Windows 7 graphical errors after startup and during videos

PC related discussion and other issues.

Windows 7 graphical errors after startup and during videos

Postby Gary on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:50 pm

Well, I installed Windows 7, it is far better speed and feature wise, but I am having problems with my video card.

I use a Sapphire ATI 5770 1GB and I have tired multiple drivers including the latest ones. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling different drivers, nothing seems to make a difference.

First error:

A few seconds or less after log-in, the screen goes to a super-low resolution like 480 or something with 256 colors. I can easily change the res to 1050 and the color thing fixes it's self. This happens every single time I log for the first time. I never had this problem when I ran XP.

Second error(worst one):

Sometimes, when watching videos on Youtube, the screen will go all crazy for a second(static or lines) and will then go into a BSOD. This only happens sometimes, like 1 in 10 chance. I had this problem at first with XP, but after a while of messing around with drivers, I fixed it.

I would greatly appreciate if my fellow Lopers' could help me with this.

Thanks in advance.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Re: Windows 7 graphical errors after startup and during vide

Postby RefaelBA on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:02 am

It's not Windows, it's the card. Welcome to the club. Google for "5770 grey lines" or "5770 vertical lines" and you'll see what I mean.

I don't think there's a fix either. I hate to say this, really, but I don't think there's a lot you can do except getting rid of the cursed adapter... If you somehow find a solution to this problem, I'd like to know what you've done, there are a lot of people who have this issue.
RefaelBA

Postby Gary on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:39 am

I think it works it's self out after a while, I no longer have problems, no crashes recently. And last time I restarted, no messed up graphics.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby RefaelBA on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm glad it worked out my friend. I hope it stays okay. Try running some stress tests too...
RefaelBA

Postby Gary on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:31 pm

I run stress tests daily, Crysis or I push some other game over it's intended limits. I also plan on getting Metro 2023.

Though, stress never caused any problems for me. Only 2D Youtube videos ever did and I haven't had one of those crash anything for a while now, so I am thinking that I am in the clear.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Return to Hardware & Software