Released Open Source mod

Grab your favourite IDE and tinker with the innards of game engines

Released Open Source mod

Postby hekar on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Released Open Source mod

Me and 2 other mappers released an open source modification a while ago. I'm not really interested in the mod anymore, but I thought it'd be useful for anyone who wishes to learn more about making a mod of their own or wants to read some code.

It's a remake of Sourceforts. It's called Luminousforts.
  • It supports multiple gamerules. The map makes the selection of the gamemode through its map properties
  • Can run SF 1941 maps out of the box. Also has its own entities that are much cleaner and feature rich than the SF ones
  • Replaces the Valve titlescreen, it's been programmed from scratch and is fully customizable. This includes a video tutorial player
  • Has a few useful HUD elements, that you can easily tweak and fit to your own mod. Also has a custom scoreboard

The game is fully playable. I tried to build it in the mindset of having multiple gamemodes, so the code simply allows for you to add a new gamerule and completely change the game around. The gamerule determines the player classes, phases, and a few other useful things.

You get the codebase you need to install mercurial (I recommend TortoiseHg)
Code: Select all
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/hekar/luminous-forts-openbase

To get the game files you need to install Subversion (I recommend TortoiseSVN.)
Code: Select all
svn co https://luminousforts.svn.cvsdude.com/luminousforts

If you have any questions about the codebase or any questions at all, you can ask me on Steam (hekark).

Without a team, I'm not really that interested in further developing the modification.
hekar
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Released Open Source mod

Postby Jike on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:04 pm

If only....

....I could code.... :P

I guess I'll download this for later reference and practice. Thanks, this seems very VERY useful!
-Jike
Jike
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby gallauco on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Open source releases are a bless for every community, in fact me and a friend are almost ready to release the base for building complete 2d mods.
I'd like to see more of these initiatives, though I don't blame who retain his code to have an edge or for other (good) reasons.

Thanks ;)
gallauco
Regular
Regular

Postby BubbleQ on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Open source IS really the way to go when it comes to "computers", can´t see anything negative about it. Especially after 4 mounths of linux^^
So what you do is really nice and I will sure take use of this! Sourceforts has it´s own special place in my heart.
I have only played the original one, but thatone has kinda died in development so... maybe I can with your premade content build my very own supersourceforts of my dreams :D I think I will do that!

But as Jike also said, I need to learn how to program. Though in the past half-year I have been taking a python class every monday and I have alot more understanding of programing now, if I just finish my own active stuff I will sure dig in to c++ and build something, based on your mod ;)
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:00 am

BubbleQ wrote:I have only played the original one, but thatone has kinda died in development so...

Yeah, after the 2.0 leak we found it really hard to stay motivated. I am kinda glad to see people still interested in SF. I haven't played it in forever.

I remember back in the day there was these guys copying us, calling their mod Neoforts. I wonder if thats still around?
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby hekar on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Jike wrote:I guess I'll download this for later reference and practice. Thanks, this seems very VERY useful!

BubbleQ wrote:But as Jike also said, I need to learn how to program. Though in the past half-year I have been taking a python class every monday and I have alot more understanding of programing now, if I just finish my own active stuff I will sure dig in to c++ and build something, based on your mod ;)

The code is actually really easy to read and use, because it's only the Luminousforts code (no Valve code included.) This way you can actually see what the mod added rather than just getting a huge Source SDK and not knowing what was actually done.

To merge the code with a full Source SDK, there are two python scripts and two batch files at the root of the codebase. You drag your Source SDK 2007 directory into "luminousforts_apply_patch.bat" and it'll convert that Source SDK folder into a full Luminousforts codebase. It should compile out of the box, but you're probably going to have to change the output of the builds (under Right Click Project->Properties->Custom Build Events) to point to your folder of the mod or where ever else you want the dlls to go (if you need any help, you can ask me!)

MrTwoVideoCards wrote:Yeah, after the 2.0 leak we found it really hard to stay motivated. I am kinda glad to see people still interested in SF. I haven't played it in forever.

I remember back in the day there was these guys copying us, calling their mod Neoforts. I wonder if thats still around?

The guy who made Neoforts, was actually one of the original Sourceforts developers. He worked on 1.3.x and made 1.4.x. However, he got into a fight with the team and left to make Neoforts (the team began to change and he was one of the only original members remaining.)

Luminousforts was supposed to be Sourceforts 1.9.5, but I found it hard to work with people that didn't really want the mod to exist. I had ambitious plans for the mod and many people weren't happy about that. Also, I felt like no one was willing to give up control of Sourceforts. They'd rather have it, dead in their hands, than have someone else take it over. Also, the Project Haven (new Sourceforts sequel) guys weren't too happy it either. We saw each other as competition. I really regret arguing with people about stupid things.

However, open source fixes most of these issues, because there's no overhanging elite that controls everything. If there is an overhanging elite, then the mod will get destroyed by forks (people copying the code and making their versions) and the developers will have their due. Sometimes good things can come from a fork (Zombie Master 2.)
hekar
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby WaterRatj on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Care to give any help on the IRCLIB?
I was looking for something for a while now
WaterRatj

Postby Jike on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Hey, what's the difference between TortoiceHG and TortoiseSVN. I've been using the latter, but I've never heard of HG...

And once again thanks for all this, it will help greatly!

P.S.: You used Blender for the models! Nice to see a fellow user! ;)
-Jike
Jike
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby hekar on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:54 pm

WaterRatj wrote:Care to give any help on the IRCLIB?
I was looking for something for a while now

Sure, read the PM I sent you. How'd you know I've tried IRC Lib? I was going to make an ingame IRC client, but I'm not sure of the performance implications.
hekar
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby cheesemoo0 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:34 am

Jike wrote:Hey, what's the difference between TortoiceHG and TortoiseSVN. I've been using the latter, but I've never heard of HG...

And once again thanks for all this, it will help greatly!

P.S.: You used Blender for the models! Nice to see a fellow user! ;)

One is for SVN and the other is for Mercurial.
cheesemoo0
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Programming