of you causing the action rather then watching it in a movie. But I was watching scary movies before I started watching barney so I'm not the best test case >.>

Yes bekey I am, so do a LOT more people then most people think. About 20-30% of the MMO player base bots/hacks/exploits on a regular basis.
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Phott on Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:12 pm

MáØ wrote:Yes bekey I am, so do a LOT more people then most people think. About 20-30% of the MMO player base bots/hacks/exploits on a regular basis.

Lame.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vcool on Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:19 pm

The more the title appears on the news, the more copies will be sold. Stores are businesses, primary objective of any business = make profit, so what can we conclude? No stores will willingly NOT sell the game since they know they'll get even more money with all this publicity.

The fact that's it's sold to minors is a whole different argument as opposed to Thompson's primary one which is the fact that you can play as Taliban. And that's just bullshit, and I think Thompson knows it well, else why bring up a supporting argument which is actually valid? And by valid I don't necessarily agree with it, it's just that the old men at the debating table will take selling games to minors an offence.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ErikKiller on Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:30 pm

First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:14 pm

I do believe this is appropriate...

Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Text_Fish on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:08 pm

Top five reasons kids shouldn't play violent video games:

1) They should be climbing trees and building marble-mazes out of lego while they still can.
2) Any kid who needs to pretend to kill things in order to relieve stress clearly has other problems in their life which should be dealt with in a more direct and sociable fashion.
3) And kid who needs to pretend to kill things in order to relieve stress is clearly linking violence with real life, so arguing that "it's okay because they don't understand" is tosh.
4) People under the age of at least 13 are annoying as fuck when they're let loose on voice chat.
5) Kids minds are not properly developed. They learn from what they see. I'm not saying they're going to copy violent video games verbatim, but they will have certain associations ingrained in their subconscious by whatever they do or see around them. For that same reason, I personally think it should be illegal to take kids to church (or any religious ceremony etc.) until they're old enough to make a conscious decision.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Plague on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Text_Fish wrote:2) Any kid who needs to pretend to kill things in order to relieve stress clearly has other problems in their life which should be dealt with in a more direct and sociable fashion.
3) And kid who needs to pretend to kill things in order to relieve stress is clearly linking violence with real life, so arguing that "it's okay because they don't understand" is tosh.

So I'm crazy? Wow... Thought it would be a little more... idk... crazy like?
¬_¬
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Text_Fish on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:29 pm

Well, crazy people don't know they're crazy do they? :)
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Phott on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:57 am

Text_Fish wrote:Top five reasons kids shouldn't play violent video games:

1) They should be climbing trees and building marble-mazes out of lego while they still can.
2) Any kid who needs to pretend to kill things in order to relieve stress clearly has other problems in their life which should be dealt with in a more direct and sociable fashion.
4) People under the age of at least 13 are annoying as fuck when they're let loose on voice chat.
5) Kids minds are not properly developed. They learn from what they see. I'm not saying they're going to copy violent video games verbatim, but they will have certain associations ingrained in their subconscious by whatever they do or see around them. For that same reason, I personally think it should be illegal to take kids to church (or any religious ceremony etc.) until they're old enough to make a conscious decision.

Bullshit, you can relieve stress in many different ways, video games are just another method.

A kid shouldn't have to do anything as you put it (climbing in trees and shit), they do whatever they think is fun. Another point, not all violent games are online, but I very much agree to that point.

And the last point is also absolute bullshit.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Plague on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:05 am

It should be noted,
Often its the "game" itself that is the stress reliever, not necessarily the killing of people.

People like that grow up killing animals....
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:06 am

Plague wrote:It should be noted,
Often its the "game" itself that is the stress reliever, not necessarily the killing of people.

People like that grow up killing animals....

Very true, just putting your mind on something else. As I said, you can do a lot of stuff to relieve stress, some people just enjoy video games.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:08 am

Wait, do you play as the Taliban in SP? Like your goal is to kill US Soldiers?

From what I have heard, Taliban is just an appearance you can choose from in Multiplayer, if this is true, they why even bother mentioning it... you can play as terrorists in Counter-Strike...

"He also told Gates that he would be justified in imposing a ban because the high level of realism makes it an effective training tool for the Taliban and other forces currently engaged with the U.S. military."

A training simulation for real Taliban? That's really lame, you can play any realistic shooter and learn from that, hell, they could use America's Army game, it doesn't madder what your player model is...
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Plague on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:12 am

When I played it does change the style of play.
Each side gets weapons that reflect their side.

US troops get real weapons that are issued in the military.
Taliban get the usual Russian/whatever weapons selection.

I've also heard you get IEDs in the game as Taliban.

But I barely noticed at Comic-Con, I only did because I was looking around for as much stuff as I could at the demo.
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:40 am

Yeah they have IED's, but really I don't see the problem. It's so hypocritical, you can play Americans with their real weapons but not something that's a little based on talibans.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Plague on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:44 am

Thats all this is about, Its really just names.

MW2, lets fight generic Terrorists/Russians/Gangs....

MoH throws in the extra realism... and bam...
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming Chat