[CS Source] Poolbase

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

[CS Source] Poolbase

Postby acid on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:29 pm

2nd Hotfixed Version released
If you downloaded the map on release day you are probably missing particles and cubemaps, please download it a second time by following any of the links further down. Really this time.

This is poolparty. Except it looks completely different.

Changelog:
- Water particles streaming out of the walls
- Animated water refraction on ceiling
- Pool water
- Ambient sounds for burbling water
- Color Correction
- Atmosphaerical reverb soundscapes
- Setting defining areas behind each spawn
- Easteregg song from Prince of Persia 4.

I also made a showcase fragvideo on it:
[Showcase on fy_poolbase]

Download and description are available here:
http://acidmaps.net/css-fy-poolbase.html
http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/154457
http://www.mapgate.eu/css/fy-Maps/poolbase.html

I hope this is actually as good as I imagine it to be. I worked non-stop for the past 18 hours and have completely lost any ability to look at the map objectively.

Please comment and tell me what should be better.
Last edited by acid on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.
acid

Re: [CS Source] Poolbase

Postby Kosire on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:44 pm

fy_poolparty_v9000 or a spa?
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby acid on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:53 pm

[edited #1]

Poolparty.I have the feeling that my own maps aren't popular at all (http://acidmaps.net see fy_assault and aim_vicious), so instead of being one in tenthousand random mappers I figured I'd rather be one in a hundred poolparty remakers that gets some attention and feedback so I can later start producing my own stuff and get feedback for that.
Last edited by acid on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acid

Postby Mephasto on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Those arcs seem pretty blocky, maybe you should add more detail to them, it's pretty small scene so it wont be expensive, just remember to func_detail them :)

slope area leading into pool seems rather narrow and steep.

Those water streams could be little wider, reminds me of someone pissing into the pool.

Otherwise seems nice and relaxing scene, for BLOODBATH.
Mephasto
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Preamp on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:37 pm

its looks like a old Roman/Greek sauna/spa/bath facility
i love the way that the water reflects unto the ceiling.
Preamp
Regular
Regular

Postby mookie on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:11 pm

I've taken note of your maps before. To put it simply, they look very competently done for what they are, but what they are are very small maps with no objective. Aesthetically, they're better than a lot of maps that see use, but outside of a dedicated GunGame or Deathmatch server I don't really see much use for these.

Also, your maps don't really show any knowledge of optimization that I can see. It could be because you didn't bother (since the maps don't need it), but if you don't know how to do it that will cause problems if you try to do bigger things.

A few thoughts on this map:

The pool seems too shallow. When you jump off the board, you'd expect to be stopped smoothly by the water, but instead you just bottom out right away.

The particle water effect does not appear. Instead, in console:
Code: Select all
Attemped to precache unknown particle system "water_bouncer"!
Attemped to precache unknown particle system "water_pour1"!
Attempting to create unknown particle system 'water_bouncer'
Attempting to create unknown particle system 'water_pour1'

The cubemap that's applied to all the tiles doesn't appear. Instead, it shows as a purple checkerboard.
"When you mess up, it makes me feel better about me." -- Vince Masuka
mookie
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby acid on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:24 pm

mookie wrote:I've taken note of your maps before. To put it simply, they look very competently done for what they are, but what they are are very small maps with no objective. Aesthetically, they're better than a lot of maps that see use, but outside of a dedicated GunGame or Deathmatch server I don't really see much use for these.

Also, your maps don't really show any knowledge of optimization that I can see. It could be because you didn't bother (since the maps don't need it), but if you don't know how to do it that will cause problems if you try to do bigger things.

Hey, thanks!
You inspired me to give de_ a shot, I'll do it.
Yeah I know a bit about optimization, at least I read some articles on VIS. I know how to use hint brushes, when to use func_detail, what vis portals look like if you do it wrong and I opt for using models everywhere because I just picked up Blender.

A few thoughts on this map:

The pool seems too shallow. When you jump off the board, you'd expect to be stopped smoothly by the water, but instead you just bottom out right away.

The particle water effect does not appear.

The cubemap that's applied to all the tiles doesn't appear. Instead, it shows as a purple checkerboard.

I hotfixed particles and cubemaps (hope they work, I never see pink checkers even though mat_specular is enabled - please tell me if its still broken). I'll see about the pool, seems like there is no reason why it shouldn't be deeper than it is at the moment.

Mephasto wrote:Those arcs seem pretty blocky, maybe you should add more detail to them, it's pretty small scene so it wont be expensive, just remember to func_detail them :)

slope area leading into pool seems rather narrow and steep.

Those water streams could be little wider, reminds me of someone pissing into the pool.

Otherwise seems nice and relaxing scene, for BLOODBATH.

I'm actually converting all the details into models right now so I'll go ahead and detail them a bit.
Now that you mentioned pissing I can't unsee the pee streams. I'll see to that, too.

Thank you all for the comments so far!
acid

Postby mookie on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:43 pm

Well the purple checkerboard went away. The particles still don't appear, and as I look in my cstrike folder, there was not a particles folder before. I think in a normal installation, the particles files all stay in the GCFs, and so unfortunately loading custom particles is probably not going to work in CSS in general. I don't have GCFScape installed so I haven't looked in your BSP file, but if you haven't tried already you might try packing the adjusted particle manifest file into the BSP, along with the particle itself. Unfortunately anything requiring an adjustment to be made on the client side is pretty much not going to happen, and becomes even less likely if the file to be edited needs to be unpacked from a GCF first.
mookie
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby acid on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:55 pm

Are you sure you extracted both the pcf and particle_manifest.txt? Because when I copy those two over to css beta and pretend to have nothing installed but the map those two files particles work fine.

I tried lowering the pools floor - turns out that ruins the water and completely destroys the arab/greek feeling :(
I'd rather leave it like it is, but thanks very much for the suggestion mookie, jumping down would have been more fun that way.
Last edited by acid on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acid

Postby mookie on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:09 pm

A particle manifest file is not in the archive, but the broader point is that installing according to the instructions (adjusting the particle manifest if already present) cannot be done automatically, and automatically is how the vast majority of map installations get done.
mookie
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby acid on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:30 pm

Edit: Finally.

The gamebanana, acidmaps and mapgate DLs now all include particle manifests, particle files and instructions. I mixed up the pmf.txt and install instructions last time. Sorry for the holdup.
acid

Postby srredfire on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:28 am

The music in the frag video made me laugh.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mookie on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:08 am

Works, looks pretty cool.
mookie
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby acid on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Alright then :D
I'll continue optimizing the map now, I already could reduce the file size from 15 to 4 MB by using models.
acid

Return to Showcase