HL2 ester egg - the man with the answers

Game discussion and other related chat.

HL2 ester egg - the man with the answers

Postby BaRRaKID on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:11 am

well since i have not played the game i don't know if this is obvious for the player and if every1 noticed it, but here is your easter heg:

All-Knowing Vorginaut
While riding the water ski in the Canal levels, you come to a point where you fight a Combine Gunship before you can progress. After you destroy the gunship, look around that area and you will find two sewer tunnels, one of them has a grate which is ajar and you can slip through.

Sprint through the radioactive waste and exit through the hole in the tunnel to find a vorginaut with a sore throat. Talk to him many times to hear all he has to say.

source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/code/36599.html

you may wan't to use the map comand to acess this area faster
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jasard on Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:14 pm

yep i saw that, hes cooking a head crab :p i only found it coz i was lost :oops:
Jasard
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Cr4ig on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:40 pm

lol :)
Cr4ig

Postby AcX on Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:31 pm

Yeah, same. I thought it was the way onwards, but it was just a lil extra work from Valve 8) Hardcore
AcX
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby [FuzionMonkey] on Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:21 am

what does the vortigant say? what map is it? (ie console >> map xxxx.bsp
[FuzionMonkey]
Regular
Regular

Postby 9f1062f623f9 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:23 am

"That sharp spur of hope has not dulled to this day. For once the lesser master lay defeated, we knew the greater must also fall in time"
"Your bright face obscurs your darker mask"
"Could you but see the eyes inside your own, the minds in your mind, you would see how much we share"
"How many are there in you? Whos hopes and dreams do you encompass?"
"We are you, Freeman. And you are us"
"We never dreamed to meet you in corporeal form"
"There is more to the Free man than meets the eye"
"We call you sib, although your mind and meaning are a mystery to us"
"Far distance eyes look out through yours"
"Something secret steers us both. We shall not name it"
"We will put aside Black Mesa, for now"
"Your mind is opaque"
"We are a tapestry wovened of vortessence, it is the same for you if only you would see it"
"There is no distance between us. No false veils of space or time can intervene"
"We serve the same mystery"
"Our purpose is mutual"
"There is no distance between us"
"While our own lay scatter at your feet, you severed the vortal cord that bound the Nihilanth to life, and to us"
"We see you still in Black Mesa, clearly we see you in the Nihilanth's chamber"
"We bare witness to the bright eternity of the Nihilanth's demise. You leap, you fall, we see you flash between the barriers"
"For a brief time you joined us. You are one. Between the worlds"
"Communion of the vortessence. And that other; a deeper mystery. No deeper than the void itself"
"We cannot forget those whos cords you cut. Forgiveness is not ours to bestow"
"Unity of purpose, the shattering of common shackles, a single road we tread"
"You have brought us grief and jubilation beyond mesaure"
"We are there still in observeance of your final stroke"
"With you besides us, a tailsman of victory, the day of freedom draws nigh"
"The way ahead is dark for the moment"
"What seems to you a sacrifice is merely to us an oscillation; we do not fear the interval of darkness"
"We remember the Freeman, we are coterminous"
Level Designer :: Natural Selection 2
Online Portfolio :: http://dux.interlopers.net

9f1062f623f9
Unknown Worlds

Postby BaRRaKID on Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:10 am

dam those are some very fked up answers.. come on now kids let's start decoding this xit :P if i could just understand half those words :roll:
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ancalagon on Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:15 pm

just seems like gordon is a higher being, moreso than any of the monsters, possibly a god, Since space and time or false.
possibly xen was of a different dimension...we are the same...flash between the barriers
maybe the combine can go through to each dimension conquering both "shattering of common shackles"
Ancalagon
Regular
Regular

Postby Athlete{UK} on Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:48 am

Thats nothing too special realy. Most of the vautagaunts say the same things. Infact the one that welds the gunship pulsecannon to your airboat says exactly the same things. Still the roasting of the head crab is quite nice.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BaRRaKID on Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:21 pm

okey so in my opinon:

1- it talks more or less about a prophessy in wich a even greatest "master" needs to be defeated, but it will no be in that day, wich mean not in HL2

2- seems like gordon as a darker side fo himself, wich we no nothing about

3- the vorginaut shares the same ogjective as gordon, wich is weird since gordon doesn't know wath is objective is.

4- gordon carries the hopes of all humans

5- litel word game with is name, in wich every1 should be a free man

6- this encreases the importance of gordon, is described almost as a god

7- can't explain a bit confusing

8- they know nothing about him, this also doesn't make any sense, since the vorginaut seems to knwo more about gordon, then gordon himself

9- gordon mission will affect many places, maybe talking about other demisions

10- that secret maybe the key for the HL story

11- black mesa was not very important to the story

12- another thing that doesn't fit in the other sentences, since the vorginaut, has a great knoledge of gordon. but maybe is trying to say that he should share is feelings more with other people

13- my english isn't good enough for this one ^^

14- also confusing, may be saying that him and gordon are the same person in diferent dimensions

15- once again the mystery or secret, maybe is talking about g-man, since gordon serves g-man, so this character may also serve him

16- they have the same objective

17- same as n. 14

18- don't understand either

19- another non sense, since he didn't wated to talk about balck mesa, but may be pointing that black mesa was a test to gordon and that they where observing him

20- gordon never gave up, that's wath i take from this

21- gordon is a important key between the "worlds"

22- the vortessence are turning in to one, but i doesn't says wath is the vortessence.

23- he says that is people canot forgive gordon, or gordon enemies, don't understand wich ones is talking about.

24- okey this one brings me back to n22, it seems like there are several worlds, wich are turning into just one, maybe there's a group trying to conquer all the worlds, wich can be the combine leaders

25- gordon made them happy, that's nice :)

26- gordon is still being tested i believe

27- the ending is coming? but it will be a dark ending

28- the corrent way to solve the problem, is not the best one, maybe is refering to the fact that gordon is working for the g-man, and g-man is a evil person

29- this creatures have non feelings

30- I think he is saying that they remeber the past

okey so this is my interpretation of this sentences, keeping in mind that i didn't played HL2 yet. they give some clues on wath the future(AKA HL3 probably) will bring. if any1 want's to especualte a bit more, feel free to do it ^^ if blink allows it that is :P
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:27 pm

Speculate away..
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Jest@ on Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:32 am

Any way the moderators could edit the title of this post to give a possible warning about spoilers?? Only i'm gonna mention the ending to half-life 2..... :)

my own interpretation, based partly on the kida stuff the vortegons say, a rushed game of HL1 a few years back, and having just played HL2...

1) GMan is some kind of representative of the higher authorities of the universe, some kind of governing interest (god, basically!) who have complete control over everything - including the time-space continuum (see HL2 ending). They are neither benevolent nor evil, just kinda interested.....

There are several groups of universes whose beings have knowledge of the multi-dimensional nature of the universe - one of them being the xen. They were let onto earth by the black mesa incident, but this also entailed gordon destroying the evil power (Nihilanth) that controlled them all in their own universe.

Gordon is no god, he's just mythicised by the xen and the resistamce cos of his (our :P ) heroic feats in HL1.

The fact that he achieved so much attracts the interests of the GMan's bosses (note all the stuff GMan says at the end of HL2) Thus, GMan 'hires' him (forces him!) to help the fight against the combine.

So what the fck's the combine? Well, an alliance between evil forces of some other dimension (not necesarrily the xen dimension) and the evil forces on earth - initially the us govt (hence the marines in HL1) but after their fall, the next powerful leader (Dr. whatshisface [is it Dr. Breen? can't quite remember] in HL2)

There's presumably a link between the evil otherdimension power that makes up part of the combine, and the Nihilanth in the xen dimension.

Much of what the vorgonauts say I think represents that they have simply venerated Gordon as a saviour, since he has freed them in their universe. The stuff about Black Mesa they say is related to the fact that Gordon killed plenty of them and their mates in Black Mesa, and they're kinda saying "we'll let you off for now".

Presumably their whole mythology about the vortessence is some kind of belief (not necessarily true, but possibly?) about a trans-dimentional force of good linking all the fighters of the good fight (i.e. the lightside of the force), helping them fight the darth-vaders of this transdimentional system

(sorry to use a star wars analogy, but pretty much anything can be reduced to star-wars force terms, can't it?!)

But - remember that there are some overseers over the whole of existence. who feel it pertinent to push matters in a certain direction at times - hence GMan's presence. For all we know, they kicked the whole thing off too - remember in HL1, the scientists at the start say that the experiment is being pushed forward at Breen's demand, because of black mesa's "benefactors"???? So Breen had some kind of contact before everything begun to either the darkside who are later in the Combine, or perhaps directly to GMan & co.

The reason I think that GMan's bosses and the combine bad side aren't the same - GMan can pop up whenever, wherever, and even warp time. Hence he's presumably more powerful (or represents people more powerful) that the Combine forces, since they rely on occasional, expensive, hard-to-achieve transdimensional transport (i.e. the whole dark fusion reactor thingy at the end of HL2, and the accidental portal at the start of HL1)

I don't think Gorgon's a god - he's just seen as one. It's all about Breen, Gordon, the vorgonauts etc being allies of the good and/or bad sides of transdimentional politics and warfare - all watched over by the GMan and his bosses.

HL2 has to be a significatly long time after HL1 - Gordon's been inactive, suspended in time (although it felt like 6 years to me :P ), then just pops back exactly where and when GMan wants him to. He's a pawn, not a god.

A lot of depth and potential in this reading......

...and if you think HL3'll solve anything, dream again!!!! Anyway, we'll probbly have to wait about 12 years for it.....

The whole point of the story construction in HL is that gordon nefver know's why he's doing what he's doing - he can only guess, and then a new piece of evidence'll appear to throw his guesses around. they'll never give us the answer, not directly.
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jest@ on Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:33 am

dunno why i stuck a 1) in there, i never put a 2) in :) :) :)
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby snufflez on Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:40 am

gordon freeman, take out the the ordon and free and viola, look what u have.
Dongs.
snufflez
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Ancalagon on Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:26 am

ooooooooo, touche
Ancalagon
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Gaming Chat