What is your religion/belief?

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

What is your religion/belief?

Christian
10%
Catholic
4%
Judaism
1%
Buddhism
No votes
Muslim
4%
Free-Thinker
5%
Agnostic
12%
Atheist
48%
I hate it all
5%
No preference
4%
Other
6%

Total votes : 77

Re: What is your religion/belief?

Postby Plague on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:12 am

I think Atheists try to be logical... But I can't tell when they always think Science is somehow proof of god not existing XD

Edit:
All of you guys might like this concept.

God being so powerful basically makes everything else suspect. He could have made everything that is in existence.

But does it not make sense that only Man could have made such a catch-22. :wink:
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ark11 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:55 am

What? No 'Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster' option?
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby Smurftyours on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:14 am

[frank] wrote:For me, I don't think I have ever been to church where they have said Evolution is a lie. I don't think I have ever been anywhere where they said Science is not true.

Same here. Atheists just automatically assume that every single religious person is brainwashed to the point of ignoring reality. I my self do believe in God strongly, but I also believe in modern science and don't deny evolution. Does this make me a bad Catholic? No, not at all in my opinion. I also find it odd that Atheists say that other religions are pushy and try to convert people against their will. In my own experiences, I find that the most pushy out of religious groups is the Atheists by far. Rather then getting along and saying Atheists believe in nothing and Catholics believe in a God, Atheists basically say your fucking wrong and that your stupid for having personal beliefs. I don't go around telling non Catholics that they are stupid for not believing in what I do. I actually would rather want them to make their own choice as long as they let me make my own. I'm not going to make someone do something they don't believe in, but I don't want someone telling me I'm wrong for having my own beliefs, even if they seem stupid or fake in the viewers opinion. I also have had many experiences in my life that have strengthened my belief and trust in God. Things that would seem like a lucky coincidence or a good anomaly are more than just that to me. They are the everyday signs that there is a God watching over us all. Go ahead and call me an idiot for believing this, but in my opinion its the truth.

Also kinda makes me a little happy to find another Roman Catholic on this fourm, makes me not feel like so much the odd man out.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Ark11 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:40 am

Smurftyours wrote:
[frank] wrote:For me, I don't think I have ever been to church where they have said Evolution is a lie. I don't think I have ever been anywhere where they said Science is not true.

Same here. Atheists just automatically assume that every single religious person is brainwashed to the point of ignoring reality. - Skip extremely long post - Also kinda makes me a little happy to find another Roman Catholic on this fourm, makes me not feel like so much the odd man out.

The only religious groups that have been brain-washed that come to mind are Opas Dai, KKK and Heaven's Gate.
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby Mighty Monk on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:13 am

[frank] wrote:On another note, I hate people saying "Religion is a lie" or "Religion is false" mainly because I don't think there is any proof to that statement.

But I'm allowed to believe that to be true, aren't I? :|

If not, then nobody is allowed to have a belief in religion, because there is no proof that religion is not a lie or is not false.
Mighty Monk
Regular
Regular

Postby Simpletool on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:14 am

Smurftyours wrote:Same here. Atheists just automatically assume that every single religious person is brainwashed to the point of ignoring reality. I my self do believe in God strongly, but I also believe in modern science and don't deny evolution. Does this make me a bad Catholic? No, not at all in my opinion. I also find it odd that Atheists say that other religions are pushy and try to convert people against their will. In my own experiences, I find that the most pushy out of religious groups is the Atheists by far. Rather then getting along and saying Atheists believe in nothing and Catholics believe in a God, Atheists basically say your fucking wrong and that your stupid for having personal beliefs. I don't go around telling non Catholics that they are stupid for not believing in what I do. I actually would rather want them to make their own choice as long as they let me make my own. I'm not going to make someone do something they don't believe in, but I don't want someone telling me I'm wrong for having my own beliefs, even if they seem stupid or fake in the viewers opinion. I also have had many experiences in my life that have strengthened my belief and trust in God. Things that would seem like a lucky coincidence or a good anomaly are more than just that to me. They are the everyday signs that there is a God watching over us all. Go ahead and call me an idiot for believing this, but in my opinion its the truth.

Also kinda makes me a little happy to find another Roman Catholic on this fourm, makes me not feel like so much the odd man out.

Do you see the issue with basing your perception of an entire group of people on your own little bit anecdotal experience? I mean when you say things like "Atheists just automatically assume that every single religious person is brainwashed to the point of ignoring reality." and "Atheists basically say your fucking wrong and that your stupid for having personal beliefs." people will assume you're incredibly ignorant.

I find that the most pushy out of religious groups is the Atheists by far

Atheism isn't a religion, there exists no central governing body of atheism, there is no manual that lays out the Dos & Don'ts of atheism. It is simply put, a choice to live without any belief in a god. It is the absence of religion in a person's life that defines them as atheist or agnostic. Point me to evidence that proves atheists are making large and well organized attempts to aggressively proselytize.

but in my opinion its the truth.

Aaaaaand here we have it, the central tenet of your argument. Your opinion is a belief formed by extremely limited experiences and knowledge, and should not be regarded as fact or truth in argument. You have every right to form and hold your own opinions, but don't expect anyone to take your seriously if you can't defend them rationally and with evidence. Repeating an opinion over and over again does not make it truth.
Simpletool
Regular
Regular

Postby source-maps on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:24 am

again mayhem, not saying there is no god or you a crazy if you believe in one...
it's just pretty simple that all religions on earth are made up my mankind them selfs

it's just because we don't have the answers to everything, some people make up those answers
and yes, you can simply proof religions are untrue by simply pointing out the impossible events happening in their stories.

it's just a simple fact, learn to live with it.. you believe what you believe by the time and area you live in
if this were the ancient Greeks we would be discussing if Zeus was really the high and mighty god.. if I would still believe that, people would think I was nuts (not implying religious people are nuts)

and no, I personally have nothing against religious people, I have Muslim friends, Catholic friends.. heck I even have a friend that believes that we came from aliens lol..

sorry if I am offending anyone here, or making Atheist look bad.. but I will say it again, all religions are false

of course some will quote me again, and only say "Oh how can you say there is no god you have no proof"
not what I said people, read
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Plague on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Simpletool wrote:Atheism isn't a religion, there exists no central governing body of atheism, there is no manual that lays out the Dos & Don'ts of atheism. It is simply put, a choice to live without any belief in a god. It is the absence of religion in a person's life that defines them as atheist or agnostic. Point me to evidence that proves atheists are making large and well organized attempts to aggressively proselytize.

If you want to be the type of person with no belief, then don't believe in not believing....

source-maps wrote:it's just pretty simple that all religions on earth are made up my mankind them selfs

source-maps wrote:you can simply proof religions are untrue by simply pointing out the impossible events happening in their stories.

source-maps wrote:but I will say it again, all religions are false

Last time I checked no man could disprove a Religion completely....

So many obvious facts yet so little actual proof or evidence.

Its almost like your deciding your own opinions and beliefs are truth and others are false....

But what do I know.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:05 pm

Plague wrote:So many obvious facts yet so little actual proof or evidence.

Its almost like your deciding your own opinions and beliefs are truth and others are false....

But what do I know.

use some common sense already, you know how many 'religions' there are, including religions or beliefs that are no longer used, why would your religion be the one true religion

also, for example taking the bible.. it's pretty much proven to be wrong because of things like 'god created the first man and took a rib out of adam and created the first woman' or 'the earth is 6000 years old' or 'the earth was created in 7 days'
etc. etc.

I also love how people change the religion to fit their own style, like 'hey I'm a modded Cristian, 'I believe in evolution but that doesn't mean the bible isn't true'
like this muslim friend of mine, he says the koran isn't of this day and age.. so he thinks its perfectly acceptable to 'sin'
with other words.. allot of people just take the part of religion they like, for example going to heaven.. but sex before marriage is oké even tho it's something you go to hell for.. in their mind it isn't

it's pretty obvious that man made these things up 2000 years ago because they didn't fully understand why we are here.. we still don't know.. but with some critical thinking you come to the fact that all religious are man made.
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Vilham on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:27 pm

people seem to be wrongly confusing belief and faith. They are two massively different concepts, one requires evidence the other doesn't.
Designer - Frontier Developments
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby source-maps on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:46 pm

Vilham wrote:people seem to be wrongly confusing belief and faith. They are two massively different concepts, one requires evidence the other doesn't.

they are just different labels you put on the same jar :smt023
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Vilham on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Not even in the slightest.
Designer - Frontier Developments
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby MayheM on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:03 pm

source-maps, it is not that cut and dry... Saying all religions are made up by mankind goes against what people who believe in God... believe. The problem is you have a hard time seeing how anyone can believe what they can not prove.

I was thinking about this while i was getting ready for work. Granted this example is a bit different, but it has some merit so... We all take science classes. Some of which, at least the ones when we are young are all theoretically based, meaning we do not actually test the knowledge we read in the books. We just learn to not question them. Regardless of if they can or can not be proven, we believe them without question. Many of us have never looked at the molecular composition of the air we breath yet we still believe it is made up of several different gasses because someone wrote it in a book after they ran the tests. You personally have no proof other than what you have read. Does that make it untrue? There are countless things that can fall into this category. Granted, you could run the test yourself, but most will not. Most will continue to believe what they read in books. By no means am I trying to disprove what people read or write in science text books, I am just making a point...

Also, there is surely a difference between belief and faith. I believe in evolution, I have faith in God...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Giblets of Jesus on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Plague wrote:Last time I checked no man could disprove a Religion completely....

Last time I checked, no man could prove the existence of any god completely.

Also, I could believe in a flying telepathic teapot that lives in the core of the moon, you cannot disprove the teapot, but that doesn't make it any more real. You have only my word on it.

Same goes for religion.
The Giblets of Jesus
Regular
Regular

Postby MayheM on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:48 pm

But it does not give me the right to tell you you can not believe in them... Or to say people that believe in them should be forced to stop believing. Hey man, if believing in flying teapots makes your life better and more fulfilling, then by all means go ahead.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Discussion