[HL2:DM] DM-Permanent released!

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

[HL2:DM] DM-Permanent released!

Postby markishome359 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:29 am

Hey guys! I just finished my first map and I thought I'd share it with you.

It's called DM-Permanent for Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, and it's a remake of a user-made map for the original Unreal Tournament, DM-Permanent][ by Frostblood.

I stuck with a simple, preexisting layout for my first map so I could focus purely on learning the tools. I stayed as faithful as possible to the original, although I changed the outdoor environment (which I'm quite proud of) and added a little extra detail in some places.

Please check out my blog post for comparison shots and some "behind the scenes" information! For now, I'll just leave you with some stand-alone pics:

markishome359
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: [HL2:DM] DM-Permanent released!

Postby Welsh Mullet on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:55 pm

I'm not saying I could do any better, but I'll just give you a taste of what is probably coming.
1. Work on texturing (Alignment as well as appropriate textures.)
2. A lot of the surfaces look too flat.. to me anyway. Try props on walls, make them more interesting, use displacements

the lighting however looks okay to me, although I would like to see more shadows.
Atm, to me, it looks a little too like a gold source map :/
That's what she said.
Welsh Mullet
Regular
Regular

Postby Dr Evil on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:03 pm

I remember playing this on UT... and I've considered remaking the UT map "dm_pressure" for HL2:DM :smt023

I like it, but I have to agree with Welsh Mullet, I think it would look better with some custom textures and stuff, maybe some pipes along the walls, barrels, crates, etc....

but it definitely brings back memories of my UT days!
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Smurftyours on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Just because its from UT doesn't mean it has to look old. Try using more details and lighting techniques.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby haymaker on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:19 pm

I think i remember the beta you had some time ago. At the time my impression was that it was made by someone with little experience in the game regardless of aesthetic impact. I'm talking about irritating solid projections, bad dimensions ( the headroom in pic 4 for example ), poor weapon placement, anything that slows the game down.

Looks like you've addressed some visual things which is why you're posting it here, but it appears to be the same geometry from before. This game is still really fast despite valve's shite-ass support, and the user mods out there are even faster; there's not much staying power in cramped quarters unfortunately. Which is what porting from UT appears to have resulted in.
haymaker
Regular
Regular

Return to Showcase