Almost Stabbed In Mistaken Attack

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Almost Stabbed In Mistaken Attack

Postby Enraged on Tue May 18, 2010 5:44 pm

2009 to early 2010 has been an absolute nightmare for me. I haven't done a single bit of proper modding in any sense or form during this period, but it will end in about a months time as my exams are coming to an end. (I would like to point out the exams are not the main cause of disturbance, but I don't want to talk about that more.) Yesterday was my first exam as a retake of my Critical Thinking. (At my school you have to take it at As.) As I was leaving, literally less then a few metre's from my school's front gate, I was stopped and had a knife pulled on me.

In my area, there is a very, very large religous secondary/As school. A lot of the people there are regularly attacked by other schools, just because of their religion. I was mistaken for being a part of the school by this asshole.

Although I wasn't lying when I tried explaining to the idiot I wasn't one of them, I did lie about which religion I was. Entertainingly for me, the idiot bought it, but this didn't stop him from attempting to mug me.

Now, I had just come out of an exam. I did not have anything of value on me. No mobile, no games consoles, nothing. I was expecting to get stabbed here. At this point, he, not suprisingly, didn't believe me, and threatened to take me round a corner to open my pockets and check my claim. (No seriously, this is not a gay joke.) I managed to get him to let me very slowly open each pocket to show the fact they were empty. Finally he walked off.

---

Although that's bad enough, here are the bits that make it worse.
1. This WAS a racially motivated, if mistaken, attack.
2. This was done in broad daylight at about 11 AM. Lots of traffic although no people on the pavement passed us.
3. On the opposite side of the street a CCTV camera was facing me directly. Either he was extremelly stupid or these muggers have just stopped caring, and who can blame them? CCTV is proving itself absolutely useless at preventing crime.
4. When he initially approached me, his hood was down. It was only once he pulled out the knife that he covered himself.
5. This guy, was at the oldest, 17. This means he's either a drop out or an illegal immigrant and niether of those would suprise me.

---

So are these criminals getting dumber or just more arrogant? Also, I wanted to try and get the footage from the CCTV camera, and others, allowing me to trace him back to his home so there might be chance I could get him arrested. After looking into it, I realised this was more trouble then it's worth due to a whole load of Data Protection and privacy problems, which I respect, but is this the reason that the police can't really use CCTV?

Thanks for reading.
Enraged
Regular
Regular

Re: Almost Stabbed In Mistaken Attack

Postby Major Banter on Tue May 18, 2010 5:58 pm

I assume you're British?

That's the shithole our country is.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Tue May 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Sheesh, sucks that you had to deal with this. You have reported this to the police right?
Dives wrote:Source is kinda like that really old guy in your family that keeps getting older and older and just won't die, but he tells really great stories. And craps the bed on occasion.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MáØ on Tue May 18, 2010 6:01 pm

You guys think you have it bad...

Over here the cops deal weed ;p
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Enraged on Tue May 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Reporting it to the police was the reason I was gonna' do the CCTV myself, and yes, this is the reality of Britain. When they're good at their job, they're exceptional, but this happens rarely. When they're doing the 95%-99% of the rest of their job, they are absolutely fucking useless.
Enraged
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Tue May 18, 2010 6:13 pm

And that's usually filling in forms or dealing with petty shit.

In my opinion, we need to simply bomb Essex.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SotaPoika on Tue May 18, 2010 6:13 pm

Well, you better carry some firepower with you these days. Or at least knife, hidden so if someone checks you it can't be found. Or start working out, those pricks don't come alone to threaten guy who got some more muscle than they do.
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby pk_hunter on Tue May 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Bampots will be bampots wherever you are in the world.

I've had a knife pulled on me before. It's a horrendous experience that you will no doubt repeat time and time again in your head wondering if you should have done anything differently.
At least you never lost anything.

you better carry some firepower with you these days. Or at least knife

That is terrible advice, and I urge you not to follow it.

start working out

Good advice.
Last edited by pk_hunter on Tue May 18, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby MayheM on Tue May 18, 2010 6:15 pm

It really saddens me that things like this happen. That kid is going to do that to the wrong person and will end up the dumbass who brought a knife to a gun fight. I am not saying he should be shot, but it is bound to happen.

I really do think to a certain degree many people are growing up thinking they are entitled to everything they want without having to work for it.

All that aside, I'm glad you made it out unharmed.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ad_hominem on Tue May 18, 2010 6:18 pm

pk_hunter wrote:

QFT
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby Major Banter on Tue May 18, 2010 6:24 pm

ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Tue May 18, 2010 6:28 pm

I go nowhere without my mac 10 and rocket launcher nowadays
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MáØ on Tue May 18, 2010 6:33 pm

pk_hunter wrote:

Not always, I mean, I've kept pepper spray with me at all times since I was 15 :|

Better safe with a non-lethal method of self defense then shot and left for dead in an ally I think.
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby pk_hunter on Tue May 18, 2010 6:43 pm

Better safe with a non-lethal method of self defense

I somehow doubt SotaPoika was thinking of pepper spray when he said firepower.

If Enraged had pulled a knife in response to the bampot threatening him, I can guarantee the situation would not have reached an end without violence.
Sure you can argue that the bampots are young and stupid and are just acting the hard man, but that's not going to stop them panicking and lashing out if they see a threat.
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Gary on Tue May 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Aren't guns banned in Britain anyways?

Though, having a knife with you doesn't sound like a horrible idea, cause if he was really about to stab you, you would at least have a chance. And of course if it was legal to carry a gun and you had one, then when someone tries to mug you with a knife, they will loose. But I would not try pulling a knife while someone has you at gun point, as your just get shot.

This really does suck though, it's sad that there are people in the world that will do that.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Next

Return to Serious Discussion