Psychiatry vs Pharmaceutical

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

What is the best way to treat psychological disorders?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:24 pm

Medication
5%
Psychiatry
48%
Both
48%

Total votes : 21

Postby Sorrow on Sun May 28, 2006 11:14 am

ok well I'm full of nonsense

what I mean to say is... erhh

that ofcourse the pharmaceutical companies want to make money, and ofcourse medication is a load of crap, you should see the stuff my mother takes against depression I'd say it only makes it worse
Sorrow
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Spartan on Sun May 28, 2006 12:17 pm

Sorrow wrote:that ofcourse the pharmaceutical companies want to make money, and ofcourse medication is a load of crap, you should see the stuff my mother takes against depression I'd say it only makes it worse

Of course they are in it to make money. You think they do it because they are just really nice and want to make people feel better. As for your mom's depression what exactly is she taking. I don't mean this to be intrusive and if you don't want to answer that's fine, but just because someone takes an anti-depressent doesn't mean they are going to start being happy all the time.

P.S. Yes I know I'm not a doctor but I do know a little bit about this sorta stuff. I'm trying not to sound like a "know it all" asshat here.
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sorrow on Sun May 28, 2006 5:05 pm

well I only know the name of one of the pill things, it's called Nortrilen I believe... stuff's bad for your digestive system though

she may be taking more but that's all I know of... there are at least a hundred different pill things her kitchen
Sorrow
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dragonfliet on Sun May 28, 2006 6:12 pm

Medication is extremely effective for some people.

Yes, pharaceudical companies are in it for the money: so is every other business. Their job is to help people, and they want to make money doing so. Does that make pharmacy bad?

As for whoever the idiot that suggested that animals don't get cancer, have heart attacks, dimensia, etc.; that's categorically false. Animals suffer from these as well. The main difference? We don't care. Well, some people do, but if my cat got cancer? I'd put it out of it's misery, not send it to chemo (though some people do get chemo, etc. for their animals) Also, animals DO medicate. They find herbs with medicinal values and use them. We're a bit smarter and can actually manufacture more effective medicines. Yay for higher brain functions.

I think that many are waaaay to eager to prescribe medicine, and that simply psychology (psychiatrists prescribe, psychologists talk) can be very effective in many cases. However, you can't talk away chemical imbalances. Some people like to believe they're above such things, or that they can talk themselves out of anything, but the fact of the matter is, they just haven't had to suffer from it-it doesn't discount those who have. I've known people that have gone to psychologists and improved, I've known people that did that + medication and the medication was the biggest factor and I've know peopel that neither did anything for. The reason? Not everything is for everyone.

Isn't it pretty proven by now that medicine is good? It's only because idiots like those that troll this board have gotten so used to a healthy society that's able to focus on the smaller things (depression, etc.) that were ignored before that there's this surgef technology=bad. "my mom took antidepressants and it didn't help" does mean squat. Perhaps she doesn't have a chemical imbalance (that's what they fix) but the psych isn't up to his game, or perhaps it's the wrong medication, or perhaps it's the wrong dose, etc. It would be nice if this was perfectly easy, but it's not. Don't mistake medicine not being able to help a single case (or even a hungdred cases) as a failure of medicine, because it helps countless millions.

~Jason
dragonfliet
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Spartan on Sun May 28, 2006 7:55 pm

dragonfliet wrote:Medication is extremely effective for some people.

Yes, pharaceudical companies are in it for the money: so is every other business. Their job is to help people, and they want to make money doing so. Does that make pharmacy bad?

Of course not. I just don't want anyone to fall for the illusion that they are all about good will. Unfortunatly though the process of making money can and does interfere with the process of advancement. They could have a cure for HIV but they'd make more money from something that only helps to relieve the suffering rather than completely obliterate the disease. Now I'm not saying they have a cure for HIV or anything but you get what I'm saying.
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dragonfliet on Mon May 29, 2006 12:51 am

Spartan wrote:
dragonfliet wrote:Medication is extremely effective for some people.

Of course not. I just don't want anyone to fall for the illusion that they are all about good will. Unfortunatly though the process of making money can and does interfere with the process of advancement. They could have a cure for HIV but they'd make more money from something that only helps to relieve the suffering rather than completely obliterate the disease. Now I'm not saying they have a cure for HIV or anything but you get what I'm saying.

Bad argument. If they found a cure, they would charge out the ass for it and they would make a KILLING. There are no laws making them charge modest rates, so you would see the cost of an aids cure being astronomical. another arugment please
dragonfliet
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Mon May 29, 2006 8:17 am

the problem with finding a cure for aids is that its
a) damn near impossible
b) too expensive for the average pharmaceutical company to research
and then i arent even talking about actually finding something that does what its supposed to in the first place

aidsdrugs arent researched at full scale simply because no company has the money for it. Its not like they refuse to do research because they cant make money of it it if works
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Meotwister on Mon May 29, 2006 8:14 pm

I personally am an advocate of using them both. They each have their pros and cons. But sometimes I think people jump the gun when it comes to giving medicine, people just wanna throw pills at their problems and get on with life. My girlfriends dad is an alcoholic and there was an episode over at her house and she was a little shaken up after it (she's fine now) but she went to see a psychiatrist for a few weeks. Almost the first time she went in the doctor wanted to give her some drugs. This act made my girlfriend feel even worse because she felt to herself that if I'm getting offered drugs I must be crazy. So in that case drugs can be a hinderance to the recovery process.

I'm in the same boat as well with sorrow because my mom has depression as well along with something called fibromyalgia, this mysterious disease associated with depression that makes you have inexplicable pains all over. My mom has been on so many medications since she was like 20 that I can't even begin to tell you them all. Some may have worked a little bit but then they made her gain weight (thats a shit trade-off to begin with). Now the doctors don't know what the hell is going on with her so she uses these pain patch medications now. The thing is my mom is so used to medications I really dont think she could ever get off of them.

These are just specific instances, but I think that medication combined with psychology can be extremely effective. Out of all the different ways you can go about psychology I think I like Behavioral the most, but in this case it's a specific situation scenario.

btw that guy who said animals don't have cancer, etc. Along with what others have said, also humans are the only species to have insomnia, thats because of our higher level brain functions and the stress we put on ourselves. Animals don't get stressed out like humans do.
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby InternalRage on Mon May 29, 2006 8:18 pm

Hyp-R wrote:I'm not one for medication,
I don't take pills,
At all.

And yet, you are Hyp-R :lol:

Again, if it was me i'd fix what I could through mental fixing, then pills. I find pills dangerous.
Damn ProZak is... sexy!
InternalRage
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby ColinDoody on Tue May 30, 2006 8:04 am

zombie@computer wrote:I fail to see whats to discuss about, most people on this forum are too unknowing

If Tom Cruise feels he knows enough to publically denounce any use of psychiatry or medication based on his religion that believes in little spirts that float around in your body, than anyone on this god damn forum is knowledged enough to discuss it.

I think this is a particularly relevant topic, and good to get opinions on. It can be highly divided, sometimes by educated people, sometimes by people who have never taken medication and just denounce it without understanding, and sometimes its overly supported by hypochondriacs who are always looking for the newest fix to whatever they have . Scientology has been stirring up this issue lately as well.

Personally, Im for medication and psyciatry. The argument of Scientology, in my opinion, is so not only worthless but harmful that I DONT believe they should be allowed to even present that opinion . But I am not one to revoke constitutional rights ...

The reason I am for medication is that I do strongly believe people have issues . I dont believe that everyone can be "talked" out of their issues. Medications arent great by any means- they can be very personality altering and can lead to adverse affects. At the same time, I would need to believe that for the most part they are better than the original condition. Maybe stricter perscription policies need to be enforced, but I dont know enough about it to judge

So my vote goes to both.
Vicious Specs: eVGA geForce 6800GT 2.8ghz p4, 1gb ddr, 22" NEC, Audigy 2 Plat, 860GB
ColinDoody
Regular
Regular

Postby ColinDoody on Tue May 30, 2006 8:08 am

Oh, and Im presently working for Merck / Banyu in Tokyo, Japan; a large pharmeceutical company. Sure, pharmeceutical companies are in it for the money. But that doesnt make them evil. Doctors are in it for the money too; does that mean when one tells you you need surgery you stray away from him? What people are trying to do here is generally honest. If they didnt market , however , they would be unable to stay afloat.

Lets just remember that the only evil organizations/moneygrubbers are lawyers ...
Vicious Specs: eVGA geForce 6800GT 2.8ghz p4, 1gb ddr, 22" NEC, Audigy 2 Plat, 860GB
ColinDoody
Regular
Regular

Postby zombie@computer on Tue May 30, 2006 12:42 pm

ColinDoody wrote:
zombie@computer wrote:I fail to see whats to discuss about, most people on this forum are too unknowing

If Tom Cruise feels he knows enough to publically denounce any use of psychiatry or medication based on his religion that believes in little spirts that float around in your body, than anyone on this god damn forum is knowledged enough to discuss it.
I dont see you discussing with him :D
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Spartan on Tue May 30, 2006 12:59 pm

Whoa now, lets not go into any of that scientology crap. This discussion has nothing to do with that hack religion. I say this because it is a hack, and trust me when I say that I'm not the kind of person to go about denouncing other religions because of personal opinion.

Back on topic.
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Serious Discussion