Gotta have the Hammond

Films, albums, random internet videos.

Gotta have the Hammond

Postby p1nkfl0yd1an on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:04 pm

The main reason i can't stand most new "popular" bands these days is because there's an overwhelming lack of keyboards in all of it. Chords and whining while you sing can only do so much for the musical side of my brain. The best keyboard instrument out there???

It's the hammond b3 organ. Hands down. It's been around forever and they haven't made them for 40 years or so but hundreds of them are still out there. Pink Floyd had a hammond, the doors had a hammond (i think) Emmerson Lake and Palmer most definitely had a hammond. Yes had a hammond. All the *good* Progressive rock bands have hammonds. Most country bands have hammonds, only they make poor use of them and throw them in the background when they're bored of the piano. Country music sucks but at least they have the hammond.

You gotta have the hammond.

Semi-Pointless post done.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall
p1nkfl0yd1an
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Jest@ on Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:13 pm

dude - you've read my mind. I'm a huuuuuuge hammond fan, seriously, it's got the nicest sound and and is almost as versatile as an electic guitar. It's also used in a phenomenal amount of music prior to about 1980, but really subtely....favourite instument ever.

It's not just prog - the hammond is a keystone to old, good funk music, early RnB uses it (led zep), and some more recent stuff does - Beastie boys love it, Beck uses it a bit....some form of clone of a hammond is also a staple feature in almost all hip-hop producers arsenal.

I'm with you all the way here, hammond ftw. wanna form the Interlopers Hammond Organ Apprectiaion Society?!
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby p1nkfl0yd1an on Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:47 pm

Hell yeah I do.
p1nkfl0yd1an
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby p1nkfl0yd1an on Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:57 pm

Also i've got a sweet Hammond synth plugin that i think works with most music programs if anyone who values the hammond is interested. It's the Native Instruments B4.

It's pretty much just like a hammond in that it has the drawbars for the manuals... and pedals... i really like throwing the rotator switch though for that awesome hammond whirrrrrr.
p1nkfl0yd1an
Pheropod
Pheropod

Return to Media