Researchers Predict Another Ice Age

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Researchers Predict Another Ice Age

Postby The Wanderer on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:36 pm

A well worth to read article from http://www.dailytech.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solar Activity Diminishes; Researchers Predict Another Ice Age

Global Cooling comes back in a big way

Dr. Kenneth Tapping is worried about the sun. Solar activity comes in regular cycles, but the latest one is refusing to start. Sunspots have all but vanished, and activity is suspiciously quiet. The last time this happened was 400 years ago -- and it signaled a solar event known as a "Maunder Minimum," along with the start of what we now call the "Little Ice Age."

Tapping, a solar researcher and project director for Canada's National Research Council, says it may be happening again. Overseeing a giant radio telescope he calls a "stethoscope for the sun," Tapping says, if the pattern doesn't change quickly, the earth is in for some very chilly weather.

During the Little Ice Age, global temperatures dropped sharply. New York Harbor froze hard enough to allow people to walk from Manhattan to Staten Island, and in Britain, people reported sighting eskimos paddling canoes off the coast. Glaciers in Norway grew up to 100 meters a year, destroying farms and villages.

But will it happen again?

In 2005, Russian astronomer Khabibullo Abdusamatov predicted the sun would soon peak, triggering a rapid decline in world temperatures. Only last month, the view was echoed by Dr. Oleg Sorokhtin, a fellow of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences. who advised the world to "stock up on fur coats." Sorokhtin, who calls man's contribution to climate change "a drop in the bucket," predicts the solar minimum to occur by the year 2040, with icy weather lasting till 2100 or beyond.

Observational data seems to support the claims -- or doesn't contradict it, at least. According to data from Britain's Met Office, the earth has cooled very slightly since 1998. The Met Office says global warming "will pick up again shortly." Others aren't so sure.

Researcher Dr. Timothy Patterson, director of the Geoscience Center at Carleton University, shares the concern. Patterson is finding "excellent correlations" between solar fluctuations, a relationship that historically, he says doesn't exist between CO2 and past climate changes. According to Patterson. we shouldn't be surprised by a solar link. "The sun [is] the ultimate source of energy on this planet," he says.

Such research dates back to 1991, when the Danish Meteorological Institute released a study showing that world temperatures over the past several centuries correlated very closely with solar cycles. A 2004 study by the Max Planck Institute found a similar correlation, but concluded the timing was only coincidental, as the solar variance seemed too small to explain temperature changes.

However, researchers at DMI continued to work, eventually discovering what they believe to be the link. The key factor isn't changes in solar output, but rather changes in the sun's magnetosphere A stronger field shields the earth more from cosmic rays, which act as "seeds" for cloud formation. The result is less cloud cover, and a warming planet. When the field weakens, clouds increases, reflecting more light back to space, and the earth cools off.

Recently, lead researcher Henrik Svensmark was able to experimentally verify the link between cosmic rays and cloud formation, in a cloud chamber experiment called "SKY" at the Danish National Space Center. CERN plans a similar experiment this year.

Even NASA's Goddard Institute of Space Studies -- long the nation's most ardent champion of anthropogenic global warming -- is getting in on the act. Drew Shindell, a researcher at GISS, says there are some "interesting relationships we don't fully understand" between solar activity and climate.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, its interesting that this article says the world temperature has even dropped in the last couple of years instead of having risen, which is in stark contrast with what global warming would cause.
Last edited by The Wanderer on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wanderer

Re: Researchers Predict Another Ice Age

Postby srredfire on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:41 pm

GLOBAL WARMING VS. GLOBAL COOLING

ROUND 1.

FIGHT!
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ad_hominem on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:56 pm

Meh. I'll just wear an extra layer.

/Optimism
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby Mango on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:59 pm

There are some that will say global warming is causing global cooling, and it's like a massive cold snap. Don't know how they arrived at that though. Some people think it might be due to an oncoming pole shift that possibly caused the last mini ice age. NASA think the entire solar system is heating up. Some people think cutting CO2 levels is accelerating the process of global warming.

I have no idea. I want them to bring back acid rain though. That was hardcore.
Mango

Postby ghost12332 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:22 pm

srredfire wrote:GLOBAL WARMING VS. GLOBAL COOLING

ROUND 1.

FIGHT!

Yah know, I was wondering the same thing.

Maybe everything will balance out and be alright (At least until i'm dead :-D )!
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby Tablespoon on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:01 pm

Mango wrote:I want them to bring back acid rain though. That was hardcore.
Oh shit, I remember that. I was always waiting for the hydrochloric variety.
Tablespoon
Regular
Regular

Postby Ale on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:08 pm

I want a zombie apocolypse.
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Tablespoon on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:16 pm

I'd be down for that.
Tablespoon
Regular
Regular

Postby Athlete{UK} on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:04 am

What do you mean another ice age? We're still in the last one.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:51 am

this discussion is as old sa is the day after tomorrow (crappy movie about the subject)
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby rb_lestr on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:57 am

Isn't another ice age directly related to global warming :? ?
rb_lestr
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby ampnetwork on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:11 pm

:D :? :roll: :|

OMFG WERE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!

end sarcasm

Seriously whats with all this predictions anyway.
Inactive as of October 07 2011 / Last Development activity is Third Quarter of 2009

ampnetwork | sovietsteel
Gaming: Partially Inactive
Mapping: HIATUS
ampnetwork
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby reaper47 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:36 pm

It's all sensationalist nonsense that distracts from the one truly important issue: Stopping to pump tons of poisenous gas in our atmosphere. I don't care whether the globe slowly warms or cools, we can only wait and see. But I think it's a good idea to end the highly inefficient and unhealthy habit of burning stuff and hulling our world in clouds of carcinogenic smoke. Have you seen those pictures of Chinese megacities? The gray air Olympic sprinters are supposed to breathe during the upcoming games? It's scary.
reaper47
Regular
Regular

Postby Penney on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:39 pm

Tablespoon wrote:
Mango wrote:I want them to bring back acid rain though. That was hardcore.
Oh shit, I remember that. I was always waiting for the hydrochloric variety.

I'm still waiting for it to rain LSD from the sky. Think about it, what would be worse an ice age or for it to rain strong hallucinagentics from the sky?

Or even worse, LSD laced snow durring an ice age! AHHH WERE ALL DOOMED!
Penney

Postby 1447 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:54 pm

rb_lestr wrote:Isn't another ice age directly related to global warming :? ?

It is, at least here in Europe.

[entering scientist mode]

The hot climate in Europe is caused by the North Atlantic current. It brings hot water from around equator up here. If you look at a map, you'll see that New York lies at the same latitude as Spain, so imagine what it would be like without it.

However, this current is quite fragile. If the north pole melts, all the fresh water will interrupt the current, and eventually, it will dissapear. And there you go, Spain will have NY-weather, and Scandinavia will be inhabitable.

[/scientist mode]

Personally, I don't care if people don't believe in it or not, if someone told me that I was going to destroy the world if I continued doing whatever I was doing, I would have stopped immediately. Just my two cents...

On the other hand, acid rain ftw!
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Serious Discussion