Immaturity in youngsters.

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Postby Rustvaar on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:09 pm

Hop in my time machine if you will!

Woosh! Back to 1996 we go. I'm 8 years old and I'm on the Internet for the first time unsupervised.

Somehow I stumble upon a discussion group involving other 8 year old children who are all talking mathematics and various nerdy things. I tell them all to stop being so sad and go get a life.

Hours later I get found out by my mum, dad and uncle and I get told off because it's bad - I LEARN A LESSON!!

I realise that being rude online is the same as being rude in the real world and I don't do it.

Children are immature and disobedient because there is a lack of good parenting - And even when there is good parenting there is a short supply of it. Nowadays two parents are expected to go to work and earn a wage, while the kids spend time in school rebelling (Cause it's just what you do at school) they come home and mum and dad aren't in so they hang around with their mates - There's nowhere to go because for the most part the parents are at work, don't want a crowd of kids in the house or aren't in for whatever reason - So they wander around and they cause trouble.

They go home to their parents, who don't care about what their kid done and don't say "Do your homework!" or "Get off that telephone!" or "Stop playing on the Internet" - So the kid does what they want for as long as they want and the parent doesn't take any involvement. The parent soon realises when they approach their child and ask them to stop they are met with refusal. Then abuse. Then they stop trying - They let the kid get what they want.

Children aren't seeing their parents often enough, they're not talking or interacting and they grow up with the mentality that no-one cares and all you've got is your mates, and when you want something you act up. I was lucky, I came from a good family - My mum gave up work to raise me and my brother despite the fact she could go to work if she wanted - My Dad earned a good wage and I used to watch TV with him at night and I got help with my homework and class projects. I was told right from wrong and when my parents told me to do something I done it . When I was 11 my mum died and my dad still had to work and try to keep things together, my brother had been rebelling for a few months prior and so I was learning from what he done - Rebelling made people sad, and made life harder and I didn't want that.

I rebelled very slightly as a teenager, however I didn't do drugs, drink or go out all night and cause a nuisance - Because I saw the bad effects it could cause and I didn't want to harm people - I was often told I was mature beyond my years and I appreciated these comments, to this day I still try to be polite, listen to others and generally be nice to other people.

My Dad put it best when he explained ...

2 working parents are taxed 'x' amount. When a child is born in the family and both parents continue working their taxable income remains the same - However if one parent stops working the tax for the other is reduced. Meaning the non-working parent, instead of instantly going to work and abandoning the child, has to really consider "Do we want to lose 'x' amount to our income?" - Therefore the parent will rather stay home and raise the child as opposed to work.

He explained it better than me because he knew what he was talking about but that's the general idea.

Anyway thats my two .... hundred cents. :D
Rustvaar
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Biological-Bum on Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:26 am

I am only thirteen years old currently. Right now, I would be preferred quite mature for my age compared to some others. I usually stay well within the lines of legal standards. I try to stay away from trouble and do as many right things as I can, while some others cause trouble, mess with others for no reason, bother others just for entertainment. break things, swear every few seconds, etc. (of course teenagers that do all those negative things are uncommon. I know some, though.) Only a few of my friends are anything like me. Some are very annoying and do unpleasant things often. Almost no one I've ever met was anywhere near exactly like me.
Well, that's just some background information. I can say that the younger people these days can act more mature. Many of the children at my school have rather shallow minds (if you know that I mean). They only consider easy things as being right things, when they are actually sometimes the wrong things. They always complain when something they dislike, happens that would actually be beneficial to them. That's just generalized, though. There are always exceptions. How should I know what children my age are thinking? My thinking appears to be different from the thinkings of other children my age.
Adults at were I live seem to be quite tolerant towards minor bad things that teenagers cause, but they have their limits. They don't really expect much from the people that don't do much, but expect more from people that do more. Adults don't really base their opinions of people upon who they hang out with (most of the adults I know at least). Many children think that certain adults are "bad", except It appears that the "bad" ones are actually the ones that want to help the children the most. Mostly the strict adults.
And it really depends on what you like to do that determines how maturity and immaturity effects it. If you like to break window, ruin property, and bad things like that, I'm sure that you won't like it if you were stopped from doing those things. I myself enjoy mapping, playing various computer games, Reading, sometimes writing, talking to friends, going to some classes in school, and other things of that sort. I don't really have any problems at school.
I agree with what Rustvaar said and what some others said also. Children need to be more educated (from school and from the right people). Some need to correct the way they think ( by various methods). And as my social studies (history) teacher says, the best thing you can do is to stay in school (that is not his exact words, but something like that). If you want to live a successful life, I suggest you do.

PS. I am quite tired right now. It is about 11:30 PM right now at where I live. Sorry if there are any errors in my "lecture". I tried to make everything as accurate as I can. I usually don't think completely normal at this time of night.
A WIP Single Player Mod
Biological-Bum
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Spartan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:24 am

Rustvaar wrote:
Children are immature and disobedient because there is a lack of good parenting - And even when there is good parenting there is a short supply of it. Nowadays two parents are expected to go to work and earn a wage, while the kids spend time in school rebelling (Cause it's just what you do at school) they come home and mum and dad aren't in so they hang around with their mates - There's nowhere to go because for the most part the parents are at work, don't want a crowd of kids in the house or aren't in for whatever reason - So they wander around and they cause trouble.

They go home to their parents, who don't care about what their kid done and don't say "Do your homework!" or "Get off that telephone!" or "Stop playing on the Internet" - So the kid does what they want for as long as they want and the parent doesn't take any involvement. The parent soon realises when they approach their child and ask them to stop they are met with refusal. Then abuse. Then they stop trying - They let the kid get what they want.

I think your assuming too much about most parents. Parents want their kids to do good in school and not get into trouble and have a better life then they did. Most parents don't let their kid just go out and do whatever they want and they try to control them but it's very difficult trying to get control over a teenager. Most parents get burned out with kids, their job, etc. It's tough to be a parent with a full time job and unfortunatly most kids don't realise this and don't have respect for their parents. That all changes when they have kids though. The problem isn't that the parents aren't punishing their kids, it's that they aren't doing the right things to gain respect from their kids.

However there are always exceptions. Some parents are extremely strict, others don't do shit, and some don't have to ever punish their kids because they already have really good kids who respect their parents. Parents also have to realise their kids age. A problem is that most of the time a parent will still treat their teenage like a younger kid. They need to realise they are older and need to remember they were teenagers once. The kids also need to realise just how hard it is to be a parent. If both parties realise this then most families would be much much happier.

Something I see often is a lack of self esteem in most kids. It's because the parents are so burned out from work they don't have a lot of time for their kids. This can cause a lot of resentment for the kids. It's a problem that is really harmful to anyone.

One of the things that makes me cringe is to see a kid or teenager disrespecting an adult. Now I'm not perfect and I've been pissed off and even hostile to my parents before, however I've never yelled, threatened, or cursed at them. I see kids do this to adults at my school. I wish I could take a crowbar to their heads.
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mabufo on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:50 am

Kids don't read books anymore. I think this greatly contributes to any sort of maturity level - especially in kids.
mabufo

Postby YokaI on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:25 am

mabufo wrote:Kids don't read books anymore.

Only the stupid ones dont. I can see that not very many people in america read books. However, look at how stupid our country is? It is definatly interesting results.

Though we not be reading the "least" amount, but we are definatly down at the bottom. That is, throwing aside the places where people cannot afford books because of the print prices.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Biological-Bum on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:11 pm

I read books, but mostly before I sleep.
A WIP Single Player Mod
Biological-Bum
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Spartan on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:37 am

mabufo wrote:Kids don't read books anymore. I think this greatly contributes to any sort of maturity level - especially in kids.

Oh yeah I saw that special too on ABC last night.

sarcasm
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Terminator on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:50 pm

Biological-Bum wrote:I try to stay away from trouble and do as many right things as I can, while some others cause trouble, mess with others for no reason, bother others just for entertainment. break things, swear every few seconds, etc. (of course teenagers that do all those negative things are uncommon. I know some, though.) Only a few of my friends are anything like me. Some are very annoying and do unpleasant things often. Almost no one I've ever met was anywhere near exactly like me.

I found that shocking, since around here practically everyone gets a buzz by hurting someone else. That or smoking something nasty...

That kind of person is extremely common where I live: practically the rule.

YokaI wrote:
mabufo wrote:Kids don't read books anymore.
Only the stupid ones dont.

Only half the girls and myself actually seemed to read anything in my high school. I bet half the nimwits there could not even read...

The problem in America is everyone has become dangerously lazy. People in America assume that every book will by turned into a movie, and they will just watch that while they recline on the couch and each cookies and soda, of wolf down a super-sized Happy Meal...

Excercise? What is that? *Burp...*
Take the stairs? Why do that? The elevator can take my fat ass one floor down...

This explains why the obesity rate is spiking past 60%, the morbidly obese are now at nearly 40%, and heart disease is still the #1 killer. Simply put, Americans have gotten so damn lazy that they want everything to happen with the absolute minimum amount of effort. Utterly pathetic...

America needs a really big kick in the ass.
America deserves what they will eventually get... :twisted:
Feed your ambition, and find your inner strength.
FedCom: dare to push yourself beyond all limits!

Visit our website, and find the future you've been looking for!
Terminator
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby KILLA-COW on Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:09 pm

Biological-Bum wrote:I am only thirteen years old currently. Right now, I would be preferred quite mature for my age compared to some others. I usually stay well within the lines of legal standards. I try to stay away from trouble and do as many right things as I can, while some others cause trouble, mess with others for no reason, bother others just for entertainment. break things, swear every few seconds, etc. (of course teenagers that do all those negative things are uncommon. I know some, though.) Only a few of my friends are anything like me. Some are very annoying and do unpleasant things often. Almost no one I've ever met was anywhere near exactly like me.

Ok thats really good that your being very mature and grown up and a very good boy, but your gonna hit puberty and the 14 or 15 and your going to get urges to do things you might never dream you would.

I know I am nothing like you now, but back when I was 13 I was pretty much a spit of you, I didn't drink, didn't do drugs, didn't get in trouble with the police, didn't really do alot with girls, but things really start to change, if you stay as you are now and don't indulge in the forbidden, I have the upmost respect for you, some of my friends are 'straight edge' and I respect them greatly for it, people who don't give in to peer pressure really are the strongest of all.

Anyone here who hasn't given in to peer pressure I strongly advise you to stay that way, if someone calls you pussy for not smoking or pussy for not getting drunk, they are undoubtably the pussy and you are the stronger one for not giving in to them. But who am I to preach this, I have given in and I do sometimes regret it, but yet I know I would regret not having given in maybe as well.

All in all, I think there is a definate line and boundary, by all means drink and shit, but don't go over the top and stuff, I'm always talking about how I'm just living life to the full and although I am, with the stuff I do I am probably making that life I'm living a great deal shorter. If you are strong enough to live your life without giving into your peers and strong enough to stick to your guns and beliefs, I salute you.

However, you still gotta have fun, when I'm old and laying on my death bed I want to look back and say, I may have been stupid, but fuck me I had a great time, if I can look back and say that, I've lived my life how I want to live it.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Spartan on Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:04 pm

KILLA-COW wrote:I know I am nothing like you now, but back when I was 13 I was pretty much a spit of you, I didn't drink, didn't do drugs, didn't get in trouble with the police, didn't really do alot with girls, but things really start to change, if you stay as you are now and don't indulge in the forbidden, I have the upmost respect for you, some of my friends are 'straight edge' and I respect them greatly for it, people who don't give in to peer pressure really are the strongest of all.

Lol :lol:

Are you suggesting that you drink and smoke now? Your a tough guy aren't you. :lol:

Seriously it's not that hard to stay away from that stuff. I'm not saying your a bad person. Just that you probably have low self esteem.
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KILLA-COW on Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:49 pm

Spartan wrote:
KILLA-COW wrote:I know I am nothing like you now, but back when I was 13 I was pretty much a spit of you, I didn't drink, didn't do drugs, didn't get in trouble with the police, didn't really do alot with girls, but things really start to change, if you stay as you are now and don't indulge in the forbidden, I have the upmost respect for you, some of my friends are 'straight edge' and I respect them greatly for it, people who don't give in to peer pressure really are the strongest of all.

Lol :lol:

Are you suggesting that you drink and smoke now? Your a tough guy aren't you. :lol:

Seriously it's not that hard to stay away from that stuff. I'm not saying your a bad person. Just that you probably have low self esteem.

I don't smoke ciggies, so I'm even tougher. :twisted:

I wouldn't say I have low self esteem either, but, I do give fairly easily sometimes, I do stand strong on certain things. It may not be hard to you, but when your surrounded by a crowd that do that sort of thing it is quite hard, I can't use that excuse though, lol.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Terminator on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:33 am

Interesting how you say those things about guys hitting puberty. When I hit puberty, I never had urges to do anything different. The physiological changes happened, but I totally skipped the mental and emotional turmoil that engulfs so many others.

And on the subject of peer pressure: the only true way to resist the pressures of others is to know yourself. Do that, and even torture has no effect.

That and knowing that you can kick the crap out of any shmuck that gets pissed-off at you. Ah, concealed martial arts: the perfect anti-drug...and anti-everything else in your way. :-D

Oh, and by definition, youngsters are immature.
Immature means "less than mature". 8)
Feed your ambition, and find your inner strength.
FedCom: dare to push yourself beyond all limits!

Visit our website, and find the future you've been looking for!
Terminator
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Previous

Return to Serious Discussion